Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've moved on from our (mostly) faithful 1999 Ody EX.

Coming home from our memorial day camping trip, 4 bikes on the roof and trailer in tow, I noticed the revs climbing but not the speed. Big time uh-oh. I downshifted into D3 and limped off the exit ramp that was just ahead. At the top of the ramp I had to give it a lot of gas to get it over the hump and then I coasted down the hill to a BP station. I looked under hood and under the car and found the driver's side soaked with trans fluid. Awesome.

Since we weren't far from home, I called friends and they came up with 2 cars, their Ody and Silverado HD. The family and dog piled into their Ody with the wife while the husband and I hooked the trailer to the truck and piled the bikes in the bed. I had the van towed to the Acura dealer where my friend is the service manager.

He diagnosed the leak at the service ports or something and was able to seal it back up with fresh crush washers. He topped it off and it once again drove fine, but he said based on how black the fluid was, trans #3 wasn't long for this world.

Trade in time.

So, last night, we said goodbye to a family friend who had taken us on 160,000 miles through 10 states over 8.5 years and traded it on a 2010 Saturn Outlook XR. Really loved out Ody and would prefer a new one, but need better towing capacity. The GM Lambdas (Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave and Saturn Outlook) are great for towing and close in space and MPG.

The only 2010 Saturns made were the Outlooks and they were sold to rental outlets. Ours was a rental for 6 months and accumulated 12K miles. Because Saturn is out of business, their value has dropped. My Outlook was $3K-$5K less than a comparable Traverse.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pictures of our new ride:

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Enjoy the new ride, dgs.:cool:

OF

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I wasn't planning on leaving the site, but realities of life and all I'm not likely gonna be back very often.

Not going to cancel my account or anything though. :stupid:

·
Registered
369 Posts
We almost bought the Acadia/Outlook while Pilot shopping, but turned back to the Ody for slightly better MPG rating, more room for people and "stuff", and only 1,000 less towing capacity.

Nice ride either way...hope it lasts as long as your Ody did!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, the Outlook will tow 1,700 more than the Ody and 700 more than the Pilot. The Pilot has to be 4WD to get the full 4,500 lb capacity, the outlook will tow 5,200 with the slightly more thrifty FWD.

I thought hard about a Pilot, but the third row is tight and there is very little luggage space behind row three compared with the Outlook. I will miss the cavernous rear of the Ody, though. I think the Ody has double the cargo space back there that the Outlook does, but the Outlook has close to double the Pilot's.

My experience with Honda transmissions had me gun shy about towing with another one too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow...I'm nearly 100% sure that in 2009 they had a 4500 max for the Acadia, which matched the Pilot. It was a key number I was using to compare. Having 5200 and a few other features (and looks) we really liked, the Acadia woulnd have won us over.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometime during the 2009 model year, they bumped from 4,500 to 5,200.

I liked that I can get the full towing capacity with FWD, with the Pilot you have to get AWD and loose a few MPG. The GMs are better equipped for towing too and have more room inside.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
That is one sweet popup towing mobile. Selectable 6 speed trans, prewired for trailer brake control, tow/haul that changes the shift points AND ups the alternator voltage slightly to help charge the trailer battery.

But I DO hope you got one with the factory tow package. GM ain't like Honda where all the tow stuff is easily added after the fact.

They bumped the tow rating to 5,200# when they when to the direct injection fuel injector technology (more power). That's pretty cutting edge engine design. IMO worth a synthetic oil, then just change via the OLM reading since it will be extra conservative due to being programmed for dino oil assumptions.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, I made sure it had the V92 code inside the glove box door indicating the factory tow package. Saw others on various forums get burned by buying first then trying to add the tow package later. You can add the hitch & a trans cooler, but that doesn't increase the base tow rating from 2,000 lbs as far as GM's concerned.

The 6 speed takes some getting used to. Loping along at about 1,900 RPM at 70 MPH, you have to get your foot in it to add any speed. It has to shift down to 5th, 6th is all economy, little oomph.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Like the current Odys, the top TWO gears in the Outlook are overdrives. When towing or in hilly terrain, feel free to simply lock out 6th.

Sure wish I could lock out 5 on the Odyssey when pulling my popup!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just did a nice round trip with the camper from central OH to the Michigan UP. Towed like a dream, much more solid than the Ody. When in tow mode, it would stay out of 6th on it's own much of the time, didn't feel the need to do it myself (although I did for a time.)

In fact, it did so well that I didn't feel that I needed to keep one eye on the tach all the time.

The down side was a pretty consistent 13 MPG with the trailer hooked up and the cruise set on 67 MPH. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts