Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the Odyssey's rear bumper is designed to be stepped or stood on ?
I just brought home our 2002 TW RES L and noticed the black plastic cover on top of the flat portion of the rear bumper. It must be there for a reason ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
It can probably be stepped on but I wouldn't try standing on it. The top of the bumper is a common place for scratches, either from loading/unloading items, or just tying your shoes. That's the reason for it. Bumpers like these are generally no more than a bumper cover over Styrofoam.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I guess the foam must be pretty strong cuz I've stood on it many times to get to the roof rack area, and I weigh 240 pounds. I havent' noticed any sagging yet (on the bumper).

·
Registered
273 Posts
I thought it was made to stand on. I step up there to wash the top. Guess I should stop. I use a high pressure sprayer so it is not necessery. It looks as if it was made to stand on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been stepping on that black strip every time I wash mine for the past 18 months and I weight 240Lbs. The bumper has yet to bulge.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Robert

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hotan1:
I was wondering if the Odyssey's rear bumper is designed to be stepped or stood on ?
I just brought home our 2002 TW RES L and noticed the black plastic cover on top of the flat portion of the rear bumper. It must be there for a reason ?
</font>

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The bumper cover covers a block of styrofoam so even if it does sag, the cover will come back even if the foam below is deformed. This is so a minor bump from other cars do not deform the bumper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts