Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed trailer wiring in my '16 Odyssey and drove it to O'Reilly's to get a multimeter to test it. No problems with the drive there or back. I ran out of time to test it that day, but then I had my son help me test the turn signals, brakes, etc. After everything tested well, we were shutting up the garage and I noticed the ignition didn't seem to be doing what it normally does, but didn't think much of it.

Today I opened the sliding door, and it wouldn't close later. Same thing happened with the other sliding door. I tried to start the car and it gave me the "no key" yellow signal on the dashboard. I also tried my wife's key.

After some preliminary online research I found someone having a similar issue because they blew a fuse while adding wiring for electric trailer brakes.They had blown a 50A fuse somehow, but I wasn't able to understand where that fuse was.

Is it likely that I blew a fuse while testing my wiring? If so, how do I go about determining which fuse I blew? If not, what other causes should I try out? As you may surmise, I'm not electronically saavy.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
First, did you use the OEM wiring harness, and aftermarket direct-fit harness or something else? Standard 4-flat connector, or did you also install a brake controller?

Do any or all of the following things work on the van right now:
  • Parking lights
  • Brake lights
  • Rear powered hatch (from remote, dash or tailgate button) if equipped
  • The lock/unlock buttons using the remote, and proximity key lock/unlock
  • Flashers
Any chance the multimeter leads were hooked up to the amps/current test connections instead of the voltage test connections at some point?

-Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!
I installed an aftermarket harness. I think it's direct-fit. They call it "plug & play." It's a standard 4 flat connector.

All of the items you listed work.

If there is something I could do wrong with the multimeter, there's a chance I did it. I was googling how to test with it as I went along and took a few tries to get to the settings that showed what I expected. I'm attaching a picture of the settings I ended up with, including the wires still plugged in.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The fact you went and got the multi meter after the fact has me perplexed. How did you know what you were connecting into was the correct harness? If you did blow or damage a major fuse it will be in the outside box under the hood. They are large and you can test them with your new meter. Certainly sounds plausible you may have blown a fuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: After checking all of the fuses I could, I noticed this that worked before were going out and the interior lights were dim. Only then did I do the obvious - check my 4 year old battery.
Long story short, I now have a working battery and working car.

In response to jnissen, the kit I bought has clear instructions with pictures & I found a few videos online of the same install, so that's how I knew what to do. I went to the store to get a plug in tester specifically designed for the 4 prong trailer wiring harness, but they were out so I came home with a multimeter instead. In the end I've now learned a little about multimeters so I came out ahead.

Thanks for the replies. This forum has been a big help to me in the last couple of months.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Good to learn a new tool. I’m biased since I’m an electrical engineer! I always double check all connections prior to following most institutions. I’ve seen lots of documentation mistakes over time and with electronic components. In my experience you don’t get a second try unless you shell out a lot for replacement parts if it was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
647 Posts
How did you know what you were connecting into was the correct harness?
Just as an FYI - in this particular case... the rear fuse box has two specific (and unique) plugs for the rear trailer harness. There is kinda no way to mess it up. (also an electrical engineer here, and have recently installed the OEM trailer harness)

Sounds like just having the doors open, etc. for a bit too long was the straw that broke the battery's back.

-Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts