·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jim,
You should charge college hills honda for that ad yo just ran for them. Their reserve prices appear to be the same as handa regular prices. Thank you for the effort and keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by rollie66 (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh My LORD!!! Is College Hill Honda a sucker or what??!!???

They are really not selling their products at all!!!

IMHO, they are just promoting (aka. advertising) their existence to the internet community and Ebayers. By the time the autions end, they can choose to not sell their products if "reserve" not met OR if they are lucky enough to earn a few bucks from some idiots who did not do their homework. Killing two birds with one throw - (am I right on using that phrase?)

Cunning suckers!!
I think we should give this company some bad reviews on ebay's "seller rating".

------------------
abyez
'99 GG EX

C

·
0 Posts
First of all I would like to thank the posts both good and bad. We have noticed members of this site visiting us from your advertisements not ours. This is how we noticed honda-odyssey.com because of its' referrals to our web site. Ebay users have been a great source of business, both with winning bidders and repeat catalog buyers. One of the main reasons for telling who we are in our listings besides "advertising", is so Ebay users can view our catalog before bidding so they don't spend over our catalog prices. So far we have noticed that our Ebayers are paying about 10% less bidding, than buying identical products sold on our web site or other similar sites. Above 80% of our auctions are completed with a purchase, almost all under our catalog prices. We are simply exploring other ways to sell parts and gain customer awareness.
Our dealership in general does little if any advertising and we rely on our good previous customer base to spread the word. Ebay has been successful for us thus far, so we plan on using it to help build a loyal Honda Accessory customer base for future business. It just so happens that a majority of interest relies in Odyssey Accessories, therefore us listing more of these type items.
Thank you all for noticing whether you applaud or boo our efforts. Every customer is important to us. We hope that our small place in the Internet market helps all of you, as consumers, find another place for comparison, research, and value even if a few people can't appreciate what we are trying to accomplish.

Thank you,
Paul Pacek

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abyez:
Oh My LORD!!! Is College Hill Honda a sucker or what??!!???

They are really not selling their products at all!!!

IMHO, they are just promoting (aka. advertising) their existence to the internet community and Ebayers. By the time the autions end, they can choose to not sell their products if "reserve" not met OR if they are lucky enough to earn a few bucks from some idiots who did not do their homework. Killing two birds with one throw - (am I right on using that phrase?)

Cunning suckers!!
I think we should give this company some bad reviews on ebay's "seller rating".

</font>

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would applaud your efforts if your reserve price was only 10% below youR catalog price. Lower your reserve prices and many of us will consider using you. When you set reserves that are as high as we can purchase from other sources, why bother with the bidding process at all!

C

·
0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately there is not alot of mark up on these accessories. Almost all of the online catalogs mark up their accessories 20% over cost. On ebay, once they take their cut on the sold item, plus their costs for posting, we end up making only a few dollars per accessory. For people that are not aware of Honda parts catalogs, ebay is a viable selling option. Yes the end prices are are not much different, but for many saving $2 or $3 is a big deal. Where you usually do save a significant amount on an auction is on used, overstocked, discontinued, or damaged parts. If there was more profit available, believe me the prices would reflect it, not just through us but with everyone else doing the same thing. Parts will always vary depending on the company, but Internet savy people, like on honda-odyssey.com know the sites to compare prices. You are the people that benefit from your experiences online. Many others are not as Internet literate as far as where to look. In short, auctions in your case don't work because you know where else to buy.

Paul Pacek

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rollie66:
I would applaud your efforts if your reserve price was only 10% below youR catalog price. Lower your reserve prices and many of us will consider using you. When you set reserves that are as high as we can purchase from other sources, why bother with the bidding process at all!</font>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, that's take a look at the philosophy.

First of all, the "ethics" of ebay is what's in question here. A 20% markup on ebay is like selling here. Has anyone there who is using ebay ever taken a course in Economics?

"A couple dollars?"- let's be truthful here. A listing fee on a 6 disc changer's going to be around $3.30. The reserve price auction fee is $1. Next, 5% of $25 is $1.25, plus the additional price will be $11 or so for the final value price. That's around $16.50 total for selling a $450 item which you state has a 20% markup. $90 (20% of $450) - $16.50 is ALOT more than $16.50. Even 10% markup and you're doing pretty good, especially considering that you're getting FREE advertising too.

Note, I own an internet company that sells on ebay as one of our advertising venues, and I get approximately 4000% more customers where I simply sell my items at DIRECT cost because I give those people who see our adds a feeling that they are either 1) saving a considerable amount of money by looking at our site, or 2) that we are offering a select amount of customers a savings in trade for doing business on ebay.

Just a simple word of advice from a business owner- lower your prices on ebay, and you WILL sell more items both on ebay and on your website, and while you will make less profit on your ebay sales, you will ultimately make more profit from increased sales. In essence, broaden your target market from simply those that don't know any better to those (us) who do know better and are looking for good deals. Do this and you effectively increase your sales potential.

Later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My post above was out of line. I made the assumption that these guys were selling on ebay at their catalog prices, but they are not. Their Cd changer that sells for $450 on their site and just about anywhere else was $399 reserve price on ebay, which would be a good deal if someone won. Sorry I bad mouthed you guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts