Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else out there noticed that their Odyssey is surging ahead when you come to a complete stop. What is this and how to get it fixed? It is not bad but is definitely noticable. Any input is greatly appreciated.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here we go again. Perhaps you can supply more information. Does it happen all the time. What is your idle speed. Does it happen only in D4. Exactly what do you feel at a stop. Define surge.
All automatics will have certain amount creep at a stop.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have an 02 SS EXL-RES, and I haven't noticed anything that resembles that at all.

I do remember on my previous van, the Previa, we'd be sitting at a stop light or whatever and the A/C compressor would come on. Simultaneously, I'd feel the van lurch forward just a bit. I'm sure this happened for a logical reason, whether it was supposed to happen at all or not.

Maybe this is what you're feeling. Turn the climate control all the way off and see what happens.

P

·
0 Posts
I agree. Our Chrysler does the same thing. I thought it was tranny trouble, but my step dad said to try it with the a/c off-and waddaya know, it didn't happen.

Michelle

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happens pretty much all the time when I come to a complete stop. While stopped, the van surges ahead a bit and actually moves. I am in D4 which I'm sure most everybody drives in so that should not be the problem. The idle is about 600 to 700 rpm. I have watched the rpm gauge when I have stopped and it will move up a bit when the Ody. urges forward. I have just turned 600 miles so I will take it in to the dealer to get it fixed. I was wondering if anyone else's van did this and if they've taken to the dealer yet to see what the problem was. Other than the wind howl and the surging I still love this van.

------------------

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine does the same thing some times? Maybe it's a Starlight silver issue??
Joking!
I have just written it off as a minor quirk, but not an issue that would require a service call. Please let me know if anyone has this dealt with by the dealer, and how it is taken care of.

CHIA

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It happens pretty much all the time when I come to a complete stop. While stopped, the van surges ahead a bit and actually moves.</font>
Again, turn your climate control COMPLETELY OFF and see if the behavior changes.

I'll bet ten bucks that it does--that you don't see that behavior.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adam1991....I'll try that and post what happens. Thanks for the advice.

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem too. After the van comes to a complete stop at the lights, a moment later, the van jerks forward. It could be the auto-transmission down shifting back to first.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odyflower:
It could be the auto-transmission down shifting back to first.

</font>
This would be my first guess too, with the info supplied. At a "complete" stop it shouldn't be felt certainly.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've noticed this too. I feel it primarily when coming to a stop, generally in the 10-0 MPH range. I assumed that this is merely the tranny. I would consider it a slight surge, but only when slowing to a stop, never when completely stopped.

Michael Harris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts