Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone here already heard enough of Ody transmission problem. However, myself being a 2003 Ody tranny victim, I would like to know more technicals behind what's going wrong and get educated on the whole story. This guy from Edmund forum summarised very well of the problem Honda had with Ody tranny. Since Honda claims it is no longer a problem with 07 models and on (I blindly trust them and get a 2012 EX), could some experts here chime in on what Honda has actually fixed with the 5-speed transmission around 07? And any fix/improvement for 2011 model 5AT and on?

Honda Odyssey Transmission Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds
#2070 of 2107 Re: 2002 Odyssey Transmission failure (73K) [hondalover10] by planetarytras Dec 03, 2011 (8:53 am)
Replying to: hondalover10 (Oct 28, 2006 8:19 pm)

i am a transmission builder in south o.c. i work on hundreds of honda transmissions, this is nothing new as far as the problems you were having. I agree partly with honda being one of the premier manufacturers but saying this, there are a couple of designs that deserve no praise.The biggest flaw being that the filter is not serviceable. the trans filter is internal and the trans has to be removed and completely disassembled to replace it. by the time the filter is plugged, there are mechanical failures withing the transmission.The second issue i have, is that second gear oiler that is the major upgrade in your transmission. It is basically a band-aid repair, not a redesign of the transmission. Even with this oiler assembly, they still fail. although it may prolong the inevitable, it is just a after thought. The transmissions behind the v-6 have more failures basically due to the extra torque provided by the engine. the trans is really undersized for the job. You can expect between 80k and 125k before the trans will have issues again. ive seen them reach 150k miles but 125k miles is the average. It also depends on how the vehicle is driven.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No offense, but it seems kind of silly to talk about a 2007 fix and exactly what was done on a 2011 forum. A quick internet search will quickly reveal that they did indeed fix the problem. For 2007 and on Consumer Reports has the transmission rated at much better from average. Before I bought the 2011 I did plenty of research and within 30 minutes of reading it was quite clear there were no real problems from 2007 on. My transmission works great and I expect it to for a very long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts