Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
@mindoro, it boils down where you choose comfort(17s) or looks(19s). 18s for me is not really that noticeable upgrade. Its either go big or nothing at all. I have seen locally a 2008 touring with 19zdx rims and the looks in person is really good. I dunno if riding on it for a 10hr drive to Disneyworld would be that comfortable. My 17s 3rd gen Pilot wheels are very comfortable with 235/60/17. I remember back in my younger days how bone jarring the 40series on my civic were. But at that time the thinner the better plus having it slammed is a picture perfect for "Hellaflush" society but now gettin' older my brain can't take that much jarring anymore. I like the look of 19s but my body wants the comfort of 17s. Maybe i'll put the 19s when I park and back to 17s when i roll on long trips. The moral on these is comfort and looks dont go together. Maybe someday when i can buy the AirRunner bolt-on suspension kit @$4,100 then i'll get back at 'ya for a feeback. More meat on the sidewall the better comfort to absorb the road imperfection.
It seems were on the same page with this topic. Being a fellow Pinoy-American, I've been through the same milestones on what cars (styles and height) match my age demographic (low pro pick ups in the 80s, rice rockets, slammed euro tuned garage queens, etc). In my past experiences, guys who bit the bullet and purchased 20's will not tell you the ride is choppy or harsh fearing they'd look like idiots to everyone. Personally, I'm on the fence about upgrading from 17s to 19s due to ride comfort. We'll see how things work out, I may just upgrade to Acura MDX/ZDX takeoffs in the future. (shrugs)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to give you guys a honest opinion about 20s....I choose the best rated tire for comfort and noise (yokohama prada spec-x) and I can tell you that I do feel more bumps and vibrations over the OEM 17s. But it is not as bad as you would think as long as you keep the stock suspension setup. I do not feel like I made a mistake switching. Lowering the ride especially if you stay with the stock shocks will affect ride quality a lot more than moving from 17s to 20s. I switched over 10 cars over the past 5 years, some sport and some not but all of them suffered in ride qualify when lowered. This is with aftermarket shocks or oem shocks. If you go with aftermarket shocks to go with lower springs, they are all tuned for performance. And if you stick with OEM shocks, you'll going to have less compression range and eventually blow it out since its not designed to be sitting 1.5"-2" lower. So for those who plan on lowering your Odyssey with 18s or 19s thinking it'll be better than 20s, think again. But if you don't plan on lowering, 19s will probably feel a bit better than 20s but not by much.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just to give you guys a honest opinion about 20s....I choose the best rated tire for comfort and noise (yokohama prada spec-x) and I can tell you that I do feel more bumps and vibrations over the OEM 17s. But it is not as bad as you would think as long as you keep the stock suspension setup. I do not feel like I made a mistake switching. Lowering the ride especially if you stay with the stock shocks will affect ride quality a lot more than moving from 17s to 20s. I switched over 10 cars over the past 5 years, some sport and some not but all of them suffered in ride qualify when lowered. This is with aftermarket shocks or oem shocks. If you go with aftermarket shocks to go with lower springs, they are all tuned for performance. And if you stick with OEM shocks, you'll going to have less compression range and eventually blow it out since its not designed to be sitting 1.5"-2" lower. So for those who plan on lowering your Odyssey with 18s or 19s thinking it'll be better than 20s, think again. But if you don't plan on lowering, 19s will probably feel a bit better than 20s but not by much.
+1 on getting quality tires with comfort & noise rating being a priority. Many vehicles nowadays come with 50 and 40 series tires and no one even notices a reduction in road comfort. I think a reason many folks complain about comfort in their lowered imports (including myself) with 40 series tires is because when purchasing "rims", cost and looks are the priority. so you look for the wheels you like in the size you want then get the cheapest tires you can find to keep the cost down. I am speaking from experience :)

"Comfort" is also a very subjective thing :) I've got 20s and lowered with H&R springs with OEM shocks and I still find the ride very comfortable. I will admit that you feel more of the bumps and some of the larger potholes will feel harsh but luckily we don't run into those very often. My comfort test with the wheels and springs was my family. I did the upgrade in stages. I put on the 20s and drove around for a couple of months that way without mentioning to kids or wife. wife asked about the shiny wheels but i just said i got them cleaned :) Neither kids nor wife noticed any difference. I actually barely noticed a difference as well. Then I installed the h&r springs and did the same thing. kids did not notice anything and wife only noticed when we would go over a big pothole or very rough roads. Ultimate test was a 2000 mile road trip. We stuffed the van to the max and had a 21 cu ft cargo box mounted on the roof (aka way beyond load limits lol). Wife and kids didn't notice a change in the ride and slept most of the way as usual. This says a lot since my kids are 4yrs old, 3 yrs old, 1.5yrs old and 3 months old. 2 are very light sleepers and they were never woken up by the road noise or ride quality.

if anyone in the chicagoland area wants to experience the ride in my setup, feel free to PM me and we can set something up. You can then decide for yourself if that setup meets your comfort requirements.

lowering the van was not only for looks and handling, it was also to assist the kids in entry/exit of the odyssey. Along with side steps, the kids can all get in and out on their own. Ours backs are very happy and the kids feel great about being "big enough" to get in and out on their own.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Autobot, your Odyssey looks great! Really nice pics. With our Odysseys being so close to the ground already, seems lowering would make it really hard to drive with all steep curbs. I believe the stock ground clearance is only 4.5". I find the wheel gap for our Odysseys is also much lower than say of a SUV, so with the 20s I don't feel it looks bad. Most people who put on 19"+ wheels on cars and suvs all lower because the wheel gap becomes huge, I don't feel that's a big issue with our Odysseys. I will say seeing your pics might make me change my mind. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agree. Super sweet looking ride Autobot. What are the specs of your wheels and tires Autobot?
Thanks, Mindoro! It makes driving the minivan a bit more enjoyable, plus it helps me find our odyssey in the sea of Odysseys in the most parking lots :)

I got the wheels and tires from tirerack. They are Bremmer Kraft BR05 in BRIGHT PVD. The size is 20" x 9" with a 42mm offset. I wasn't sure if they would rub since most folks go with 20x8.5 with a 45mm offset. For tires, I went with 245/40ZR -20 General G-MAX AS-03 XL. It is a new tire but so far has received good reviews. It also has a UTQG rating of 480 A A which is the highest of the tires in this price range. I only have about 1000 miles on them but have been very happy so far. Good balance between road noise, comfort, handling and tread wear

·
Registered
174 Posts
Autobot, your Odyssey looks great! Really nice pics. With our Odysseys being so close to the ground already, seems lowering would make it really hard to drive with all steep curbs. I believe the stock ground clearance is only 4.5". I find the wheel gap for our Odysseys is also much lower than say of a SUV, so with the 20s I don't feel it looks bad. Most people who put on 19"+ wheels on cars and suvs all lower because the wheel gap becomes huge, I don't feel that's a big issue with our Odysseys. I will say seeing your pics might make me change my mind. :)
Thanks, gtung! I am very happy with how it has turned out. Plus, got lucky with the OEM front and rear lip and side steps. If I had to go aftermarket, i wouldn't have done it. Yeah, the odyssey is pretty close to the ground already but I wanted to eliminate the wheel gap and improve the handling a bit by taking out the squishiness of the stock suspension. The odyssey suspension now feels like a big sedan instead of a big refrigerator on wheels :) as far as ground clearance, it has not been an issue. i have to admit that we live in the suburbs so we are not exposed to very many road obstacles. however, with that said, we have never scraped the undercarriage or the front and rear lip on medians, curbs or parking blocks and my wife spends plenty of time at shopping malls and schools :) Luckily, she also enjoys the look of the odyssey and tries her best to keep it nice, so she doesnt park as close to curbs, etc as she used to. The wheels on the other hand are different story. lol. at this rate I may need new ones next year. luckily you really cant see the curb rash unless you look up close.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks, Mindoro! It makes driving the minivan a bit more enjoyable, plus it helps me find our odyssey in the sea of Odysseys in the most parking lots :)

I got the wheels and tires from tirerack. They are Bremmer Kraft BR05 in BRIGHT PVD. The size is 20" x 9" with a 42mm offset. I wasn't sure if they would rub since most folks go with 20x8.5 with a 45mm offset. For tires, I went with 245/40ZR -20 General G-MAX AS-03 XL. It is a new tire but so far has received good reviews. It also has a UTQG rating of 480 A A which is the highest of the tires in this price range. I only have about 1000 miles on them but have been very happy so far. Good balance between road noise, comfort, handling and tread wear
Thank you. Looks like I'm sticking with 18s for my next wheel size afterall - should be a good compromise between looks and ride quality.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Autobot, your van has to be among the best-looking 3rd gen's I've seen. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me put some 20" wheels on it, but she won't budge. I have 18"s and 40-series tires on my small sedan, and they made no real difference in comfort from the stock 16" wheels (handles better though), so I'd imagine 18" wheels would be perfect on the van, but those 20"s look so good!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Autobot, your van has to be among the best-looking 3rd gen's I've seen. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me put some 20" wheels on it, but she won't budge. I have 18"s and 40-series tires on my small sedan, and they made no real difference in comfort from the stock 16" wheels (handles better though), so I'd imagine 18" wheels would be perfect on the van, but those 20"s look so good!
Thanks, wetamup! I am really happy how the odyssey has come together. i recently installed a polished front grill overlay so i still need to update my photos. also, i must have upset the wheel gods when i commented that my wheels may not last another year as they had another encounter with a curb last night and lost :( The wife went into the city for a play date and let's just say her parallel parking skills are "lacking." 18s would also be a nice upgrade from the stock 16s plus with more sidewall, the wheels may be a bit more protected from curb rash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Autobot152 nice 3rd gen. Im new to the forum. Where did you purchase the front and rear lip, and side steps? I would like this for my 3rd gen as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Autobot152 nice 3rd gen. Im new to the forum. Where did you purchase the front and rear lip, and side steps? I would like this for my 3rd gen as well.
thanks, neek175. they are honda oem parts. what year is your 3rd gen? they only made the front and rear lip for 2005-2007 as Honda revamped the exterior in the later years. nice thing is they come pre painted so be sure to know your color when ordering. the side steps should fit all 3rd gen but they were made for 2008-2010 so those years will have the bolts in the frame. for 2005-2007, you will have to use self tapping lag bolts to secure them to the vehicle. not difficult but adds ~15 min to install and you will have to go to your local hardware store to purchase the lag bolts so adds a couple of bucks to the price.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have 19's, but if you dont mind I would post a pic of my 20's. I couldn't find a thread for just 20's or a picture only thread for that matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks, neek175. they are honda oem parts. what year is your 3rd gen? they only made the front and rear lip for 2005-2007 as Honda revamped the exterior in the later years. nice thing is they come pre painted so be sure to know your color when ordering. the side steps should fit all 3rd gen but they were made for 2008-2010 so those years will have the bolts in the frame. for 2005-2007, you will have to use self tapping lag bolts to secure them to the vehicle. not difficult but adds ~15 min to install and you will have to go to your local hardware store to purchase the lag bolts so adds a couple of bucks to the price.

Thanks for that info. I own a 2008 model , so Im SOL on the front and rear lips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed 19x8.5 rims with 245 50 19 Pirrellis. I know it needs springs/suspension, but I couldn't wait to put these on.

DSC05018.jpg DSC05017.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
20" set-up here, rides great with an all-season tire (I run Falken PT-722) and I drive it 20K a year. Definitely feels more "connected" to the road, with very slight increase in harshness over big bumps or expansion joints. I actually did not care for the mushiness of the stock rubber. The payoff with the bigger wheels/tires is better steering feel, better braking (wider contact patch) and MUCH better cornering capability. I drive the snot out of this van and I can't tell you how many "sporty" cars I've pushed up and down offramps. No SUV can hold a candle to a lowered van on good rubber.

To be honest, the van is sometimes more fun than my X5M on 22" because people don't see the van coming... it's fun dusting a punk in a newish BMW 328i in a minivan.

The new set of wheels I'm building will be 20x9.5" on all four corners with 275/35-20.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know someone has to have the ZDX 19s (7 spoke) here on the forum, I think they would look awesome on the Odyssey..... I would swear the pic on the first page from car domain has Acura rims. Anyone else have a picture or experience with the ZDX's, and what tire size works best. THANX!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Didn't get any replies from my last post.... but went out and bought some new ZDX 19's. Sure does ride better than the worn and out of round PAXs.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 73 Posts