Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I live in Australia and own 2000 Odyssey. I had the car since 2003 and never had any issues. I know the American Odyssey is somewhat different to what we have in Aus, However I think the Mechanical aspects should be similar. Last weekend we went for a long driver from home (4 hours). When I got back I noticed the following problems with my Car:
1. the car rolls back when the gear is in Drive position.
2. When shifting the gear from driver into reverse or p I can hear a crunching noise
3. When driving off there is a bit of hesitation.
Other than these issues the transmission works well and changes gears as required. I also forgot to mention there is a bit of hesitation on all four gears (1, 2, 3 and fourth).
I was told the oil is bad; I changed the oil with genuine Honda oil last year. when the car done 180000 Km. The car now done 214000 Km. To my great disappointment the local dealership simply told me my transmission is on the way out and referred me to a transmission workshop. I took the car to the workshop and the technician told me he does not know how much damage is there and that he needs to open it (something I expected to hear), He also told me that I am going to be $3000 - $3500 AUD out of pocket. Now I am not sure if it is worth it considering the current market value of my car (around $10000 - $12000 AUD). A friend of mine who is and Auto Electrician and has good knowledge of cars advised my transmission might need flushing and also to replace the internal filter. I am just wondering if Honda users had a similar problem and what was the solution. Also is it possible to change the internal filter ?. Your guidance and advise are much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
ATF flushing is not recommended - especially with a machine. 4 times a drain and fill with driving in between is preferred.

But, sorry to say, that your transmission does not sound like it will last much longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks New Dad. I know my transmission is on the way out. But I was hoping it last a little longer till we save up for another car. I think this time I am going with a Toyota ( Tarago). Any way how much driving do I do between each drain and fill. Also should I be using Honda genuine oil ( $70 AUD for 4 liters) Or should I use Dexron 3 for this process and then Honda oil.

On the other hand I watched the following Video on Youtube for flushing without a machine. Do you think this process is
Ok ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
You should take a drive on the highway to lock the torque converter around 80 km/hr each time you drain and fill ATF (about 3 liters).

At this point I would use the Honda ATF although the price seems high. No sense making a big change at this point.

The video shows the proper way to replace ATF without flushing. If you can do this procedure this would be the way.

The other way is just draining 3 liters of ATF, replace with new ATF and then go for a highway drive. Repeat this another 2 times for a total of 3. Then one one final drain and fill. This will get most of the old ATF out but not as much as the video method. One benefit of the 4 X drain and fill method is the driving in between which will reach the torque converter.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Some of those things you list sound like it could be bad motor mounts, especially the rear one. The rear one on mine is bad at the moment, I don't get a crunch but more like a thud when taking off quickly. The feeling of hesitation and the roll back could be from engine movement. Just something to check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe I took my car to Honda dealership, three transmission repair shops. Some of them drove my car and they came up with the advise (you need to replace your transmission) quoting me the cost of $3000 - $4000 Aus dollars. I asked how about changing the oil. They said don't waste your Money. Anyway a friend of mine who is an Auto Electrician insisted even though some damage is already done because the oil was bad, he told me your problem is because of the oil ( when my transmission oil becomes hot it does not provide enough hydraulic pressure because it is overheated twice before. I decided to go for it. So I bought 4 liters of ATF oil, drained the old oil and filled up with the new oil. following a test drive with the car now, The hesitation when driving off is gone, the car does not roll back when on a little slope, the only problem I still have although it much better is the noise when shift the gear from Drive to reverse. The noise is still there but I can hardly hear it. What this says is that my friend was right and the cost was only $65. I know my transmission is probably a little tired but now I feel the transmission is a lot happier with the new juice. Hopefully it will last me for another year or so. Only if I knew when the car overheats the transmission oil also overheats. The overheating was due to leakage in my radiator. Anyway I would like to thank all members who extended a helping hand from so far away. Your feedback meant a lot to me thanks once more and wish all the best with your Hondas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts