Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just found out that the coolant is leaking from water pump area. Is there anyway to stop this leak without touching timing belt? Should I replace the timing belt with water pump this time? The timing belt and water pump were replaced in 2015 at 115k miles.
Thanks

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Don't think there is a way to just swap out the water pump by itself. If this were my Oddy, I'd just bite the bullet and get the whole timing belt work done including the tensioner.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
What parts were used last time?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Like everyone is saying....get the timing belt replaced with Aisin kit. Not worthy to just replace the pump...the belt need to be removed in order to remove the pump anyways.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Like everyone is saying....get the timing belt replaced with Aisin kit. Not worthy to just replace the pump...the belt need to be removed in order to remove the pump anyways. View attachment 163657
Good luck getting your hand on one of those Aisin kit nowadays! Someone on this board (I am not naming names lol) must have got the rest of them from RockAuto. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
Good luck getting your hand on one of those Aisin kit nowadays! Someone on this board (I am not naming names lol) must have got the rest of them from RockAuto. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
Well, you could always get them from the official Aisin store on Amazon.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
Oof, I would just get the whole job done as well. Wouldn't want to risk a leaky water pump. Plus, if it seizes, it'll take the timing belt with it.

Very curious as to what brand of parts you used last time as well. 6 years and 60K miles is quite early for a water pump "failure" if quality parts were used.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I don't know what brand they used. I bought it after first timing belt replacement.
For timing belt job, I am little worry about removing the crank bolt

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
Looking up 41184 water pump yields plenty of info about the Gates 41184 water pump. So there's your problem right there.

As for the crank bolt, get the Lisle socket and a good impact. With that you'll have no trouble.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I don't know what brand they used. I bought it after first timing belt replacement.
These two sentences just leave me scratching my head.

Note to OP: While you redacted the shop name and yours up at the top, you left the names and cell numbers at the bottom. If you are serious about redacting, you may want to edit.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
These two sentences just leave me scratching my head.

Note to OP: While you redacted the shop name and yours up at the top, you left the names and cell numbers at the bottom. If you are serious about redacting, you may want to edit.
The timing belt job was paid for by the previous owner.

Reactions: jasonkim

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The timing belt job was paid for by the previous owner.
LOL. Brain cramp! I took the antecedent of "it" to be the water pump, not the vehicle.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I'm just impressed as all get-out that our own Ted used "antecedent" in the most instructional way possible.

Sir Ted, my high school English teachers could not accomplish what you just did in that post. It all makes sense now! :D(y)

Okay, enough of my self-imposed geek-ery. :geek::geek::geek:

Back to topic (man, SERIOUS topic drift by me)....although Gates makes OEM belts, they do not manufacture water pumps for OEM's, and I have no idea who the supplier is for the Gates kit. Great bit of internet sleuthing by WiiMaster!

Even though NPW water pumps are made in Japan, the one I installed in our 1998 Accord had the gland fail after only 15,000 miles of use. The gland is the pump shaft seal.

Go Honda or Aisin.

OF

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'm just impressed as all get-out that our own Ted used "antecedent" in the most instructional way possible.

Sir Ted, my high school English teachers could not accomplish what you just did in that post. It all makes sense now! :D(y)

Okay, enough of my self-imposed geek-ery. :geek::geek::geek:

Back to topic (man, SERIOUS topic drift by me)....although Gates makes OEM belts, they do not manufacture water pumps for OEM's, and I have no idea who the supplier is for the Gates kit. Great bit of internet sleuthing by WiiMaster!

Even though NPW water pumps are made in Japan, the one I installed in our 1998 Accord had the gland fail after only 15,000 miles of use. The gland is the pump shaft seal.

Go Honda or Aisin.

OF
Well, the importance of making a pronoun agree with its antecedent was drilled in by the Sisters of St. Joseph during my GRAMMAR SCHOOL years. Nowadays, pronouns are free from the encumbrance of rules of agreement. It's so confused and confusing, I've all but given up on using them. Pronouns can get me into more trouble than they are worth!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Pronouns can get me into more trouble than they are worth!
I hear you on that one.

Sisters of St. Joseph...reminds me of this lady from the Blues Brothers:

OF

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After a long trip of moving, my van started having many issues. Started with overheating (replaced thermostat two week ago), leaking at coolant near water pump, and now ac compressor does not engage. Relay and fuse for ac compressor are good. It's bad that I just threw away a compressor before we moved.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi all,
Just found out that the coolant is leaking from water pump area. Is there anyway to stop this leak without touching timing belt? Should I replace the timing belt with water pump this time? The timing belt and water pump were replaced in 2015 at 115k miles.
Thanks
What the coolant also replaced back in 2015? In any case, you can buy just the water pump and replace just the water pump, but if you do that, you will still need to take things apart about in about 40k miles when the next TB is due. If it was me, I would buy the Aisin kit and some new coolant and do it all at once.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts