Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
What the coolant also replaced back in 2015? In any case, you can buy just the water pump and replace just the water pump, but if you do that, you will still need to take things apart about in about 40k miles when the next TB is due. If it was me, I would buy the Aisin kit and some new coolant and do it all at once.
??

His timing belt is due in 2022 - every 7 years.

Reactions: akbrush

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
I think it should be OK, given that it's being sold from the Aisin store page. I would feel comfortable with it, but keep in mind that Amazon doesn't have as good of controls over their inventory chain as RockAuto. That being said, I think fake Aisin kits are rare - the counterfeiters almost always go straight for the "OEM" branding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My $0.02. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump on my wife’s 2009 Pilot. I bought three Aisin kits on Amazon for $207 each (only place I could find them). I will be using the other two kits shortly on my ‘05 Odyssey and on my ‘10 Ridgeline. This isn’t a difficult job but it is tedious and takes some time if you’re not used to it. I’m sure the next one I do will be faster than the one I just completed. Also, the crank bolt was literally NO PROBLEM with a heavyweight crank bolt socket and my Milwaukee 1/2” impact gun. It zipped right off. Having the right tools for the job makes all the difference.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The problem with Amazon is when the order is FULFILLED BY AMAZON from a common, commingled inventory. Legit sellers, who put legit products into the Amazon warehouse can wind up having their orders fulfilled with counterfeits put in the warehouse by others.

·
Registered
2012 EXL 148,000
12 Posts
Good luck getting your hand on one of those Aisin kit nowadays! Someone on this board (I am not naming names lol) must have got the rest of them from RockAuto. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
Summit racing also sells them. They're a few bucks more there, but you get a cool sticker. Everyone will think you have a racing mini-van.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
In the case of the Aisin store on Amazon, it says sold and shipped by Amazon, rather than fulfilled by Amazon, which would only mean shipped by Amazon. So it should be safe.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well, the importance of making a pronoun agree with its antecedent was drilled in by the Sisters of St. Joseph during my GRAMMAR SCHOOL years. Nowadays, pronouns are free from the encumbrance of rules of agreement. It's so confused and confusing, I've all but given up on using them. Pronouns can get me into more trouble than they are worth!
Sorry Ted, but pronouns have become so over-rated. They're (note my correct spelling here!) going the way of cursive penmanship, or is that penpersonship. So confusing!

Seems to me that the moral of the story here is NEVER use any timing belt or water pump parts EXCEPT the OEM/Aisin ones.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Seems to me that the moral of the story here is NEVER use any timing belt or water pump parts EXCEPT the OEM/Aisin ones.
I do try to avoid absolutes, because they're often wrong in their application to varying circumstances.

If one is replacing the timing belt so as to drive the vehicle to the wrecking yard, fleaBay offers many excellent choices. So, too, if one is selling the vehicle and has no compunction about sticking it to the purchasers. When all one needs is ~25 miles of service life, there are many viable choices.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My $0.02. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump on my wife’s 2009 Pilot. I bought three Aisin kits on Amazon for $207 each (only place I could find them). I will be using the other two kits shortly on my ‘05 Odyssey and on my ‘10 Ridgeline. This isn’t a difficult job but it is tedious and takes some time if you’re not used to it. I’m sure the next one I do will be faster than the one I just completed. Also, the crank bolt was literally NO PROBLEM with a heavyweight crank bolt socket and my Milwaukee 1/2” impact gun. It zipped right off. Having the right tools for the job makes all the difference.
By the third u should be an expert. Once I did mine, I was like, next time it should be faster....8 years later.....ehh..where do I start.....?...

• Haha

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Just finished my TB job using Aisin kit at 80k+ which was previously also Aisin kit. It was due to the HT ticking cold start. I bought the kit on Rockauto I guess luckily before out of stock.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Man, the original Honda OEM HT on our 2012 Accord EX-L V6 started to tick at just over 70,000 miles on cold start. At first, the tick would gradually, but quickly go away.

As we continued to drive it, the tick just lasted longer, and longer after each cold start, and the intensity of the ticking noise immediately after cold start increased with each successive start until it was like really bad valve clatter like on a small block Chevy with really, really loose valves.

I do not like this timing belt tensioner design on the Honda V6.

OF

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
I once saw an 05-07 Odyssey idling in a parking lot. Sounded exactly like a timing belt tensioner tick. I thought about leaving the owner a note warning them, but I was in a hurry so I didn't.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

OF
Auto part Machine Event Camera accessory Flooring
Light Finger Engineering Gas Auto part

+1. In the Bundys Garage TB video, he shows the 2000 version (rectangular) and current version. If they are fully interchangeable, wonder if its a good idea to switch to that. I was also thinking about that.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
Man, the original Honda OEM HT on our 2012 Accord EX-L V6 started to tick at just over 70,000 miles on cold start. At first, the tick would gradually, but quickly go away.

As we continued to drive it, the tick just lasted longer, and longer after each cold start, and the intensity of the ticking noise immediately after cold start increased with each successive start until it was like really bad valve clatter like on a small block Chevy with really, really loose valves.

OF
Just finished my TB job using Aisin kit at 80k+ which was previously also Aisin kit. It was due to the HT ticking cold start. I bought the kit on Rockauto I guess luckily before out of stock.
0dyfamily, surgeon, I'm curious, how old were these tensioners when they started to tick/rattle, in terms of years?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My tick was 4yrs 2017 95k and 2021 168k. The HT shows some oil though not leaking down to side yet.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Just over 70,000 miles on a 9-1/2 year-old Accord EX-L V6.

The HT showed a film of oil on the seal surrounding the piston, but no leaking.

OF

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After a long trip of moving, my van started having many issues. Started with overheating (replaced thermostat two week ago), leaking at coolant near water pump, and now ac compressor does not engage. Relay and fuse for ac compressor are good. It's bad that I just threw away a compressor before we moved.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle brake Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Here is the coolant leak from my van. Can I confirm that it is from water pump?
The leak rate is different from time to time. It leaks bad if I tried to refill coolant all the way to the top at radiator. After that it is just couple drop over night. Can I wait until next summer to replace timing belt/water pump?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts