Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new 2011 v4.92 Navigation DVD update in their Honda Odyssey? I have a 2007 Odyssey and found in the past that the Honda Navigation maps and points of interest lag way behind that of a cheap $200 Garmin Nuvi and would really like to see if it is worth it before paying for an update that may not even be up to date! I've found roads built in 2006 that still aren't reflected in the 2010 DVD edition and restaurants that closed five or more years ago! Considering that the data comes from Navteq (I think) which is where Garmin gets their data, I don't understand why an in-dash system that costs thousands in the first place and updates which are way overpriced aren't more accurate and up to date as a cheap portable Nuvi. Even lifetime Nuvi updates are cheaper than a one time Honda update!

Any thoughts/comments from users? I called my local dealer to see if they had anything with the 2011 DVD version, but I got the runaround between parts, service, and sales and am hoping for a call back.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-HondaNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=fGAKCghB.LYAAAEiqj0J8Qi6&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Moved to the dedicated Navigation forum.

Have you looked up past discussions on this? There are differing opinions and plenty of good information in the prior upgrade threads for the Nav upgrades.

You can see what parts of the country were updated on the disk by checking out the Map Coverage tab on the hondanavi site you linked to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have, I just keep thinking that each year Honda will do a better job of this and this will the year that it's finally actually up to date. I'm guessing that's not the case. I just don't understand whey they're not as up to date as a Garmin Nuvi which costs the same price as an update when they both get their updates from Navteq! What is Honda doing wrong that they don't get the updates onto their system? Very strange and very frustrating.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Irony is when you buy the same disc from Canada you add up $60 on top of taxes, S&H. This is the only reason why I am still sticking to my Tomtom 9 series and don't mind paying for new maps. Tomtom beside the traffic antenna, CCTV also provides Bluetooth connectivity for phone, which makes life easier when there is a need for handsfree dialing or calling. This is just my opinion. I don't mind giving it a try if I can get an ISO version.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Navteq is selling Acura and Honda 2011 4.92 updates for $99 + shipping :D .

Good until January 31, 2011.

Linky

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Hodog16 said:
Navteq is selling Acura and Honda 2011 4.92 updates for $99 + shipping :D .

Good until January 31, 2011.

Linky
I'd be darned. You are right. Awesome find. I am going to have to order me an upgrade. For $99 + shipping it's worth it.

What I do know is that it wasn't this price last week. I got a letter in the mail and all they had last week (in the letter) was FREE SHIPPING. This is by far the cheapest I have seen for the discs. Last promotion was $149. Some folks had coupons (I never knew how they got the coupons) to bring it a bit lower but this is an excellent price.

:)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Apparently they had sent different letters to different people. I only got the free shipping code too but found this link from acurazine.

It's only good through the link, if you go to the website it's still $185.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Almost ordered this yesterday for $185 + free shipping. I got the letter last week too!

Thanks for the heads up on this deal. I just ordered it. Of course, no free shipping - like the letter said and they added local IL sales tax (because they can), so the total was $115.76.

I am sure this will be updated from our 2006 version, but I doubt they have updated the roads very well. And with all the businesses and restaurants going out of business - I am sure it was out of date before it was burned to DVD.

Thanks for the tip!

JPK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just ordered mine:

Shipping and Handling: $ 9.95
Local Taxes: $ 9.53
Total: $ 118.48

Lucky IL taxes... They are 8.75% here...

·
Registered
81 Posts
The discounted price seems to be not valid for 05 models. For 2005 year the upgrade package is showing 2 discs, one for software upgrade and one for map update. When I select 2006 or newer model the package contains a single map disc.

I think the past upgrade versions were on a single DVD which contained both the software upgrade and updated maps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ibuyufo said:
Is this worth getting?
I had no disc...so it better be worth it to me. I use the nav on my hTC EVO 4G all the time, but I figured I might as get rid of the error message and use the multi thousand dollar nav system in the van.

·
Registered
180 Posts
To answer my own post I went ahead and got it! I guess now I have the 4.73A version for sale. Ebay it goes unless someone wants it here.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nor_Cal_Guy said:
I had no disc...so it better be worth it to me. I use the nav on my hTC EVO 4G all the time, but I figured I might as get rid of the error message and use the multi thousand dollar nav system in the van.
Did you get you van from the dealer? If that's the case they should provide you with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ibuyufo said:
Did you get you van from the dealer? If that's the case they should provide you with it.
Used car lot for trade-in value price. Can't complain to much.

·
Registered
322 Posts
zsundevil said:
The discounted price seems to be not valid for 05 models. For 2005 year the upgrade package is showing 2 discs, one for software upgrade and one for map update. When I select 2006 or newer model the package contains a single map disc.

I think the past upgrade versions were on a single DVD which contained both the software upgrade and updated maps.
That looks to be correct. The packaging has special instructions for 2005 only to be sure to use the setup disc first before the update disc.

I think also older versions like 4.13 need both discs as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those bastards over there at navigation.com are swine! I never received an order number for the order I placed on Wednesday...I called them today, they said that the $99 price was a mistake and they were not processing those orders. I threw a fit and they still would not honor the price.

I found a back door on the website and replaced an order. It went through!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Nor_Cal_Guy said:
Those bastards over there at navigation.com are swine! I never received an order number for the order I placed on Wednesday...I called them today, they said that the $99 price was a mistake and they were not processing those orders. I threw a fit and they still would not honor the price.

I found a back door on the website and replaced an order. It went through!
Calm down now. On FW a couple of folks who just got the disks for $149 called for a price adjustment and got told the same thing. It seems the call center does NOT know about the $99 price. Just order again and you should be all set as you just saw. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's not $99 pn the site anymore. They knew about the 99 price and said they can not honor that price and offered me free shipping on the $189 price. I found a back door FTW!

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Nor_Cal_Guy said:
It's not $99 pn the site anymore. They knew about the 99 price and said they can not honor that price and offered me free shipping on the $189 price. I found a back door FTW!
It never was $99 directly on the site. You had to go through the special $99 link that Hodog posted a few posts up. I checked and the link still works with the $99 price.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts