Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Odyssey EX-L 2022
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I've been lurking for a while and I wanted to ask for a second opinion to this community.

I own my first Honda Odyssey since last year (2022 EX-L). I do maintenance on schedule at the local Honda Dealership in Southern California (Norm Reeves)

Yesterday during an A1 Maintenance, they mentioned the back tires were on Tire thread 2 and needed to be replaced.

I saw a few review but wanted a second opinion as it is my first minivan. Is it normal to put 22k on OEM tires?

Seems a little low... do you get better with better tires? (I saw several post here mentioning even worse mileage)

OEM Bridgestone Turango 235/60R18 EL440

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
250 Posts
We got around 24k with our OEM 18" Bridgestones and replaced them with Michelin Defender T+H 235/60R18 from Costco when they were on sale. I'm sure most people on here could agree that the OEM tires are trash.
/thread

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,960 Posts
Minivans eat tires. Just how it is. Completely normal for low quality tires to only last this long. I was at Discount Tire the other day and I was told the tires I have 5k on are already at 80%.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sounds about right. My 2018 was close to needing new tires and I had 24k miles maybe? You can buy a tire depth gauge for cheap and measure for yourself. Legal limit is 2/32” but I usually like to change at 4/32” for safety reasons.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have Continental TrueContacTour on my 4th gen. 24,000 miles and they are at 1/2 life. I love the tire over the Michelin MXV’s. I’ll try to trade the oem tires on my new Odyssey for those when I take delivery.

·
Registered
Honda Odyssey EX-L 2022
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, thank you all so much for your answers. Didn't expect such good feedback so quick! Really appreciated.

If I recap, not unusual for OEM to be that low. Look into Continental or Michelin for better ones.

I am curious, how much do you think is fair for each tire?

The Honda dealership quoted me ~$850 for 4 exact tires replacement (1/2 for only the back ones).

Thanks again

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,960 Posts
First of all, thank you all so much for your answers. Didn't expect such good feedback so quick! Really appreciated.

If I recap, not unusual for OEM to be that low. Look into Continental or Michelin for better ones.

I am curious, how much do you think is fair for each tire?

The Honda dealership quoted me ~$850 for 4 exact tires replacement (1/2 for only the back ones).

Thanks again
Yes, where you're at in terms of wear seems normal given the tires used and the fact that it's a minivan.

When I got new tires for my 06 last November I paid about $530 out the door at Discount Tire for all 4 tires (Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus). Though your case will be different as the tire sizes are different from mine since the 3rd gen has smaller wheels.

Reactions: stephan_ody

·
Registered
111 Posts
Continental DWS06 are my tire of choice.
They dominated 9+ inches of snow without so much as a low traction warning.
And they do great in both rain and dry conditions too. Very little road noise and pretty long lasting

I have them on my Volt, the Van and a set on the way for 350Z

·
Registered
Honda Odyssey EX-L 2022
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your messages and input. I had another issue on a tire so had to swap all 4 at the dealership.
After research, it was not the cheapest but not the worst $850 (with tax) for 4 including alignment.

For anybody seeing this post fact:
  • OEM Bridgestone Turango 235/60R18 EL440 lasted 22k miles - not a great tire according to Tire Rack
  • Recommendations from people on this thread (thanks again!):
    • Michelin Defender T+H 235/60R18
    • Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus
    • Continental DWS06 (great snow traction)
    • Also mentioned elsewhere on this forum: Michelin CrossClimate2
Personal Memo: buy tires in advance on sales around the time you think you'll need them.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
250 Posts
Thank you all for your messages and input. I had another issue on a tire so had to swap all 4 at the dealership.
After research, it was not the cheapest but not the worst $850 (with tax) for 4 including alignment.

For anybody seeing this post fact:
  • OEM Bridgestone Turango 235/60R18 EL440 lasted 22k miles - not a great tire according to Tire Rack
  • Recommendations from people on this thread (thanks again!):
    • Michelin Defender T+H 235/60R18
    • Continental Control Contact Tour A/S Plus
    • Continental DWS06 (great snow traction)
    • Also mentioned elsewhere on this forum: Michelin CrossClimate2
Personal Memo: buy tires in advance on sales around the time you think you'll need them.

Thanks again everyone!
My dad had the CC's put on his Honda Crosstour. Ehhhh, I would not want them for the minivan. Also, another decent tire is the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring or the General Altimax RT43.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The OEM tires on my 19 were gone at 23k miles about 7 months ago. I went for Firestone Destination LE3, got them on sale for $715 out the door. Overall quite happy with them so far, but a lot of that could just be the change from 4/32 OEM tires to new tires with full tread.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess I'm an outlier with 44k on the original Bridgestones. I'll probably be ok for the rest of the summer, but will be replacing once the rain gets gets going. I was considering the Michelin CrossClimate2 tire, but read that they have a negative impact on gas mileage. The other option is the Michelin Defender T+H from Costco.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
@andreyco
I have the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires, and no noticed an improvement or or loss in gas mileage, roughly 9000 miles on them. However they do not wear for a long period of time, propably the agressive thread design, but so far tire wear is equal on all 4 tires. They definately handle better on everything compared to the OEM's.

Reactions: John U

·
Registered
2019 Odyssey EX
100 Posts
The other option is the Michelin Defender T+H from Costco.
I've seen some threads about low tread life from Michelin Defender T+H tires on heavier vehicles like minivans.

Another Michelin option is the Defender LTX M/S but some people complain it is more truck like (stiff).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 or Continental CrossContact LX25, which are the two top rated CUV/SUV all season touring tires on TR (the Michelin CrossClimate being the third).

I am currently running the LX25s myself (235/60R18) and they have been fantastic in every way. Grippy, predictable, quiet, smooth, and better fuel economy than the stock EL440s. They are supposed to be great in the winter as well, although I switch to X-Ice once the white stuff starts to fly. I got the XL versions as we are doing a long road trip this summer while towing a trailer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m really surprised at the low mileage on the OEM tires. 2020 Elite, went to 47k and if not for a loooonnnnggg road trip would have squeezed a little more.
Replaced beforehand with Michelin cross climate2 at Costco $915 all in. Few thousand miles now and very happy. Mileage unchanged at 28+ when nice to it at 65-70mph.
Wondering why so many people get only 25k out of a set of tires….

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put on the Continental CrossContact LX25 on my '18 Elite and I have been pleased with them. They do ride good and the wet traction has been good. The only odd thing is that there is more road noise for the first few miles and then it goes away. This happens more if the vehicle has been sitting for several days or a week.

·
Registered
2021 Odyssey EX
25 Posts
I got rid of the OE Bridgestone tires with only 3k on my 2021 EX. Replaced them with Pirelli Scorpion Verde 2’s and I really like them. Very quiet, ride nice, handle adverse weather very well. I also put Pirelli Scorpion Verde 3’s on my wife’s 2022 CR-V. Love those tires. Got them at Sam’s Club when they were on sale.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts