Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the Odyssey antenna shaft can be unscrewed and replaced with the S2000 mast without replacing the base?? If not, any tips on similarly styled aftermarket ones? Haven't had a chance to swing by the dealer and check it out. Did a search and it looks as if this was discussed before but has since expired.
Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, the stock antenna has flats on its base and can be unscrewed with a 8 mm (I think) open end wrench.

The threads on the S2000 antenna are not long enough and require a coupling nut to join about 20 mm of additional thread to them. See Chuck's pics.

For a quick and dirty antenna replacement try Radio Shack universal replacement no. 12-2268 at $6.99 -- comes with adapter threads that are a perfect match. Blue Locktite the adapter on the antenna and screw it on. No fuss.

Also check out Radio Shack 12-1331 at $8.99, and my personal favorite, the "Rubber Ducky" 12-1327 at $9.99 (get rid of the ball mount base). This should bracket your budget.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone investigated putting in a power antenna? I don't know if there is room in the fender panel for the motor assembly but it would sure make life easier. Oh, and I think it would also look pretty cool!

------------------
Patiently Awaiting My '02 EP EXL-NAV
"Live your own life, for you will surely die your own death"

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alternative to the S2000 antenna that is preferred by most Odyclub members, you might want to look at the Sound FX Antenna Mast by Rally, item #19630, available at Pep Boys for $13.99. It is amplified, black, 17 inches in length and about a foot if retracted, and very easy to install (less than 5 minutes). It comes with an adapter that fits the Ody. The screw is the same length as the stock antenna mast.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. Plenty to work with. Another possible option I haven't seen mentioned is the Honda Insight antenna. It's interchangable with the S2000 and would require the same mods. It may be 'just right'. I'll check out pep-boys and radio shack first, though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
How do you get electrical power to an amplified antenna?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malakilaki:
Alternative to the S2000 antenna that is preferred by most Odyclub members, you might want to look at the Sound FX Antenna Mast by Rally, item #19630, available at Pep Boys for $13.99. It is amplified, black, 17 inches in length and about a foot if retracted, and very easy to install (less than 5 minutes). It comes with an adapter that fits the Ody. The screw is the same length as the stock antenna mast.</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

·
Registered
138 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rondtroy:
How do you get electrical power to an amplified antenna?

</font>
I dunno? The antenna mast didn't have instructions for an electrical connection.

Maybe it's solar powered.
That would be cool, huh?

Perhaps someone would post the answer before the store return date expires.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Try wiring into the ignition on switch that goes to the head unit. I think it is a red wire, in connector position two (2). This is the wire that turn the head unit on when you turn on the ignition.

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malakilaki:
Alternative to the S2000 antenna that is preferred by most Odyclub members, you might want to look at the Sound FX Antenna Mast by Rally, item #19630, available at Pep Boys for $13.99.............</font>
Mahalo Malakilaki! The tip on the antenna by Rally was great. A VERY easy mod. I had hesitated with the one thing that I wanted to do first. Not all of us are as gifted (or posses the machine shop) to be as bold as some members, yet we do benefit greatly from their knowledge (and I urge them on!). This antenna swaps right on with it's own provided screw. SWEET

Thank you again!

------------------
'01 SS EX: Too much stuff
Sound FX Antenna Mast, which was to be the last, until I saw the carpeted rear cargo shelf mod!

[This message has been edited by homeric (edited 11-05-2001).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was in the midst of doing the S2000 antenna swap and started the van without any antenna attached (the stereo had previously been on FM, set to the local NPR station) and, low and behold, I was able to receive it. Did I need an antenna at all, or was the length of wire going from the radio to the antenna screw down good enough? Driving around a bit caused it to fade in and out a lot, and when I pressed the scan button the radio did not lock onto a single station, so this was obviously not going to work, but it gave me an idea.

Back home sitting in my driveway I reinstalled the Odyssey’s original buggy whip antenna, started at the bottom of the FM dial, pressed scan (got to tap it quickly to get those stations right next to each other), and counted how many stations the radio was able to lock onto: 28 on average. Remove the antenna completely: 0 stations locked. When I installed the S2000 antenna and preformed the same test, it was consistently only able to find and lock 13 stations. Bummer, I think.

My understanding of the scan on most radios is that the signal strength must be above a certain threshold for the radio to find and lock onto a station. I could tune in the NPR station, for example, and even get a stereo signal, but the radio skipped it when scanning with the S2000 antenna installed while it found it with the buggy whip attached. Does anyone know if, once a station is strong enough to reach you in stereo, boosting its signal will achieve better clarity, or will a given antenna setup with signal amplifier simply be able to find, lock, and produce more stereo stations?

I’d like to use the S2000 antenna, but short of adding an inline signal booster, I can’t see giving up half the stations where I live.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’90 4Runner – lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I read somewhere that optimum antenna length is 31 and 1/2 inches, which is the length of the stock antenna.

Did you try any AM stations? I bet no AM without an antenna.

The radio shack "rubber ducky" antenna has a coil in the base to make up for its short length, but I have not tested it.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think that this coil at the base is also the "amplified" part of the Rally mast (isn't passive amplification some sort of oxymoron?) as there are no other connections provided. The vehicle's metal messes with the signal if the antenna is too short or not boosted somehow (there is obviously less metal on a S2000, and the mast is away from the roof line). My radio worked the same driving to work today with the new mast as it did yesterday with the OEM antenna locking during scanning on all of the same stations as before(both AM and FM frequencies).

------------------
Sound FX Antenna Mast, which was to be the last until I saw the carpeted rear cargo shelf mod!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can someone post a picture of their Odyssey w/ the Rally Sound FX antenna?

Thanks!

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
141 Posts
Went to Pep Boys looking for this Sound FX antenna and could not find it.

Where is the item # that you gave printed? None of the Rally Sound FX antennas had #'s anything like the number you gave.

Is it available online anywhere?

------------------

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pummal:
Went to Pep Boys looking for this Sound FX antenna and could not find it.

Where is the item # that you gave printed? None of the Rally Sound FX antennas had #'s anything like the number you gave........
</font>
The part number 16930 is on the upper left side of the packaging. Don't look for a "fat" style mast like the S2000, this one is a thinner rigid black plastic (though somewhat flexible). They may very well have sold out as this is a universally adaptable mast. I had to nose around all of their antennas until I found the ONE that they had in stock.

------------------
Sound FX Antenna Mast, which was to be the last until I saw the carpeted rear cargo shelf mod!

[This message has been edited by homeric (edited 11-07-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just returned my S2000 antenna after I tested it against the stock antenna as tnuckels did. The S2000 antenna could not pick up about 30 percent of the stations on the AM and FM dial that the stock Ody antenna could. I decided that superior signal was more important than looks so I'm sticking with the stock antenna. Also, Trever of Handa-accessories tells me that the S2000 install uses a signal booster between the radio and antenna which would explain the poor results when used on the Ody which does not use an antenna booster.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Homeric - You're welcome. Perhaps you could post a pic of it mounted on your ody for others to see.

[This message has been edited by malakilaki (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I haven't been able to find this "Sound FX" antenna at any of our three PepBoys here in Austin.

I'd like to pursue it further, but it would be very helpful to see a picture of it on an Ody so that I know I'm looking for something I am going to buy.

Perhaps if I like the way it looks, someone here could buy me one and ship it to me? I could pay via paypal or something.

... hating our stock antenna..

------------------

·
Registered
72 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pummal:
I haven't been able to find this "Sound FX" antenna at any of our three PepBoys here in Austin.

I'd like to pursue it further, but it would be very helpful to see a picture of it on an Ody ..............

</font>
I will attempt to get some photos up this week or next. I do not have a digi camera. This mast seems to get better reception than the S2000 version, if my reading of this and other threads about the antennas is correct.
Mark

1 - 20 of 28 Posts