Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe whatever the sensor that is used to "check" the alternator is bad and throwing the light? If you have code reader maybe you can dynamically read what voltage the sensor is sending to see whether the sensor is bad which may cause the light to turn on? for what it is worth, when my alternator was dying, the "battery" light never came on.
Which is the Sensor are you referring to? Where is that located?
What does your battery measure under load? What is the voltage drop when you are cranking the starter?
it reads between 12.2v and 12.6v when the engine is not running.
When the engine is running, I was able to see the it reads between 13.6 and 14.0v all the time ( 13.6v with all the power drains like heaters, fan, viper etc).

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Prav, do a google search on checking the diode pack. I would measure AC voltage at the battery, with engine running at say 1500 rpm, and do the same on another vehicle. Remember, the AC volts will probably be in the millivolts, but start with volts and work down.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Which is the Sensor are you referring to? Where is that located?
Here is service manual on checking the "battery check" light itself. I would not do steps 8-14 as I don't have HDS and unable to jump SCS line with HDS. (I don't know what that means, but seem like step 12-13 requires this to be done to protect PCM)

Here is GAUGE indicator diagnosis:

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,408 Posts
The sensor that turns on the battery light is located in the alternator itself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Many thanks. I'll try to follow the steps that needs no HDS
Update- I followed the service manual instructions and as per that, when I disconnect the alternator 4P connector, the battery light goes off. Their remedy is to replace the alternator. This is inline with WiiMaster and several others in this thread suggested. So I think finally I'm zeroing it out as the alternator is the culprit.
I'll post the updates once I replace it.

Meanwhile, if there is any detailed thread on replacing the alternator, kindly point me there.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,408 Posts
Update- I followed the service manual instructions and as per that, when I disconnect the alternator 4P connector, the battery light goes off. Their remedy is to replace the alternator. This is inline with WiiMaster and several others in this thread suggested. So I think finally I'm zeroing it out as the alternator is the culprit.
I'll post the updates once I replace it.

Meanwhile, if there is any detailed thread on replacing the alternator, kindly point me there.
Just remember to get a Denso alternator either brand new or remanufactured by Denso.

MrRanger has a good video on alternator replacement.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I thought you had already ordered a Denso alternator? That clearly was/is the solution to your problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I thought you had already ordered a Denso alternator? That clearly was/is the solution to your problem.
I had ordered only the VCM muzzler and was about to place order for the alternator. But wanted confirm if alternator is indeed the problem before I do.
Thank you very much for your inputs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just to update you all on how it ended. I ordered the Denso reman from rockauto, replaced it and the problem is gone. It took me about approx 4 hours as I really struggled taking it out. My sincere thanks to all your inputs and suggestions. This forum is awesome.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts