Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple months back I had a bad alternator. I replaced it. The other day, my wife was driving home in the rain and the car started doing all kinds of crazy things. At first, I thought it might just be a bad alternator. I’m getting all kinds of dashboard lights, indicators that the doors are open, brake lights, then the radio will turn itself completely off, none of the windows will work, nor any of the electronics. Battery tested bad so I replaced it with a new battery, it let me get about 15 minutes down the road on the way home, and then it started doing it all again. The only difference is now it’s also trying to rev itself up in park or drive without anyone hitting the gas. I don’t know where to begin. Anyone have knowledge of something similar?

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
Check for water intrusion. Without the key info/context that you didn't provide that's all I can really say

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
couple months back I had a bad alternator. I replaced it. The other day, my wife was driving home in the rain and the car started doing all kinds of crazy things. At first, I thought it might just be a bad alternator. I’m getting all kinds of dashboard lights, indicators that the doors are open, brake lights, then the radio will turn itself completely off, none of the windows will work, nor any of the electronics. Battery tested bad so I replaced it with a new battery, it let me get about 15 minutes down the road on the way home, and then it started doing it all again. The only difference is now it’s also trying to rev itself up in park or drive without anyone hitting the gas. I don’t know where to begin. Anyone have knowledge of something similar?
Check for water intrusion. Without the key info/context that you didn't provide that's all I can really say
I would be happy to provide more info and context

· Registered
7,263 Posts
Need to know more about the actual vehicle.

· Registered
7,263 Posts
Rain + weird electrical issues is why I suggested water intrusion. Can be somewhat common.

But yes, alternator also matters here. If it wasn't a Denso alternator, there's an issue. If your spool valve above the alternator is leaking, that's also an issue.

· Registered
7,263 Posts
Duralast alternator. There's your problem. I have yet to see anyone get a parts store alternator to work and last in an Odyssey. Put the proper alternator in.

· Registered
717 Posts
Duralast alternator. There's your problem. I have yet to see anyone get a parts store alternator to work and last in an Odyssey. Put the proper alternator in.
Second that though you may still have a water issue.
Duralast alternator. Rebuilt in mexico by lowest bidder using chinese parts from lowest bidder. Then sold by retailer with zero concern that its a several hour R and R, with their only remedy for horrible quality being the generosity of offering a lifetime warranty.

IIRC autozone was getting about $180 for their rebuilts when I last checked. Dont know what they pay their rebuilder but I think theres about $2.75 in parts replaced minimum. If the bearings or rectifier diodes were bad they could go $20.

Nice margin.

I paid rockauto $130 shipped for densos rebuilt had it 30 hrs after order.

Denso rebuilds alternators they built in the first place, with their own parts from Japan, at a US facility. Or so I am told. They may eventually move to mexico, expect still japan parts. Why wouldnt they, everyone here expects a living wage to perform a monkeys task, with health care, a months paid vacation, 4 months maternity leave, soon the father gets that too, surprise he is really the mother's partners trans bio theyll invent a label by then. (LGBTTQQIAAP, sexuality now apparantly expressed as a keyboard faceplant or your cat walking across your desk)
But when he she it breaks their alternator they want it for $79 lifetime warranty.

Local rebuilder using quality parts may be the most reliable, as unlike autozone or rockauto or even denso, if it fails that guy has to look you in the eye across the counter and explain why his work left you stuck in the dark somewhere. If hes been in business a few decades I think that would get old fast, he corrects the problem in his business model and spends a few cents more on better brushes, etc, its worth it to save the grief of pissed off clients which can really ruin your work day.

The kid at autozone just says bring it in we will give you another. No problem right? Cant get mad at him, he only works there. He cant call corporate and say hey we got a pissed customer, why are we doing that to save 3 cents a unit? Corporate pig never has to face customer, nor does the bean counter, can lose a few they replace with advertising, and lifetime warranties placate the concerns of most ignorant consumers.

Autozones are everywhere and will always have your rebuilt available in stock or in a few hours, so they will always have customers no matter how lousy the products are.

Local rebuilder guy knows he cant compete with that, and has to have some value to offer to pull away people from autozone, and he only has a reputation to lose once.

Most of us know all this just ranting to remind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts