Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm 6'1", so that may have a bearing on my sight line, but my shift lever doesn't block anything that I've ever noticed. In fact, for as weird as I thought the lever was when I first drove an Ody, now I wouldn't change it for anything. I really like it now that I'm used to it.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by travis:

The thing that has been a little bit of annoyance to me is the fact that the gear lever does not seem to catch in D4 very well. I have slid past D4 to D3 more than once. I am getting more used to it and do it less than when I first got the ody, but I wish it did catch a little better. Does anybody else experience that?

Travis

</font>
It took me about a month to figure this out: The shift lever detents are different on the Ody than on other any other automatic I've ever driven. When shifting to D4, pull the lever all the way toward you and hold it out (towards the steering wheel) as you pull it down. It WILL stop at D4. You CAN'T move it down to D3 until you release it toward the front of the van. But once you're in D4, all it takes is a downward slap of the shift lever to downshift out of overdrive into D3.

I'm not sure why Honda designed it the way they did, but when you get used to the differences built into it, it works very well. Play with it a bit and you'll see what I mean.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
I've never noticed the gear shift blocking anything on my van. Then the thought occurred to me - I've got the navigation system in mine. Went to Chuck's pictures and looked; sure 'nuff, he's got the NAVI version also! Since the radio on the EX-NAVI is mounted underneath the navigation screen (and hence much lower than the radio on the non-NAVI version), the gear shift doesn't block any of the radio buttons or controls. (Hmmmm...is this how I justify the extra $2K?? My radio controls aren't blocked? Yeah, that's the ticket...
)

</font>
Good Thinkin'! I NEVER would have figured THAT out!

------------------
Chuck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts