Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone noticed that Honda changed the sound of their horn in the 2018?

Mine sounds more like the horns that cars had in the 80s vs what cars have today and what they had in the previous model odyssey.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Seriously? Did Honda put a single horn in the new odyssey like they've been doing on all the american models lately....the Canadian all have the double horns and I'm surprised in the number of threads rampant on all honda model forums about "upgrading" the horns. What are they thinking south of the border? Usually this is a Civic or Fit (ie small car) implementation and the bigger cars get the double horns....this is just silly!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just wondering if anyone noticed that Honda changed the sound of their horn in the 2018?

Mine sounds more like the horns that cars had in the 80s vs what cars have today and what they had in the previous model odyssey.
Yup, it seems so. It sounds like a weak clown car horn!! :frown:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm wondering it it is possible to instal a horn from the 2017 model and if that would cause potential warranty issues.
You can probably install any horn your heart desired. There might be different connectors, but all it requires is a 12 volt power source and a ground. Any shop should be able to do it.

As for the warranty, there are laws in place to protect things like that. If you replace the horn and the horn breaks, no it will not be covered under warranty, but that won't "void" any other parts of that warranty unless it can be proven that the horn caused that failure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Horn tone

The horn on our new 2018 Elite has only one tone vs the two tone horns on our previous odysseys. Does the 2018 Elite only have a single tone horn ir is ours not working properly. Right now it sounds like a low end Civic!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The horn on our new 2018 Elite has only one tone vs the two tone horns on our previous odysseys. Does the 2018 Elite only have a single tone horn ir is ours not working properly. Right now it sounds like a low end Civic!!
Unfortunately, yes. It does sound whimpy. No idea why Honda did this. It's competitors didn't.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have an 18 Elite and yes I have the clown horn as well.

I love Odyclub.com but I hate Odyclub.com bc the more I read about the 18 the more depressed I get about the cheap cost-cutting measures Honda has taken with the 5th gen. Just found out today they don't put owner's manuals anymore in the 18s. All they give you is an owner's guide... you have to order the manual directly from Honda (it's free for the first six months).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I HATE IT!!! I'll try to find where it is under the hood tomorrow. I'm hoping it's a plug and play (same connector) with 2017- Odyssey or an aftermarket like HELLA.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Zoink - great! Let us know...I'd replace it in a minute with a reasonably-priced alternative. Might as well have one of those bulb-type horns on a kiddy bicycle handlebar.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's a link to the 2017 Ody "high" sound horn priced at $15 retail...and a schematic of where it is located under the hood. The 2018 is probably different at least to location.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~horn~assy~high~38150-stx-h02.html?Make=Honda&Model=Odyssey&Year=2017&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=3,1601;et=2,9)

Apparently there are two (2) parts to the horn - a "high" section (#5 in the schematic) and a "low" section (#4) that butt together. So $30 or so for both.

Might be easier to just find the 12v connection wire and fashion a ground wire and attach a 3rd-party horn as previously mentioned.

Then of course the back hatch will probably open when you use the horn and the intermittent wipers will come on...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zoink - great! Let us know...I'd replace it in a minute with a reasonably-priced alternative. Might as well have one of those bulb-type horns on a kiddy bicycle handlebar.
I can only visually guess it. If my guess is correct, it is buried between the lower part of the engine and the radiator. I can't see any easy access without taking off the bumper to say the least :dammit:

Not sure it's worth the effort. If Honda's intention is to discourage us to use the horn, it works. LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like the horn. My most frequent use is to wake up the drivers who apparently doze off when stopped at red lights. Today I was the 2nd car in the center lane of 3 lanes at a red light and when the light turned green, all three cars at the line just sat there. A quick beep on the new Ody horn woke all three of them simultaneously. That's loud enough for me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I like the horn. My most frequent use is to wake up the drivers who apparently doze off when stopped at red lights. Today I was the 2nd car in the center lane of 3 lanes at a red light and when the light turned green, all three cars at the line just sat there. A quick beep on the new Ody horn woke all three of them simultaneously. That's loud enough for me.
You see the goodness in everything. Great job. :D.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts