Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey I think I found it! If you face the front bumper on the lower right next to the lowest clear lens (fog lights),look in the black waffled area. Just to the left of the light lens in the black pattern is a hole. The horn sound comes from this hole. The horn is just on the other side of this hole. When it is beeped you can feel the vibration directly behind.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the older generation odyssey has two horns and it locates at the passenger side front bumper, next to the windshield washer tank.

Honda is so stupid to cut down cost in horns,propably save honda $5? owner gonna tell sooner or later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the older generation odyssey has two horns and it locates at the passenger side front bumper, next to the windshield washer tank.

Honda is so stupid to cut down cost in horns,propably save honda $5? owner gonna tell sooner or later.
The diagram that Jeff999 cited in post 16 shows two horns, one on either side of the bumper (passenger and driver). Looks like there are two wiring harnesses and two sets of mounting brackets and housings also. Little more than $5, but the point is well taken. New horn is wimpy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That diagram is a 2017 not 2018 and it looks like they cut down from 2 horns to 1 in 2018. Usually the 2 consists of one high and one low frequency horn working together to make a reasonable sound. It appears they ditched the low and kept the high by itself. Sounds like a motorscooter or 72 Vega or something. Hate it. I'm going to look into that extremely loud horn posted above - thanks Stan-qaz!

·
Registered
458 Posts
ah, I misunderstood and thought the request was for a 2-toned horn (aghh!) rather than more umph.
The horn I linked to above is both loud 151 db, and two tone so it answers both sides of the question. There are cheaper horns available, many knockoffs from China or wherever but for the effort of mounting one I'd want the original.

·
Registered
19 Posts
JUst an update: all I can say is WOW! I don't know how this horn can be changed easily. I peeled back the drivers side front fender liner and found that the horn sound is funneled down to the opening next to the drivers side fog light as mentioned above, but it's sort of a long curved 'trumpet' of a tube that ends up going into the plastic block that seems to be supporting the car battery. It's kind of a blocky piece of plastic and they must have mounted the horn in it then the battery goes on top. You can see the sound tube that leads to it by looking from the top down directly behind the drivers side headlight. As it stands I'm not taking anything else off to get to it-I'll just live with the Mickey Mouse horn! I may not have the correct location but it looks right to me. Anyway just wanted to let you all know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Any update from a DIY on connecting a decent sounding horn?

I honked at a parking lot idiot the other day and from his Twilight Zone reaction I doubt he even heard the OCH ("Ody Clown Horn").

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wondering if anyone noticed that Honda changed the sound of their horn in the 2018?

Mine sounds more like the horns that cars had in the 80s vs what cars have today and what they had in the previous model odyssey.

Boy, did I?? I just bought a 2018 Elite and never sounded the horn until a few days later. I was blown away when i beeped the horn. I thought of a cow in pain, an early '80's Hyundai or maybe a Yugo (I bet a lot of Ody Club members have never heard of one of those fiascos). I could not believe that an almost $50,000 car had a $9.95 horn, and I might be a little generous there. I took it back to the dealer and the salesman was somewhat astonished at the sound. We even went out on the lot and sounded the horn on an '18 Touring. Same darn cow mooing plaintively. I told him if I had heard the horn before I bought it, they would have had to correct the problem before I would accept the car. Let me tell you a true story and I told it to the salesman, American Honda AND the NHTSA. I was traveling down a country road near my home and came upon a group of about 10 buzzards feasting on some roadkill in the middle of the road. I started beeping the horn about 1/8th mile away from them. They appeared to take no notice of the sound. The closer I got, I sounded the horn continuously. I had to come to an almost complete stop before they moved and it wasn't due to the sound of the horn; it was the physical presence of the vehicle itself looming over them from about 40 to 50 feet away. Sounds pretty lame, but it happened and very succinctly illustrates the problem; the horn does not command attention and is pretty much beneath even a buzzard's notice, or anyone else's for that matter Now I am stuck, but I wasn't going to be embarrassed for long. I hit up the old PC and in a matter of minutes, I had a new set of Hella Supertone horns on the way. Since I could not even find the doggone "cow" under the hood, I paid to have them professionally installed. They are louder but not what I was expecting. I was somewhat disappointed in my investment in improving my vehicles "presence". I would recommend a set of dual American car horns from maybe a Chevy, Ford or a set like my 2013 Touring Elite had. I should have taken them with me when I traded it in on the 2018. The bottom line is, I can't believe American Honda would try to pass of to the buying public such a miserable excuse for a horn on a $49K+ vehicle. It's not right, it's embarrassing and a real design and functional faux pas. WAKE UP, American Honda! Stop cheapening out, bring all your 2018's back in and install a decent horn in "America's Best Minivan", except for the horn, of course!! OK, I'm off my soapbox now and retreating back into anonymity.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just typical Honda cost cutting.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts