Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a 1998 Honda Odyseey with 252K Runs like an dream. Just did a brake job and am holding my breath that they bled the lines and I am not losing brake fluid. Day 2 is fine.

As a back up I was looking at an 1991 accord wagon with 150K which I could pick up for around $1500. I know this is an Odyssey forum but needed some opinions if once you van you will never go back.

My last 1998 accord made it to 200K before I gave it up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So why do you need a back-up if it "runs like a dream"? For your consideration: there are people here like HostileJava and yakuza that own multiple Gen 1's.

My '98 has less than 150k and it also runs like a dream. If you're worried that something major might happen to your van, you could start saving a couple hundred dollars every month and buy another '98. There was one in my area, with low miles (80k) for $4k, something like that should last another 10 years with good maintenance. My two cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I guess I am a little skidish about the brake job and it losing fluid, but i thought the wagon might be a change of pace. Was in an accord today and it felt tight.

Thanks you probably saved me some bucks...

Thought the wagon might be a nice addition to my Honda histyory of ownership....accord, element, though the Odyssey rocks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just curious...do you feel like the wagon is tight after driving the Ody?

Now my choices are the 1991 wagon with 150k or an 1998 Ody with 158K. $1500 vs $3400?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd offer less than $1500, but yes a very good backup vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After checking with Craigslist every night, my wishes were met. At 7:00 pm I found a 1997 wagon ex with 96K. By 11:30 next morning the deal was done and I am loving the new wagon.

The old timer actually worked for 20 years at the Honda plant in Ohio. Spoke well of the company and said he had great luck with car, not the original owner.

I am usually a bargain hunter and normally would have negotiated, but I willingly paid dealer price from a private party just to have the right car.

I know this is an Ody club forum but between the 1998 Odyssey and this 1997 wagon I feel like I am driving the best machines made.

Took the wagon for a fast trip to Chicago and it drove like it floated on air.

I think the Honda philosophy in those days was to give the consumer more than they asked for on their purchase.

I think they intentionally offered more to strategically develop brand loyalty, which in my case this is our 6th Honda purchase.

I went for the wagon to size down a little on the ride and alternate my 252K Ody to give it a day off here and there.

Motto of the story is wait it out until you find the one you are looking for. I hope the car purchase turns out to be a good one. Pics to follow.

How does Motor Vehicle know what you pay from a private party? I always try to play it straight so I don't have to worry about what if.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Awesome. Glad you found what you were looking for. Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity! Motor vehicle services can only rely on what you put on the title transfer. Most states should have an exemption for taxes on vehicles 2-2500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts