Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be picky here; but every time I open the trunk or the drive door, I get bothered by the metal welded parts. For me, this shows the workers did not bother to sand it down and decided just covered it with the paint.

My MDX was at least covered with a liner and seals.

I am wondering if this is typical for Honda or it's just my car?

I'll forward some photos later.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did notice this on my 2010 honda fit on the driver doors around the window frame... very sloppy finishing on the welds. Haven't bought my new Oddity yet though so no opinion on that :p

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ya i mean a weld is a weld, and the more 'chunky' it is the more sold the weld is... with that said, I wish they had covered it with some plastic.

If I bought a Ferarri F430 Scuderia, sure I'll stare at the welds all day, but not in a van.

·
Banned
728 Posts
You'd think the robot welds them all the same. I can't say that I noticed anything in our van, but I didn't really look for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get over it, I still do not understand why there's a need for some many welds on the door frame?; at least my wife has not noticed yet. She's still amazed by how Nav system was able to find Baskin Robin thru voice command. The expression on her face was priceless and "almost" enough to justify the 40K mini van.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ya i mean a weld is a weld, and the more 'chunky' it is the more sold the weld is... with that said, I wish they had covered it with some plastic.

If I bought a Ferarri F430 Scuderia, sure I'll stare at the welds all day, but not in a van.
depending on the material (in this case steel), a 'chunky' weld is not necessarily more 'solid'. in reality due to the phase changes that occur the heat and cool cycle of a weld in steel, excess welding can make it brittle and more prone to cracking. As such, a 'chunky' weld is not always a good thing.

You'd think the robot welds them all the same. I can't say that I noticed anything in our van, but I didn't really look for it.
just like all things automated, they're designed to work within a set tolerance, as such, they are not always exactly the same. However, two welds by the same robot will be significantly more alike than two welds by even a very well trained and practiced human.

I'll get over it, I still do not understand why there's a need for some many welds on the door frame?; at least my wife has not noticed yet. She's still amazed by how Nav system was able to find Baskin Robin thru voice command. The expression on her face was priceless and "almost" enough to justify the 40K mini van.
It's part of Honda's ACE system. All of those welds provide the strength that helps the Odyssey achieve it's 5 star crash safety rating.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
She's still amazed by how Nav system was able to find Baskin Robin thru voice command. The expression on her face was priceless and "almost" enough to justify the 40K mini van.
Wait until you see the price for the Acura/Honda Navigation DVD update ;)

It's part of Honda's ACE system. All of those welds provide the strength that helps the Odyssey achieve it's 5 star crash safety rating.
If that is the case, I don't care how many and how visible they are :D. Here is a good summary BTW:

Honda Safety - Collision Compatibility

·
Registered
144 Posts
title led me to believe the actual welds were poorly done.

the visibility of them doesn't bother me in the least. i don't even notice them, but then they're covered in black paint...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
title led me to believe the actual welds were poorly done.

the visibility of them doesn't bother me in the least. i don't even notice them, but then they're covered in black paint...
Ya that's true, on our white Odyssey they stand out big time, but on the silver one we test drove I didn't notice them at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts