Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Odyssey price run-up vs. PT Cruiser price run-dwn

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  redly1 
#1 ·
Do you think there is any chance that the price gouging going on now (MSRP+) will collapse like it did on the PT Cruisers? Folks were paying premiums like we are now and then a short time later the dealers were overloaded with them and cutting great deals. This had to kill trade-in and resale values... I would sure hate to pay a premium for the Ody now and a year or two later see them going for a lot less. Any thoughts...

#2 ·
This is the first year that Odys have been available for MSRP, at least in my area. Before the 2002 model, most dealers were getting over MSRP.

No, this isn't another PT Cruiser (or VW Bug). Those two did well in their first several months of availability then the price collapsed. The difference is that, unlike the Ody, they did not have a 6 year track record of prices at or over MSRP.

Regards,

Maugham

#4 ·
I think you will start seeing some dealers wheeling and dealing on the Odyssey's. Based on some of the messages I'm seeing on the forum, its already started a little. I'm not sure how Honda determines who gets what though. If dealers are still being allocated a specific amount of vans, I'm not sure why they'd bargain unless they didn't think they could sell them. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ODY_DataSeek:
Do you think there is any chance that the price gouging going on now (MSRP+) will collapse like it did on the PT Cruisers? Folks were paying premiums like we are now and then a short time later the dealers were overloaded with them and cutting great deals. This had to kill trade-in and resale values... I would sure hate to pay a premium for the Ody now and a year or two later see them going for a lot less. Any thoughts...</font>

#5 ·
You've got to remember, the PT cruiser is an underpowered Chrysler...I mean, damn, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did (high prices)

Then you've got the Odyssey, like a powerful, reliable, safe, attractive van is just going to plummet in resale because 30000 more a year are being made. Sure, the market probably wont be as hot as it is now (assuming future customers wont have to wait >1 month like they do now), but it's still a honda.

Have you ever seen how fast a used Accord sells (private or dealer) and they sell 200K+ new of those a year. Supply and demand, and until a better minivan comes out, we have little to worry about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.