Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Honda Odyssey EXL 117k
I noticed I had a slight weep from power steering pump when changing my timing belt like 4k miles ago.

(reman)pump was like $270... new honda pump-$400 !

I bought an o ring kit from eBay kotek brand for $20 (guy actually gave it to me for free because it didn't contain the high pressure hose oring which he then sent for free)
And an OEM Honda/NTN bearing made in canada for $15

Loosened serpentine belt with harbor freight serpentine tool, love it. Only routed it off ps pump, used a bungee cord to hold tension up to the hood latch
High pressure hose same bungee up to hood latch

I notice the pump has a little play... Mounting bolts were like FINGER TIGHT ?‍♂?‍♂ ... 4k miles ago I changed the timing belt and we had since driven to Florida and back... I can't imagine I actually forgot to torque them but... Wow, I'm lucky.

cleaned it up a bit with degreaser and toothbrush prior to opening up the pump

I used an impact wrench to quickly remove the pulley nut, hex cap and the 19mm cap at the top of pump

Upon removing the 10mm bolts that hold the pump housing most were tight but one was literally finger tight. It also had oil on the threads. I believe this is where my leak was coming from.

I followed the YouTube video on the 2001 Odyssey ps pump rebuild in general. LINK HERE His advice on making sure the pump vanes (little metal rectangles) were in correctly was very helpful.

Replacing the orings was very straight forward simply matched up old to new.
The large one that sits in the bottom of the pump closest to the bearing and pulley was slightly smaller than the old oring( it was a little bit of a tight fit but other than that the knockoffs worked well.

Using a vice I hammered out the shaft/bearing using a plastic hammer.

Removing/reinstalling the seal was probably the most difficult part. Removed with a big screwdriver and reinstalled with a large 15/16 socket

Bearing was removed using the vice almost tight to the shaft and hammering.
Replaced to shaft using a 15mm deep socket
Replaced to housing using a 30mm socket

Pump parts only can go together one way with the 2 small metal pins to align everything.

pulley reinstalled and torqued using vice and breaker bar through one of the pulley holes touching on workbench to limit movement

If I were to do it again I think I would have spent $50 vs $30 and bought OEM parts/orings

Attachments

·
Registered
Odyssey 2011 LX
140 Posts
Is your model one of the affected TSB with an harmonic sound inside the cabin. If that’s the case then better change the unit with the TSB new model repair cost $500 by Honda. I’m planning to do mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one?
"TSB 13-016 - Power Steering Noise With the A/C Compressor On"

I believe yes I fall under that umbrella but I didn't notice a humming or groaning in the cabin

I'm curious if the PS pump is actually different or does the pump in the TSB simply add the extra bolt hole for bracket/stability?

$500 is the cost of the pump for you or that's what the dealer will charge you?

·
Registered
Odyssey 2011 LX
140 Posts
Sorry I mentioned Repair Cost I went too quick on my wordings $500 is just the pump alone as I will do the change, I do have that humming sound going around my cabin. That extra hole that you mentioned was for the power steering pump cause by the vibration to lessen cause of that 2 point vs 3 point TSB. Your lucky cause you didn't have that humming sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts