Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a problem with my 1998 Honda Odyssey. After driving for a while, it does not like to reverse very well. It shifts into reverse OK, and will begin moving, but then gets "stuck" -- revving the engine more produces very little motion. Putting the transmission briefly in Drive and then back to Reverse produces another little spurt of reverse motion before it quits again.

Reversing works fine when the vehicle is first started. The problem seems to come up once the engine/transmission have warmed up.

It has been behaving like this for quite some time (probably 2 years or so).

Any idea what might be the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Bert Menkveld
Ontario, Canada
[email protected]

·
Registered
444 Posts
ummm... Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kernel said:
ummm... Have you checked the transmission fluid level?
Thanks for the reply.

I have to admit that I had not checked the fluid level, counting on my mechanic to keep on top of that.

I just went out and checked, and the transmission fluid level is actually slightly above the range on the dipstick. Presumably that's OK.

Any other ideas?

--
Bert

·
Registered
947 Posts
Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?

·
Registered
444 Posts
right... drain and fill (not powerflush from a quick lube place) with Honda Z1 (or equivalent). There are several threads on how to do this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into changing the transmission fluid.

I was hoping somebody else might have encountered similar symptoms and figured out what the cause was. Has anyone encountered anything like this not-reversing-when-warm problem?

--
Bert

·
Registered
27 Posts
You may want to recheck the connection of the transmission cable to the tranny. I couldn't get mine in gear because my connection was out of alignment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 98 that had a groaning noise during acceleration and was shifting lazily. I just had the transmission replaced with a 2000 JDM Accord part and now it still makes the same noise, but the new mission exhibits the exact same "not reversing when warm" problem that you describe. It has brand new ATF Z1 fluid and the level is fine. I would really like to know if anyone has been able to resolve this issue as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts