Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey, with about 187,000 miles, I'm the 2nd owner. It has been maintained and I have all maintanance receipts from like regular oil changes and tune ups. No checking engine light and no codes at all. Its in very great condition until just last week. I was driving home from work when the engine cuts off in the middle of traffic. All lights on the dash came on and I started the van again and kept going home. The next on my way to way while driving hitting the gas, all lights come on again and it cut off. No warning signs, nothing. Started it up again and went on my way. On the way home it does it again while driving but this time I notice right before it cut off as I'm pushing on the gas, it felt super loose but the van wasn't going any faster but slower and now I'm flooring it and nothing it cuts off. I took it to a mechanic and have since changed the fuel pump, crank position sensor, camshaft sensor, timing belt (since it had to be removed to get to the sensors why not.) and just cause I put in a fuel cleaner in the tank. Ran good and smooth as normal for 2 days and what you know, it dies again at a red light. Let it sit for a little while and drove home. I'm at my whits end with this one. Called the dealer and of course they say bring it and let us rape you. Already spent about $700 in parts and labor. I'm done spending money on maybe parts instead of its this parts. I have read a lot a threads on this issue but not that fit my situation. I have even wiggled the key in the ignition and doesn't cut off. Even left it running on the driveway to see if it happens but nothing only while driving or about to drive off. Im just about to give up and trade it in. Please help, really sux to give up on this van since its in such great shape besides this issue. The body and interior is amazing clean.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Have you looked to see if there is any kind of clog in the catalytic converter? I only say this because if its partially restricted (because the honeycomb has started to breakdown), then it gets clogged and can cause the issues you describe. Get a rubber mallet and bang on the catalytic when cold and see if you hear anything.

If its not that then check the power steering wire - if you search I think there is something about that wire on the passenger side if its corroded or loose it can also cause issues.

What about the fuel filter? If the pump was replaced, did your tech replace the filter too?

Air filter? Is it clean? Any obstructions?

PCV valve and port - are they clean? Would require removal of intake to check but this is a common thing. Not sure if that would cause the stalling though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a try with the catalytic converter. The filters were changed as well. I'll post results of troubleshooting as we go. thanks for the advice and input.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Don't just throw parts at it. There is a way to test the catalytic converter. Read up on it.
They are expensive to have replaced.
Have your engine codes read and see if there are any.(pending codes)
The fuel filter is built into the pump.
Hard to believe that the mechanics changed all that stuff, but changing the timing belt was good preventive maintenance and the was the most expensive part.
You also said " it felt super loose but the van wasn't going any faster but slower and now I'm flooring it and nothing it cuts off".
By that do you mean the engine was reving up and the van not going any faster or?
Voltage variations can cause many problems. Make sure your battery is good and that the battery cable connectors are tight and clean.
I think others have had similar problems and hopefully they will post in the next few days.
Keep playing with that ignition switch to see if will shut down.
Best of luck,
Buffalo4
PS: Read the whole post below, esp #12 and #13
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/185274-honda-odyesey-2001-shuts-off-while-driving-scary.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
wmbg_joe

Same symptoms in my '99 Ody. Turned out to be a problem with the ignition switch for which it was recalled and replaced once on Honda, and the second time on my dime. Seems the power required to start the vehicle is routed through the switch instead of a relay with the electrical arc eventually eroding the switch enough to cause marginal electrical contact in the switch. I ordered the switch online, and replaced it myself for a fraction of what the dealer wanted. The switch is not the part you insert the key into, but is attached to the back of it. Fairly easy to replace. See thread, http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/150722-ignition-switch-problem.html for details.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay everyone. I'm responding here as a hail mary to get some answers. I know this thread is ancient, but I'm hoping someone still checks it and will give me some insight. My wife and I bought a used 2015 Odyssey on Sunday. Yesterday (Thurs), she was driving with our thre boys in the car, and the vehicle, and it just shut off. The vehicle was in motion, but thank God, it was going slow, in a parking lot. Spoke with two different dealers yesterday, and none of them have heard of this happening. My wife is freaked out and scared to drive it now. The vehicle has the push-button start function. One previous owner, spotless title, 37,600 miles. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Okay everyone. I'm responding here as a hail mary to get some answers. I know this thread is ancient, but I'm hoping someone still checks it and will give me some insight. My wife and I bought a used 2015 Odyssey on Sunday. Yesterday (Thurs), she was driving with our thre boys in the car, and the vehicle, and it just shut off. The vehicle was in motion, but thank God, it was going slow, in a parking lot. Spoke with two different dealers yesterday, and none of them have heard of this happening. My wife is freaked out and scared to drive it now. The vehicle has the push-button start function. One previous owner, spotless title, 37,600 miles. Thoughts anyone?
Try posting in the 2011-2017 Odyssey section for possibly faster replies and suggestions.
Did it restart right away or?? Always try to give as much info regarding the incident as possible.

Did the dash lights all light up? Anything else? Did the radio, etc also go off?

It is possible that it is just a loose or corroded battery terminal connection.

I have no idea on how a keyless igntion works and what kind of problems they can cause.

Being a BIG weekend, the responses may be slow in coming.
Also try Googling for faster info.
If possible, call the previous owner to see if it ever happened to him/her.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had these exact symptoms on my 2004 Odyssey. Problem was when accelerating beyond 3000rpm the engine just shuts off. If you understand Honda engines, you know that means there is an issue with the VTEC system. I did not determine the exact cause but I did resolve the problem. The positive battery terminal was corroded an would not clamp tightly, so I cut it off and replaced it. In the process I let the car sit with no battery for 10-20 min, because this clears out stored error codes be in multiple systems in the Odyssey. After the battery was reconnected, the car runs like normal again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a 99 Plymouth Voyager and the battery terminal had corroded and intermittently the van would just die, I discovered it by accident and would hit the terminal with something and the van would start again. So I removed and cleaned it all up and everything worked fine after that (took 5 minutes no codes were reset)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 99 Plymouth Voyager and the battery terminal had corroded and intermittently the van would just die, I discovered it by accident and would hit the terminal with something and the van would start again. So I removed and cleaned it all up and everything worked fine after that (took 5 minutes no codes were reset)
Heh,I used to have a 99 voyager too. I remember my fuel sender crapped out so I wouldn't know when it was time.to.fill.up...sure enough I died on the road and a Few days later died in my drive way- fried the pump. Dropped the side of the tank underneath and changed it.out.

Now I have a 02 Odyssey with 403 KM pretty high! I've changed battery not that long ago and had a although that died on me and changed a year before. I lost power on the side of the highway too.

I thought I had the ignition switch key issues well because that would happen from time to time where it would just die out on me but it always fired back up. Well last might it didn't. Slow death on the highway..pulled to the aide of road...cranks bit no start.

After 20 minutes of being stranded I thought cycle the fuel pump and that got be back on the road...I think this time it was a bad batch of gas but that concerns me for going a far distance. I tried wiggling the key and it would still stay on

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Heh,I used to have a 99 voyager too. I remember my fuel sender crapped out so I wouldn't know when it was time.to.fill.up...sure enough I died on the road and a Few days later died in my drive way- fried the pump. Dropped the side of the tank underneath and changed it.out.

Now I have a 02 Odyssey with 403 KM pretty high! I've changed battery not that long ago and had a although that died on me and changed a year before. I lost power on the side of the highway too.

I thought I had the ignition switch key issues well because that would happen from time to time where it would just die out on me but it always fired back up. Well last might it didn't. Slow death on the highway..pulled to the aide of road...cranks bit no start.

After 20 minutes of being stranded I thought cycle the fuel pump and that got be back on the road...I think this time it was a bad batch of gas but that concerns me for going a far distance. I tried wiggling the key and it would still stay on
Sounds more like the Main Relay which controls the fuel pump..
Supposedly it get some cracks in the circuit board and shuts off the fuel pump after it warms up. Then, sometimes after it cools some, it will work for some time.
Some fix it by removing it and re-soldering the board etc.
Do some research and I think you will find out what you need.
Main Relay
Buffalo4`

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you, never saw this until now. When I looked this problem up people always talked about the ignition switch first

I pulled her out and sure enough a crack in the solder where it usually is... I haven't driven around too much since but it would start..hopefully it wont die anymore after a quick solder job

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 02 odyssey as well and the same thing happened... it was the battery terminal... I replaced both and never had a problem from it again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get an answer? We have the same Odyssey and the same thing is happening. Honda has it right now and can't duplicate it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sigh, new poster asking the wrong question. Just because you have the same Ody with the same problem does not mean that the same thing will fix it.
Have you tried the various troubleshooting tips posted here and in other threads? Have you checked the main relay? Have you checked the battery terminals?
If you post what you checked and tried, and what year and model Ody you have- and maybe check threads and post in the 4th generation thread if that's what you have?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts