Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my new van is “broken in” (dealer and others (Click & Clack?) say no need for this with a modern engine, others will religiously disagree) I’ve been seeing what all those 240 horses will do. I’ve had some experience with a few front drive cars in the past, though all were manual shift, so I’m aware of how the engine torque affects steering when accelerating hard.

I was not, however, prepared for “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride” when punching the Odyssey:

Boom!
First gear, pulls to one side, compensate ... compensate
Shifts, oops! overcompensated ... steer back, course corrected
Pulling to one side again in second gear, compensate ... compensate
Shifts again, oops! overcompensating again, steer back, staying on target … stay on target
and so on ...

It’s not a pretty site: A 2 ton van careening down the interstate, going about 80 mph, weaving back and forth with each shift, kids hanging out the windows screaming, wife beating me over the head with her Totes umbrella.

I guess on my other cars, being in control of the shifts allowed me to pre-steer a straight path in anticipation of letting off the accelerator, shifting to the next gear, then back at it again. With the Odyssey’s automatic transmission I’m sort of at its mercy and caught off guard. I’m sure I’ll get better at it. I just hope I don’t take out any guardrails in the process.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’86 Civic – gone
, but not forgotten
’90 4Runner – great, but lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
All humor aside, the only time I've experienced what you describe is when accelerating either from a standstill or a very low speed on wet pavement when the traction control was controlling the wheelspin. Otherwise I've found the Ody to be more predictable than I thought a van could be.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
All humor aside, the only time I've experienced what you describe is when accelerating either from a standstill or a very low speed on wet pavement when the traction control was controlling the wheelspin. Otherwise I've found the Ody to be more predictable than I thought a van could be.</font>
I guess I should have been more specific: This only occurs from a standstill (like when I'm dusting a Town&Country
), and I think the TCS is on (let’s see: light on, system off, light off, system on ... or is it visa versa?), but TCS shouldn’t be engaging, as the traction conditions don’t warrant it. It’s not all that bad, just a little unnerving the first few times.
------------------------------------------------------------------
’86 Civic – gone
, but not forgotten
’90 4Runner – great, but lacking for a family of 5
’02 GG Odyssey EX-L-RES – hello, my new best friend

tnuckels

[This message has been edited by tnuckels (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you spin a wheel starting out, the TCS WILL activate. The only way to avoid it is to use a little less throttle or turn the system off, resulting in more wheel spin, but not the "jerky" feeling you experienced.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
It's those Michelin Symmetry's, or whatever soccer-mom tires you got on there. They are like riding on a bristle brush. Switch to MXV4 Plus or Pilot XGT-H4, or similar performance tires. Then STAND ON IT, and get back to us.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've seen the same thing in my 02. My guess was the tires also. On another note, my Windstar displays the same symptoms after installing Michelin X-ones.

------------------
02 Evergreen Pearl EX
98 Windstar LX
http://home.earthlink.net/~twolazydogs/ for pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've noticed the same "wild ride" syndrome in my 2002. I usually notice it most when some retard is doing 50 mph on the highway (in 65 mph zones). When I find a clear spot, and slam the throttle, that's when it feels like the wheels are jerking left to right, or vice versa. My wife just looks at me and says "cool, ain't it?"
I don't mind it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts