Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the format that the Odyssey USB can read is only FAT32 and not NTFS?

Has anyone tried to connect an external hardrive to the USB of the Odyssey and see if it would read it?

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You definitely need fat32. I don't know if you'd want to hook up an external harddrive, but it might be possible. The interface for usb isn't the greatest and the order of music would be in order it was written to the hard drive. For a large collection it is pretty tough to scroll through. you can't sort by artist albums or anything. I hooked up a 2 GB flash drive that had 10 albums and I didn't like it. Unless you were to shuffle all or listen in the order they are written it would be fine, but a larger collection would be very hard to scroll and find anything specific.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've tried a 4GB Kingston thumb drive formatted FAT32 and it worked. I am not sure if the USB port has enough power to run an external HD. Besides, why would you want to bounce a HD around in the glove box, it would eventually crash the HD (unless you put suspend it somehow and not overheat it).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oh one more thing ... if you place the music into albums or folders on a USB thumbdrive, you can have it random shuffle the folder (at least the manual says you can do this, I have not tried it).

FYI ... if your cell phone has music and is accessible as a drive, you can try what I did to get my Blackberry to work as a USB drive. (see post http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-2011-odyssey/143546-usb-music-blackberry.html)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you have any luck with bigger size disks?

I as such have lots of albums and wanted to fully use the USB feature and had the albums/tracks organized properly. It is one thing that the tags work weird on some but alright on others. A totally different and more disappointing thing is, I bought a passport drive (100GB) in hopes of dumping all my music and use it. The honda system does not even recognize and gives error. I am pretty disappointed.
Anybody has some luck getting a Passport disk to work ? I have no problem using the simple flash drive...

Whats the limitation on size?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Volume size

Did you format the drive to FAT32? If so, I'd agree that it doesn't have enough power. Sometime a shorter USB cable will work, but in this case, the cable from the glove box to the navi would be in addition to the size of cable you use and wouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NTFS does not work

Yep, I formatted my 2GB flash drive to NTFS and it doesn't play the songs. I had FAT by default but then it does not support more than 131 songs. I am going to try FAT32 and see if I can get more songs that way.

·
Registered
161 Posts
NTFS would not work.

FAT or FAT32 ... make folders and put the songs in the folders, the root directory is limited to the number of files/folders it can hold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Passport (or any external) hard drive ... are you sure you want to have a hard drive bounce around in the car? That is the fastest way to have a drive's head crash.

I have a gut feeling the HDD in the Odyssey is a 16GB flash drive, given that there is only 15GB of usable space. I doubt they make physical hard drives that small anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts