Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The redesigned CRV is slated to make its first appearance on dealer lots on Nov. 12th. Take a look in the current Car and Driver for pictures and an article. The styling is a little bland, but overall it sounds like a vast improvement over the old one

My question is, have any of you Odyssey shoppers (with 1 or 2 kids) considered this vehicle instead of the Odyssey? IMHO Honda/Acura makes the best vehicles out there for the money, so the CRV and Odyssey are at the top of my list. Aside from the obvious differences-- Ody is larger, has V-6 and third seat, does anyone want to compare these two? Maybe a list of pros and cons?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Believe it or not, I use to own a 2001 Silver CR-V SE. With leather seats, leather steering wheel, CD, Cassette, roof rack, etc, etc. Recently traded in for a 2002 Odyssey EX-L. I heard the 2002 CR-V are a lot quieter, faster and little bigger in the inside than the 1st generation CR-V. The reason why I traded the CR-V is because the room of the Ody and the 240hp. I did had fun with the CR-V, but I cannot believe how much fun I got from a 2002 Odyssey. I still cannot specifically say that the 2002 CR-V would be the better choice over an 2002 Ody (have not test driven the 2002 CR-V, my friend did not to long ago). If you want a reliable SUV with great power and do not care about space, I guess the 2002 CR-V would be the best choice. If want luxurious space, quick acceleration, power, quiet automatic five speed transmission ride, then, the Ody would be the EXCELLENT choice.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We were also very interested in the CR-V before buying our Ody. But we decided on the Ody because, like mentioned above, that third seat is needed, specially when we bring family and friends with us...

Louise,
02, Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rumbaoa- I'm not sure how your friend could have driven the 2002 CR-V, when it doesn't come out until 11/12/01.

And what was the main reason you traded a brand new CR-V? Third child? Odyssey is safer? or ?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My brother in law has a 2000 CRV. I've driven it several times and did not like it.

I found it drastically underpowered, and the ride was very rough. It is very small inside, offering not much more space than a car unless you fold down the back seat. In which you case you end up with a two seater. I don't think anyone takes their CRV offroad, so that's not a consideration.

Almost the opposite of the Odyssey, which is well powered, offers a smooth ride, and carries four with LOTS of cargo space, or seven with medium trunk-sized cargo space.

The CRV _can_ carry decent cargo with the seats folded, however.

He complains about not-so-great mileage, I don't know about that.

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports recommends the Toyota Rav4 and Subaru Forester over the CRV in the small SUV category.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES - on order
2001 Mesa Beige EX - recently sold

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To those who've driven the redesigned CR-V, what were your impressions? Would it work for a family of four? We have two kids under 5, but we'd keep the vehicle several years.

[This message has been edited by hondaboy (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hondaboy,

Check-out hondasuv.com

The owner (my friend) of that website DID test drive a 2002 CR-V. Read the whole story under first impressions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife and I drove the 2002 CRV EX and the 2002 Odyssey EX.

The CR-V is niced enough, it's an improvement overall from the 2001 model. More power, more room.

If you have 2 kids in carseats, you're maxed out for space though. Not a bunch of room behind the second seat. It's noisier than the Odyssey as well.

For our family, a minivan just makes sense for now so we chose the Odyssey. More power, lots more room, room for 6 or 7 fairly easily with quite a bit of cargo room leftover.

Given the AWD is nice to have in the winter (especially here in MN) but we already have a 99 Suburban 4x4 and we just use that when the weather is bad.

Scott

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife and I had test drove the 2002 CR-V last December its way a lot better than its predecessor (power, space and overall appearance). We have a 10 year old daugther and was about ready to buy 4 weeks ago but we learned there's another member of the family coming our way this September. So that same day after leaving the clinic we went to our dealer and took a look at the Odyssey that was on the lot and after that went home with our new Redrock Pearl Ody EX. To say the least both vehicles are great its just a matter of meeting what your needs are.

------------------
'02 Odyssey EX Redrock Pearl

[This message has been edited by PlayItLoud (edited 02-14-2002).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If anyone else has compared these two, I'd really like to hear (er, read) your thoughts on the subject. Many Thanks.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have 2 small children and a CRV

and that's why we're getting an Ody. The CRV was a perfect fit for one child and our dog. But with two carseats in the back, there is almost no room. I can not sit between the carseats if I need to attend to baby. When our Britax Roundabout was rearfacing, we couldn't even move the front seat all the way back. Carpooling is a joke ("here little kid, climb through the front window, trip between the front seats, wacking me with your backpack, and try to insert yourself between these carseats")! I can not wait to push my power door button at the carpooling curb. Ahhhh. And with the back full of strollers, diaper bags and other baby stuff, there is no room for the dog. Also, I am disappointed with the horsepower in the CRV - it struggles up hills and to merge with highway traffic. I will miss the 4 weel-drive though...

·
Registered
12 Posts
We test drove the new CRV before we decided on the Ody. We have three kids and had decided the CRV would not work before we made it out of the dealership parking lot. I really loved the CRV and if we did not have children, would love to own one. It is just not practical for us.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts