Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my celestial blue odyssey with 1 mile on it. I have two paint issues:

1) There is a small paint "tear" (1/2" length) on the rear passenger side (see photos). Dealer is going to repair, however I am concerned that the repair might look worse than the damage? Anyone familiar with paint repair? The salesman offered to give me some touch up paint, but I said no I wanted it properly fixed.

2) Not sure if this is a problem or normal...under bright lighting conditions it appears as if there are "blotches" in certain spots of the car. However, as the lighting changes these blotches disappear. I read somewhere that metallic paints can do this?

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
The paint repair will not be perfect as the factory robot paint. Good chance they will just buff it out to smoothen the clear coat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The paint repair will not be perfect as the factory robot paint. Good chance they will just buff it out to smoothen the clear coat.
Buff out problem 1 or problem 2?

Problem 1 is a peel (underneath the paint is black), so I don't think they can buff that? So do I just use touch up which we all know doesn't look perfect. Or do I have them take it to body shop to repair, in which case I risk matching, durability, etc?

Problem 2 I could see them buffing, but will that lesson the durability of the paint job?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buff out problem 1 or problem 2?

Problem 1 is a peel (underneath the paint is black), so I don't think they can buff that? So do I just use touch up which we all know doesn't look perfect. Or do I have them take it to body shop to repair, in which case I risk matching, durability, etc?

Problem 2 I could see them buffing, but will that lesson the durability of the paint job?
I think I am going to try to have them replace the whole piece described in problem 1 (paint tear/peel) with a piece painted from the factory. Only 3 bolts to remove it, so I would think it's not a problem.

I also found another chip/imperfection underneath the rear bumper.

What a pain!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would recommend just using touch up paint to fix it. With how small it is and the location, they're going to paint more than just that 1/2" piece so they can blend the new paint into the original and your going to risk more problems by having it painted

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend just using touch up paint to fix it. With how small it is and the location, they're going to paint more than just that 1/2" piece so they can blend the new paint into the original and your going to risk more problems by having it painted
What if I get an entire new piece from the factory pre-painted? Or is that a pipe dream?

OR

Have the dealer paint the entire piece (not just that small area) if they won't get me one from the factory?

Still better to use touch up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just picked up my celestial blue odyssey with 1 mile on it. I have two paint issues:

1) There is a small paint "tear" (1/2" length) on the rear passenger side (see photos). Dealer is going to repair, however I am concerned that the repair might look worse than the damage? Anyone familiar with paint repair? The salesman offered to give me some touch up paint, but I said no I wanted it properly fixed.

2) Not sure if this is a problem or normal...under bright lighting conditions it appears as if there are "blotches" in certain spots of the car. However, as the lighting changes these blotches disappear. I read somewhere that metallic paints can do this?
Here is a photo of "blotches" the blotches in problem 2. If you look closely you can see a 6-8" circle to the left of the door handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow, that crack is terrible. How did that pass Quality Inspection from the factory and the dealer?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can virtually guarantee that a factory painted part is not available. It simply wouldn't be feasible for them to stock all of the different parts with all of the different colors.
I would not be afraid of a complete repaint or a blend job, assuming it's in the hands of a competent professional. If you're still hesitant, see if you can get an extended warranty for that part.
Last, metallics can blotch if the technique used to apply the paint isn't perfect. Without going into all of them, there are many factors that can cause this although I'm surprised this would happen on a factory job.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So do I just use touch up which we all know doesn't look perfect. Or do I have them take it to body shop to repair, in which case I risk matching, durability, etc?
If the Honda authorized shop uses the OEM paint (08703-B564MAH-PN for the celestial blue mica) it should be OK, I don't see why it would not match.

And no, I've not seen the "blotching" on mine, not that I've paid close attention though :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can virtually guarantee that a factory painted part is not available. It simply wouldn't be feasible for them to stock all of the different parts with all of the different colors.
I would not be afraid of a complete repaint or a blend job, assuming it's in the hands of a competent professional. If you're still hesitant, see if you can get an extended warranty for that part.
Last, metallics can blotch if the technique used to apply the paint isn't perfect. Without going into all of them, there are many factors that can cause this although I'm surprised this would happen on a factory job.
Thanks for the reply. I kinda thought that the factory wouldn't stock that part pre-painted, you are probably right.

My thought is that repainting the whole part would look better than a blend or a touch up. However, if I can tell the difference after the re-paint I will regret fixing it at all. I did end up getting the bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for 6 years/120k miles. I know the honda shop doesn't do the paint work themselves, but I don't know who they use.

The blotch is subtle, but I will ask them about it. Probably not worth trying to have it fixed I am guessing? Can you see it in my photo? Just say "no", ha.

I wish I didn't see these things, but some how I end up finding them. My wife thinks I am crazy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you looked at the van under the sun for imperfections? Blotches?
Was the van detailed before delivery?

The blotches could be what the Meguiars site calls

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

Keep us posted. P.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you looked at the van under the sun for imperfections? Blotches?
Was the van detailed before delivery?

The blotches could be what the Meguiars site calls

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

Keep us posted. P.
Yes, they detailed it. Yes, I looked at it under the sun and posted a photo in a post above of the blotch. Doesn't look anything like DISO. Car had 1 mile on it when i got into driver seat, so it came from factory like this.

I am leaning towards fixing the crack by having them paint the whole part using oem paint. And ignore the blotch issue because it is not noticeable to the "untrained" eye (I asked a few friends if they saw anything...all said no until I pointed it out). I will definitely ask the dealer about it though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it is a crack I would have them repaint the panel not touch up. It should be covered under factory warranty I know the car company I work for paint defects are covered 12/12. The first pic you showed looks like it was something that was done eitehr at delivery or during the "detail" prep at the dealer I would think that could be buffed out. But I would have to see it in person

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update...went to the honda dealer and was told the following:

Issue 1) paint tear/peel...they can get that part factory painted and replace it.

Issue 2) paint blotch...they said they want to try to buff it because they think it's a clear coat issue. If that doesn't work I told them I want to talk to a honda rep.

Question: If they buff a 1' x 1' area, am I going to be able to tell it was buffed relative to the rest of the car? It's on the passenger sliding door.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The peeling paint needs to be fixed....not touched up. That will just continue to peel out further.......Honda Quality

·
Registered
86 Posts
Had the same issue but on the front bumper. About a 1mm diameter chunk of paint missing exposing the black plastic bumper. I caught it when I got home but decided to just apply a drop of touchup paint on it since the front bumper will be full of chips within the year. If this occurred on a metal surface, I would be more concerned but for the front bumper, it wasn't a big deal and I didn't want to deal with bringing the car back and forth since my wife pregnant and close to the due date of our first child and I already happen to have the touchup paint handy from my old car which was the same alabaster silver as the van.
But I gotta say, Honda quality isn't what it used to be.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Meeting Honda Rep for Paint Issues...need advice!

My 2011 EXL Odyssey has paint issues. On both sides of the vehicle, encompassing the front / rear doors, have clouding and blotchiness. The dealer, the dealer body shop, and an independent body shop all confirmed that there is a problem. It's most likely in the clear coat, but will require painting both doors and blending with the front and rear quarter panels on both sides of vehicle. They tried to buff it, but it did not resolve the problem. The issue is subtle and is most prevelant in certain lighting conditions (mostly bright).

I did not catch this until I brought the vehicle home, but did identify it to the dealer within 30 days. I told the dealer that I shouldn't need half of my brand new vehicle painted and that I wanted a replacement vehicle. Moreover, breaking the factory paint to have it repainted lessens the quality of the paint job. The dealer has been very compasionate and agrees that we shouldn't paint the vehicle. I have an appointment with the dealer and the honda rep tomorrow morning.

I need advice on how to handle the honda rep. I ultimately want a new vehicle. If they don't budge and say they will repaint it with a guarantee, what should I do? Get it repainted and hope it looks good and lasts? Leave it the way it is and ask for compensation (the collision shop I took it too said it would cost $2000 to repaint).

Along with the cloudiness, there are several other small paint issues such as particles in the paint and small chips in the bumper. It's probably one of the worst paint jobs on a new vehicle I have ever seen. Extemely dissapointed and frustrated.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Given the nature of the defect and the similar posts in the forum I doubt that stingy Honda will replace the car, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Now, you still have them on your side it seems, so just make sure the painting job is done by a certified Honda shop (with the OEM paint of course, do some research on the Web for the ones with the best feedback in your area) and that they compensate you for the inconvenience (i.e. get a loaner for the duration of the inconvenience and get them to provide you with other goodies like free oil changes or other services)

Once I owned a Honda Civic that got hit when new. My blood was boiling but the Honda certified shop did a very good job, nobody could notice it (even years after the incident)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts