Honda Odyssey Forum banner

OEM alarm keeps triggering

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  spencerb 
#1 ·
Over the last 3 days my '05 Touring suddenly has started triggering the alarm for no obvious (to me) reason. No one has broken in, no tampering. Just suddenly the horn is honking. It's the OEM security system and nothing has been modified on it. Anyone else experience this before?

#3 ·
I ended up having the dealer look at it. The van was there for the brake master recall and a couple other things too. They said a seatbelt was stuck in one of the sliding doors (OK I can see that being an issue one day, but this has been happening over 3 days with all kinds of in and out traffic so I'm sure that wasn't the cause every time). They also said the battery needs replacing. So I'm hoping that will be the solve.

#4 ·
Chances are you have a sensitive door closed switch or the hood switch. They can get sensitive and open/close with temperature change. Try thumping the doors and hood around the switches and see if one sets it off.

#5 ·
I have an '06 EX-L with 93,000 miles.
Just yesterday, my van started blaring the alarm for no reason. The first time was at 10pm. But the next time was at 2:30am. My wife tells me it went off this morning around 11 when she was at the store.

Any updates on what the issue might be?

I'm gonna lock the doors in the garage tonight and see if this happens again.

I'm also thinking there is a door switch that might be sticking or something like that.

#9 ·
Don't remember if I ever updated this, not at a real computer at the moment. But for me the problem went away with a new battery. The existing one appeared to have decent voltage but when load tested would reveal it was dying. YMMV but for me the problem has not recurred since a new battery.

#10 ·
Thanks, I replaced the old Optima yellow top with a new about 6 months ago when it didn't seem to be holding charge anymore. It was almost 6 years old so figured maybe it was just done. New one went about two weeks before it did the same. Turned out to be a known problem with a worn down starter motor. Had the stater replaced and recharged the battery (nice thing about yellow top is its a hybrid starting/deep cycle) and its been solid ever since. Just confirmed with the wife. So I don't think that's it, at least I hope not! Had I replaced the starter from the get go I could've saved myself 2 bills on a new battery.

#12 ·
A new owner of an '06 Odyssey EX-L. There is nothing quite so frustrating as having the alarm go off at 2:30am. It's a great way to meet the new neighbors! (not so much!)

I've been through these forums, used search and everything (Billy would be so proud of me!).

I've scoured through the owner's manual in search of two answers.

1. There is no mention of a 'valet mode' for the '06 Honda Odyssey in the manual, and a search of Yahoo/Google finds a reference to a switch that for the most part doesn't seem to invoke valet mode. Does anyone have a definitive method for disabling the alarm?

2. I work the second shift. I sometimes get home at 2:00am - 3:00am. I lock the Odyssey. Sometimes I get two beeps, other times I get three. Is there a way of disabling the horn when I either lock or unlock the car?

My neighbors are becoming somewhat less forgiving about the horns in the wee hours of the morning. I can't for the life of me understand why?

Please help me! I don't want to have to move. I like it here! :)

Regards.

#13 ·
Don't press the second time and verify the doors are locked manually. All the second press does is verify the doors are locked and the alarm is set. I don't know if you can program the PCM to turn it off on your model. You will have to check the owners manual for it.

#14 ·
I had the phantom alarm triggering in another (non-Honda) car of mine. One of the door switches was sticking. I figured out which one by opening the door and noticing that there was a split second delay in the dome light coming on. I replaced the switch and never had a false alarm again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.