Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI... 07+ MDX and '09+ PIlot brake calipers and rotors will bolt up to a 3rd gen Odyssey. Just need to check the offset of the bigger calipers.

The rotors and pistons are way bigger. Might help reduce rotor warpage on the puny stock Ody brakes. I'm definitely looking into doing this swap myself. Just trying to find out final details between the MDX vs. Pilot calipers. They share the same rotors (330mm MDX/PIlot vs. 296mm Ody rotors).

This might mean the stock 16" rims may not fit... I think it's going to be 17" minimum... maybe even 18" min. Not sure yet.

If you guys already have upgraded to 17-18" wheels... you might want to consider bigger front brakes...

·
Registered
435 Posts
FYI... 07+ MDX and '09+ PIlot brake calipers and rotors will bolt up to a 3rd gen Odyssey. Just need to check the offset of the bigger calipers.

The rotors and pistons are way bigger. Might help reduce rotor warpage on the puny stock Ody brakes. I'm definitely looking into doing this swap myself. Just trying to find out final details between the MDX vs. Pilot calipers. They share the same rotors (330mm MDX/PIlot vs. 296mm Ody rotors).

This might mean the stock 16" rims may not fit... I think it's going to be 17" minimum... maybe even 18" min. Not sure yet.

If you guys already have upgraded to 17-18" wheels... you might want to consider bigger front brakes...
Hey Joe422,

Have you found anything out on this yet? I'm interested in knowing if it'll work or not, as I'm looking to improve the braking in my Ody as well.
I'm curious if the 4th gen Ody brakes will work on the 3rd gen Ody as well. Just not sure who to ask to find out this information.
It would be sweet, if it can be done.

Let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.. the 4th gen brakes will fit 3rd gen too... but if you're going to upgrade... why not get the best stuff from the bin?

Honda/Acura's MDX has the largest rotors so far, and they are used on the ZDX, and current Pilot.

Pilot has a slightly more compact caliper dimensions vs. MDX, and smaller pistons too, so it maybe a better swap for the 3rd gen Ody's master cyl.
Since Pilot comes with 17" wheels, I assume you can use 17" rims with it... right?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes.. the 4th gen brakes will fit 3rd gen too... but if you're going to upgrade... why not get the best stuff from the bin?

Honda/Acura's MDX has the largest rotors so far, and they are used on the ZDX, and current Pilot.

Pilot has a slightly more compact caliper dimensions vs. MDX, and smaller pistons too, so it maybe a better swap for the 3rd gen Ody's master cyl.
Since Pilot comes with 17" wheels, I assume you can use 17" rims with it... right?
Has anyone done this yet with either MDX or current Pilot rotors/calipers? I have an 08 Touring which already has 17" wheels... I'm curious if this would be a direct bolt-on replacement.

The sucky brakes are the ONLY thing I hate about my Ody!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm curious too, the brakes are overworked on this beast of a van. I need more stopping power!

·
Registered
435 Posts

Are all of those that you have mentioned, straight bolt-on? Or, does it require modifications for them to fit? Modifications meaning, brackets and what not to mount the calipers.
Also, what years are we talking about here for the MDX, ZDX, and Pilots?

Thanks for the info so far.

·
Registered
94 Posts

:rollingeyes: Pilot's rotors.

2009 Pilot
I'm on my second pair with 27k miles 75% highway miles.
First pair were turned at 9600 miles and switched out at 16k with new pads from Honda.

The current ones on there now are not fairing any better then the first set.
Have a vibration already upon light braking...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are all of those that you have mentioned, straight bolt-on? Or, does it require modifications for them to fit? Modifications meaning, brackets and what not to mount the calipers.
Also, what years are we talking about here for the MDX, ZDX, and Pilots?

Thanks for the info so far.
Yeah I'm interested too, but would be less confused if folks are specific about compatible Ody/Pilot/MDX years and models.

:rollingeyes: Pilot's rotors.

2009 Pilot
I'm on my second pair with 27k miles 75% highway miles.
First pair were turned at 9600 miles and switched out at 16k with new pads from Honda.

The current ones on there now are not fairing any better then the first set.
Have a vibration already upon light braking...
What year is your Ody ? Model ?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.. to clear up any confusion...

3rd gen Ody, 4th gen Ody, current Pilot, Ridgeline, 2nd gen MDX, ZDX...

All of these have the EXACT same dimenson for caliper mounting... and as long as you use a "matched" set... they are all interchangeable (not that anyone should install ody brakes on an MDX :rollingeyes: )

The Ody hubs will accomodate any of the rotors... once again, as long as you match the sets... for example... Pilot calipers + Pilot rotors... Ridgeline calipers + ridgeline rotors.... MDX calipers + MDX rotors... they all fit the ODY's.

Technically they will all bolt up just fine, and won't affect wheel offsets or anything. HOWEVER... its up to you to use proper wheels that clear whatever brakes you decide to go with. It seems to me that 17" would be the min... and 18" should clear everything.

Even the stock brake lines will bolt on fine... just make sure to use new crush washers on the banjo bolts for the connection to the calipers.

Lastly, the only part that I didn't mention.. is the dust/splash shield behind the rotors. They may need some trimming depending on what setup you go with... or you can replace them w/the matched calipers and rotors you picked, but you'll have to remove the wheel bearings and hub to do this. Just not worth it imho.

I'm definitely going to swap/upgrade calipers and rotors myself too... I'm just on the fence about which brand rotors and pads to go with (oem vs. aftermarket)

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
Very interesting. Please post pix when you do swap the calipers/rotors as having an OEM upgrade might be a lot cheaper and cleaner than BBKs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yea... as for the Pilot brakes that suck... I don't know... I've never owned a Pilot... but I have owned a '08 MDX, and absolutely LOVED the brakes. I was going to use MDX calipers at first... but I got a tip saying the One Lap Odyssey race team swapped to PILOT brakes w/ nice improvements over stock (now they run BREMBO's... but hey, oem swap can cost less an a pair of Brembo rotors).

Plus the Pilot's caliper piston size is closer to the ODY's. The MDX has much bigger pistons, and that might effect bias and pressure.

·
Administrator
14,510 Posts
I had been happy with the Brembos on the Maxima. But I was using Axxis Metal Master pads that literally eat away your rotors so I had to replace 'em at the next pad change. They werent warped but the grooves were bad so I chose to just bite the bullet and replace.

·
Registered
688 Posts
2008 Ody EX-L
2009 PILOT EX-L 4WD
Since you have both an 08 Ody and 09 Pilot, can you look at both and tell us if the Pilot calipers and rotors are much bigger than the Odys?

I figure if I try this upgrade with the 09 Pilot brakes and it ends up not being much better, I'd regret not having gone with the MDX brakes instead.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ok.. to clear up any confusion...

3rd gen Ody, 4th gen Ody, current Pilot, Ridgeline, 2nd gen MDX, ZDX...

All of these have the EXACT same dimenson for caliper mounting... and as long as you use a "matched" set... they are all interchangeable (not that anyone should install ody brakes on an MDX :rollingeyes: )

The Ody hubs will accomodate any of the rotors... once again, as long as you match the sets... for example... Pilot calipers + Pilot rotors... Ridgeline calipers + ridgeline rotors.... MDX calipers + MDX rotors... they all fit the ODY's.

Technically they will all bolt up just fine, and won't affect wheel offsets or anything. HOWEVER... its up to you to use proper wheels that clear whatever brakes you decide to go with. It seems to me that 17" would be the min... and 18" should clear everything.

Even the stock brake lines will bolt on fine... just make sure to use new crush washers on the banjo bolts for the connection to the calipers.

Lastly, the only part that I didn't mention.. is the dust/splash shield behind the rotors. They may need some trimming depending on what setup you go with... or you can replace them w/the matched calipers and rotors you picked, but you'll have to remove the wheel bearings and hub to do this. Just not worth it imho.

I'm definitely going to swap/upgrade calipers and rotors myself too... I'm just on the fence about which brand rotors and pads to go with (oem vs. aftermarket)
Oh, so I need 17" wheels at minimum ? :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Correct. It's up to you to use the right wheels for brake clearance.

Stock '09 Ody rotors are 11.6" diam.
MDX/Pilot rotos are 12.9" diam.

Just the size alone should help w/heat dissipation, and help leverage the brake torque.

Be aware that MDX calipers are a smudge larger in dimension (about 6mm radially) than Pilot calipers.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Correct. It's up to you to use the right wheels for brake clearance.

Stock '09 Ody rotors are 11.6" diam.
MDX/Pilot rotos are 12.9" diam.

Just the size alone should help w/heat dissipation, and help leverage the brake torque.

Be aware that MDX calipers are a smudge larger in dimension (about 6mm radially) than Pilot calipers.
So after reading all the input here, would you say that the 09 Pilot calipers and rotors would be the best upgrade option for the 05-10 Ody?

It looks like they have the same size rotor area as the MDX ones, but a caliper size more like stock... whereas 09 Ody rotors (while bigger than 08 Stock) are smaller than the 09 Pilot ones.

Does this all sound correct to you??

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes... I personally am planning to use current Pilot calipers for sure.
I'm trying to source out any rotors and pads that migh be better than oem (after all, this is an "upgrade"... right?)

I'm also trying to find SS braided brake lines too, but seems like nobody makes them for the Ody. They really help firm up the brake feel.

Anyway,
MDX and Pilot use the exact same rotor. Same part number.

'05-'10 Ody's all share the exact same brake rotor
'05-'09 Ody's all share the exact same calipers
'10 Ody shares same caliper as Crosstour.

For a budget, oem upgrade, IMHO, the Pilot brakes are the way to go.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW..try to stay away from the cheap $35 dollar brake rotors...they are NOT all made the same, and can actually make braking performance worse.

If I can't find any rotors better than stock, then I'm just going with Honda OEM.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm totally digging this thread, great info..love love love OE upgrades, and don't want to steal anyone's thunder.

That being said...

One caveat, though. The diameter of the wheel is important, but the shape of the spokes can be a bugger, too. If the mounting face of your wheel is flat, for standard calipers, and the larger rotors move it out further, it can move it into an area of the inside of the back of the spokes closer to the barrel of the wheel where clearancing can become troublesome.

I've experienced this on TL-S's, CL-S's, a couple of Golf's, a 99 Civic Si (with the large Brembo GT kit under 16" TE37's)

If one were to go to StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades that area of their site explains what I'm saying in graphic detail.

I would think fitment might be more of an issue if someone de-PAX'd their van and chose a wheel design that might lend itself to problems. (Wheels with a deep lip.)

1 - 20 of 150 Posts