Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
Should I buy an OEM trailer hitch or after mark hitch?
And what about the cutting in the rear bumper to put the OEM hitch, is it worth it, can it damage the rear bumper?
Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
OEM hitch all the way if you care at all about aesthetics. Non of the aftermarkets look good hanging off the rear of the van. Honda designed the system so cutting the small opening in the bumper is part of how it was engineered to work and it works well.

On a side note we followed a Sienna across WI last weekend with an aftermarket hitch installed. They had maybe 4 inches of clearance max between the bottom of the hitch and road and that was with nothing attached to it. We were laughing because sparks were flying as they went over some bumps and the hitch bottomed on the road.

Not sure how they would tow anything with that hitch and the car loaded as well.

JD

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Thanks for the info! I though about that, the hitch being to low!
I'm still a bit concern about the cutting and all the elements has for the snow,mud,rocks etc... but again if it was made for that(the cutting), I guest i'm
worrying too much!
Thanks again!
Phil:)

·
Banned
727 Posts
We have the Honda hitch. Great installed look. Dealer Mae the bumper cuts and also installed the required transmission cooler. The higher ground clearance is preferable to aftermarket setup we had on our 2008 Sienna.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Honda hitch and I cut the bumper myself. The higher ground clearance is a must if your garage is on a slope. Once the bumper is cut, removing the hitch is not an option unless you plan to replace the bumper. If you think you won't remove the hitch at all. The hitch actually look way better than the aftermarket one. The bumper covered big portion of the hitch so it has way better rust protection in the long one. I saw a lot of aftermarket hitch get rusty after a few years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;)
Look's like I will go whit the Honda hitch. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it ?
Thank you, Phil

Black touring!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the hitch with my van together but I don't need them to install it as they charge me with installation. I paid roughly $280-300. A quick search on ebay is $275 + shipping. I don't know how my much dealer sale it as individual parts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dealers charge around $300 for labor for the hitch install. I got a couple quotes and it's pretty darn pricey. Some dealers will only install the hitch with the AT cooler and want 1100-1400 for parts & labor. Very pricey especially if you just want to tow some bikes around like me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would agree that the price of the towing package from Honda has always been on the high side. My dealer installed the package for $1k which is about $250 for the labor... I would have only saved about $100 installing the hitch and wiring myself and having the dealer install the tranny cooler. It was not worth it to me so I just had them do the entire project.

Now if I ever have any issues with the drive train there will be no finger pointing other than back to the dealer. The labor for installing is not really the problem it is the combination of what they are charging for the parts and labor that makes it seem high.

JD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to decide between a Toyota Highlander XLE and an Odyssey for traveling and also towing my coleman camper - approximate gross weight of 3,000 lbs. Has anyone had any problems towing a camper around that weight with Their Odyssey?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hitch - also pondering

This is very helpful. We have a bike rack that fits in to a 2" opening. I was debating ordering the htich online and installing it because I don't need electrical or cooler for towing bikes...... However, I had not realized about the cutting of the bumper. Our dealer for parts and installation is charging $1600. That is staggering to me. We just bought the van (2017 TOuring) and I am also worried about accountability, if there were to be an issue. I may call a few other dealers to see what they say about cost. I should have negotiated this when buying the van.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
It may be in the wrong section but I bought a oem Honda hitch recently for my 08 and installed it myself. Well the actually square receiver part of the hitch was welded at a angle. I took it back to show them and the service manger told me that was normal. Then he asked who installed it. I told him me and no matter how you install you can't install it at a angle. And plus it was missing half the hardware. I told him I didn't pay the extra money for this. He finally agreed to order me a new one. So beware if you get a Honda hitch make sure it is straight.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was having trouble deciding which hitch to go with - in particular, I was trying to decide if the OEM design for the 4th gen Ody was worth it... Then I saw one in the wild. ... OMG... It looks like they installed a straight bar hitch and then hit a high point in the road (really fast) and drove it up into the bumper! ...IMO it looks horrendous with each mount (at the sides) dangling below the bumper, then the bar tapering up to hide, and the receiver tube dangling below... I was under the impression from descriptions that the entirety of the mount hardware (except for the receiver tube) was hidden... Glad to have seen it before I ordered! Instead, I ordered a Curt. I also ordered a class II unit w/ the 1 1/4" reciever (instead of the 2") as the towing capacity (3500/350) of the Class II is the same as the Class III due to the van's limited tow capability (it would be higher on a superior tow vehicle (up to 6000/600), but the Ody is NOT a truck, so no point in wasting clearance on a larger receiver unless all your accessories are 2"), and it saved me some ground clearance (I measured the clearance of the OEM 2" and it was about 3/4" different than my Curt 1 1/4"). After some mountain vacationing last week (and countless rough dirt mountain roads with no problems with clearance even with 200+lbs of hitch mounted hitchhaul on it) I feel mighty good about my choice.... and, I hate to say it, but the Curt looks far far better (IMO) than the OEM.... Of course I still might go back and paint it w/ some spray on bedliner ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I bought a Draw-Tite hitch (from eTrailer) because of the low price. The install was easy without any sort of bumper removal or cutting (temporary fender-liner removal notwithstanding). The OEM unit looks much nicer as the only part that sticks out is the receiver. In retrospect, and as I have stated in another thread, I would have gone with the Honda unit save for the price. The interesting thing about the Draw Tite is the receiver is a little further in (towards the front of the car) compared to other hitches. To me, it seems less prone to scraping (I haven't scraped it, or any bike-rack accessories, yet). My previous Odyssey (2005) had a UHaul hitch and that combo scraped all the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went with the Draw-Tite 76025 on my 2012 LX, and have been happy with it. It's only dragged once (which the Honda Hitch would have as well because of the driveway it was in). I have the Curt wiring harness (which I cut in half, and then ran it through the grommet), and I just installed the 7 Pin connector and brake controller (I am planning on getting a pop up camper). It's really dumb that Honda states any trailer over 1000lbs you need brakes, but they don't have a harness for a brake controller.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just a quick post to say that I recently installed this hitch from E-Trailer as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Honda/Odyssey/2012/76025.html?vehicleid=201249781

It is well designed and well build with 6 anchor points to the frame behind and under the bumper. The rear bumper of the Odyssey is easily removed. You do have to cut a small section of the bumper at the bottom center but its not too bad and looks great. There is not adverse damage to the bumper that will compromise its function. All of the hitch is hidden behind the bumper with only the receiver showing/exposed. Installation took about 1 hour (well, normally without issues). The only issue: I stripped the thread off the face of the frame and had to re-thread them. So for me the overall install time was spread over a week due to the re-threaded required. Be careful when installation the anchor bolts. Hand tight as much as you can, the socket wrench tight the rest of the way. DO NOT USE an impact driver or pressure wrench of any kind! Make sure you get the torque as recommended in the installation guide. As for the wiring harness, you can do it multiple ways but I choose to just wire it and leave it inside the van tucked away in the side. If I need to use it, I just let it hang over the back and close down the rear hatch over it.

Also, for those planning to pull heavy loads (or any loads other than bikes and hitch racks), I recommend installing a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to the forum here, and just bought a 2014 EX-L to replace the Outback as the main road-tripping vehicle. Our Outback has a hitch and I've been looking at the various options for the Odyssey to accept the hitch accessories we already own. I don't care for the look and minimal clearance of the hitch frame below the bumper cover but I'm also not willing to pay a dealer for an OEM unit as we just haul bikes on a hitch rack, and lighter items on a hitch platform.

Draw-Tite actually has a custom looking OEM style that requires only a cutout for the receiver and a bit of material around the muffler. It's a stout Class III 2" hitch, has the higher ground clearance and looks nice as well.

Given this is also my first post I can't provide a link. I found the hitch at eTrailer (item info below). I also don't work for or am associated with this vendor.

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"

Item # 76025

(EDIT)
This is the exact model as twcamc notes above so +1 on that hitch. Sorry I didn't see that before posting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts