Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 EXL. At about 27k miles, I noticed that while the tires were wearing evenly, they were wearing faster than I thought they should for such good tires. These were the original Michelin LX4s from my original purchase.

I took my van to Discount Tire here in Plano, Texas and talked with a manager, and basically said that with the Michelins, I expected much more from them. At 27k, they had <6/32" tread depth. He agreed, but stated that most manufacturers won't back OEM tires. He called Michelin and was told by Michelin that they would back the tires to 70k, the original warranty that you would get if you bought a new set.

But at 6/32", they had "too" much tread on them to replace. They needed to be 4/32 or less, which of course is the fail point for most state inspections, including Texas. So I drove for another 3k, and then at 30k took them back to Discount. Now, they were all at <4/32", and eligible for replacement.

Michelin gave me 50% credit on each tire towards new Michelin LX4's, which worked out to $75/tire. Not bad, huh :)

Anyway, moral of the story is have your tire place check with Michelin about the warranty on your tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good to know but I've got to say, I don't think I'd want those tires again, even if they were almost free.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know but I've got to say, I don't think I'd want those tires again, even if they were almost free.
Trust me, I agree completely. I wanted Continentals, but 2 free tires was hard to pass up. The good news is that the new tires have a 70k warranty. WHEN they don't make it that long, the warranty is now with Discount Tire, and I can apply the warranty rebate to any tire I want :)

And just to add, the new Michelins ARE NOT as loud as the OEM Michelins, not sure why.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think I'll check it out with my local Discount Tire too. Worth a shot for sure. At 35k, my OE tires are just about shot.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
My OEMs were bald around 20K. YOu could not give me another set of Michelins. They were the wors tires I ever had. I had a set on an explore that replaced the Firestones under the recall years back.....I wished I would have kept the stones......the Mich were terrible

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 09 EXL. At about 27k miles, I noticed that while the tires were wearing evenly, they were wearing faster than I thought they should for such good tires. These were the original Michelin LX4s from my original purchase.

I took my van to Discount Tire here in Plano, Texas and talked with a manager, and basically said that with the Michelins, I expected much more from them. At 27k, they had <6/32" tread depth. He agreed, but stated that most manufacturers won't back OEM tires. He called Michelin and was told by Michelin that they would back the tires to 70k, the original warranty that you would get if you bought a new set.

But at 6/32", they had "too" much tread on them to replace. They needed to be 4/32 or less, which of course is the fail point for most state inspections, including Texas. So I drove for another 3k, and then at 30k took them back to Discount. Now, they were all at <4/32", and eligible for replacement.

Michelin gave me 50% credit on each tire towards new Michelin LX4's, which worked out to $75/tire. Not bad, huh :)

Anyway, moral of the story is have your tire place check with Michelin about the warranty on your tires.
Hi there... I live in Frisco and I am curious as to which location you went to and if possible could you let me know that manager whom you talked to... I am having the same exact issue. Would appreciate the help :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there... I live in Frisco and I am curious as to which location you went to and if possible could you let me know that manager whom you talked to... I am having the same exact issue. Would appreciate the help :)
Thanks txaggie... I had talked to discount tires (Lanny Hill) and almost got a new Michelin Energy LX4 since Lanny called Michelin and got 25% discount (i.e. 4 for the price of 3)....

Well everything is 'almost'..... Just before heading out to Discount tires checked the odyclub forum and saw that there were pretty good recommendations for "GoodYear Assurance Comfortthread Touring" across the board. Check the price and saw it was almost the same price as Michelin.... almost passed it up... until drove by Sears to pick something else... I casually checked the Sears auto what their price was on GY and they said its 119.64 per tire + taxes + installation.... quickly called up GoodYear auto services and checked whether they'll do price match and glad I checked...

They did and I got 4 tires... But the good part doesn't end there... There is $80 mail in rebate on top (and $160 if you use good year credit card and yes I did...). So my total price (OTD price = $630 minus $160 mail rebate) was about $470....

The ride seems to be quieter than Michelin ELX4s..... but time alone will tell....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts