Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Odyssey EX - 311,000+ mi
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that this might be an interesting post. Just replaced the plugs for the first time on our 2004 EX. They were actually still firing smoothly. Attached are a couple of pictures of them. For the record, I am not suggesting that folks wait this long, but they lasted 311,000+ miles.
Liquid Automotive lighting Gas Auto part Electric blue
Household hardware Gas Auto part Coil Metal

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,951 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Impressed that the spark plugs held up that well. Are you noticing any difference in how the car drives with new spark plugs?

In every car that I've changed spark plugs on, I've never noticed a difference before and after (with the exception of a Mazda CX-9 that was actively misfiring). But, I've never gone 300K miles on spark plugs, lol...

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,519 Posts
MPG difference?

·
Registered
615 Posts
OMG.

Are those NGK?

300k miles. No way.

Imagine if a VCM motor. lol

So if no VCM, NGK plugs could last for life of motor. ? ? ? Amazing.

Both drivers in our house noticed a difference when we changed our 2008 Ody plugs at 105k miles.
And the plugs removed all looked good and the same, in all cylinders, as expected fwiw. Replaced with identical.

I'll admit, I may have had a psyops, by changing them myself, but my wife ? ? ?
Is the psyops transferable in the bed? Who knows.

The motor seemed to start, rev, accel, better, and drive smoother too.

Still does too at almost 112k miles now. Especially with new fresh oil now in cold temps.
OK, psyop, or not. I'm good, if she's ok. I mean the van. lol o_O

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
impressive... glad they didnt remove the threads in the heads when removing.

most other makes would not have been so merciful.
I was amazed at how easily they all came out. One of the easier jobs on this vehicle that I have done. I also replaced the seals on the coil packs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing! Impressed that the spark plugs held up that well. Are you noticing any difference in how the car drives with new spark plugs?

In every car that I've changed spark plugs on, I've never noticed a difference before and after (with the exception of a Mazda CX-9 that was actively misfiring). But, I've never gone 300K miles on spark plugs, lol...
Not really in the test drive that I did. My daughter has the vehicle at school now. This winter will be a real test - it’s Duluth MN.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,951 Posts
The gap on those plugs is huge!
Our 99 van just hit 310k, changed the plugs at 300k. So then my next plug change will be at 600k. I'm good with that;)
310K on a '99! How many transmissions?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
So, you changed trannies every 100k instead of spark plugs. On most vehicles, that would be operator error. On our gen 2s, it's reality.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
But it does prove one thing though. These Ody workhorses have a lasting record. Its the tranny issues that some of us had/have for 2nd gen in particular. There about like 5-7 members so far have reported over 330k miles and running.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,519 Posts
Just goes to show what a great platform the J series really is. If someone figures out how to mount a Toyota transmission to it, the race is over.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Well, Toyota trannies are made by Aisin, and Honda has shown a willingness to buy transmissions made by independent suppliers, so perhaps????? We can hope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only car I owned that responded to new plugs was a 1971 Alfa GTV. But that was because one plug kept fouling from a bad head gasket. Alfa head gaskets are notoriously troublesome and I had done several changes and no longer had enthusiasm for the task. So I simply yanked the offending plug and cleaned it with a steel brush and re-installed.
As for a Toyota parts, I wished for Toyota build quality on my Alfa with the Italian personality.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Thought that this might be an interesting post. Just replaced the plugs for the first time on our 2004 EX. They were actually still firing smoothly. Attached are a couple of pictures of them. For the record, I am not suggesting that folks wait this long, but they lasted 311,000+ miles.
View attachment 166365 View attachment 166366
Did you buy the Ody new?
What made you decide to replace the spark plugs?
Did you use the same plugs NGK PZFR5F-11 ?
Ever have to adj the valves or replace coil packs?
Thanks,
Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 22 Posts