Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and got my front windows tinted today. The shop I got them tinted at said to match the back window tint it would be illeagal here in TX. He said he would do it anyway if I wanted him to (wink, wink), but asked me not to tell the police where I had it done if I ever got pulled over and asked, no prob of course
. Anyway, when I got the reciept, he filled it out "For offroad use only" again just to cover his own hide. I guess this means I now have to offroad my new Ody to be legal, my wife will be so upset. All I know is that it looks and feels a lot cooler now
!

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES (tow package, cd-changer, subwoofer, splash guards, wheel locks, cargo tray, fog lights (coming soon, will be in Friday 3/15)tinted front windows)
'88 Black 4 Runner SR5 (my offroad convertible)
'78 28' Holiday Rambler Camper ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess you realize there are a couple of good reasons many states forbid tinting as dark as that on the rear windows of the Ody on any regular car or on the front windows of vans. A couple of questions.

How well can you see to drive at night through the darkly tinted windshield? I know I have a lot of trouble seeing to back at night.

Once you are stopped, what does it feel like to look down the barrel of the policeman's gun he has drawn because he cannot see you?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the tint is really that dark, I drove it last night and had no problems whatsoever. And during the day it is a dream without the sun shining in.

I don't think I'm going to have any problems with guns being pointed at me because the windows are a little dark, especially in a minivan. Also, whenever I've gotten pulled over, (3 times in 12 years) I was always taught to have the window rolled down when the officer gets to the car. I think it's rude to make him stand there while you try and get your window rolled down. After talking to the guy at the shop that tinted them, and looking at his vehicle and others in the parking lot with the same tint, I'm not worried about it. I specifically asked him about the darker tint, and he said he has been pulled over before, with no problems. I have known him for years so I trust what he has to say. Also, if I felt for some reason it was dangerous or put my family at risk I wouldn't have had it done.

Ultimately it will come down to whether my wife likes/dislikes it, and if she feels has enough visibility. If she doesn't want it on, or feels the least uncomfortable, I'll peel it off in a second.

If I were you and lived where the cops were that gun happy (possibly high crime rate?), I'd move as soon as I could.

As a footnote, I just returned from registering my 4Runner. I drove the Ody to the reg office. The same building houses the county and city offices, and the local police station. I parked next to a police car in the parking lot, and when I came out there was a cop checking out my Ody! I was a little nervous, but all he said to me was "Nice Van."
I'm not worried at all now.

Nak

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES (tow package, cd-changer, subwoofer, splash guards, wheel locks, cargo tray, fog lights (coming soon, will be in Friday 3/15)tinted front windows)
'88 Black 4 Runner SR5 (my offroad convertible)
'78 28' Holiday Rambler Camper

[This message has been edited by The Nak (edited 03-13-2002).]

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It all depends on the cop, if they are having a bad day, then they will write up the tinted window. My last two cars, i had all windows tinted without any problems, but about 15 years ago, a CHiP pulled me over for speeding and wrote me a fix it ticket for tinted front windows and i had a fog lights mounted in the rear and she wrote me up for having fog lights in rear. When i went to CHiP office to show i had taken the window tint off and asked what was wrong with having fog lights mounted in the rear, the guy said, you got me, as long as i didn't have them on when i was driving i can have anything mounted on the rear of the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts