Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2016 Odyssey EXL with 96k miles on it, no problems to date (other than the well documented front brake rotor problems). It's due for an oil change, and I'm wondering if I should have the timing belt, water pump, et al, changed out at the same time? I asked the dealer when the belt was due to be replaced and they said at 100k miles, however I've found several sites that indicate the Honda recommended interval is at 105k miles. Which is correct?

I fully understand that the difference in miles is insignificant, but the reason I'm asking is I have the Honda 140k miles/6 years extended warranty on the vehicle and as long as I'm within the recommended Honda service interval for replacing the timing belt it should be covered under the warranty. If it's 105k miles then I can wait one more oil change to have it done with no significant financial risk (although it would be a PITA if it broke before then).

So, what say you? Is it 100k miles or 105k miles?

Thx, Jerry

·
Registered
158 Posts
You are operating with a 9k mile OCI? Surprised to hear extended warranty covers maintenance items.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Unless you bought the warranty AND MAINTENANCE package the timing belt and associated components is not "covered". Has the package you bought be covering oil changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, etc.? If not you do not have the maintenance included, only repair. The timing belt is not a "repair".

As for exact mileage, the maintenance minder will trip the timing belt code at the oil change nearest to 105K. So you may see it as early as 100K or as late as 110K as a general ballpark. It's not a super sensitive mileage item, just somewhere near 105K miles.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you bought the warranty AND MAINTENANCE package the timing belt and associated components is not "covered". Has the package you bought be covering oil changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, etc.? If not you do not have the maintenance included, only repair. The timing belt is not a "repair".

As for exact mileage, the maintenance minder will trip the timing belt code at the oil change nearest to 105K. So you may see it as early as 100K or as late as 110K as a general ballpark. It's not a super sensitive mileage item, just somewhere near 105K miles.
I think you both misunderstood my statements. My extended warranty doesn’t cover maintenance items (and I fully understand that includes the timing belt replacement, including labor). However, if the timing belt fails and damages the motor before the Honda recommended maintenance interval, the repairs to the motor should be covered under the extended warranty (which covers the power train). So my financial liability if the belt breaks and totals the motor would be limited to the cost of replacing the timing belt, water pump, etc.

So am I correct in understanding that the recommended service interval is 105k miles?

Thx, Jerry

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think you both misunderstood my statements. My extended warranty doesn’t cover maintenance items (and I fully understand that includes the timing belt replacement, including labor). However, if the timing belt fails and damages the motor before the Honda recommended maintenance interval, the repairs to the motor should be covered under the extended warranty (which covers the power train). So my financial liability if the belt breaks and totals the motor would be limited to the cost of replacing the timing belt, water pump, etc.

So am I correct in understanding that the recommended service interval is 105k miles?

Thx, Jerry
Correct. If it makes you feel better to do it before 105K just to be sure they couldn't decline a warranty repair then do that. As I stated, the maintenance minder will trigger the code in conjunction with the oil change nearest to 105K, so it may call for it a little before or a little after the actual 105K on the odo. As for your liability if the belt breaks prior to 105K I don't think you have to pay anything beyond your deductible. If it fails at 110K and you failed to change it then obviously on you. Personally I am a big fan of cutting costs on maintenance when it makes sense, but in your case I would do dealer only for this one to make sure you have no fight if a major issue arises after the job.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am of the thought of doing it no sooner than 105k. Stuff happens and you’d hate to spend $1k on service and 3 months later total the car for some reason. I do the service items when recommended and not earlier

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would not rely on MM...who knows if or how many times it has been reset. Now that I understand your question, I would get it replaced before 105k miles or 7 years, which ever comes first. If you do want to follow MM, make sure you get approval in writing from your underwriter.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is so true. In 2010, I had just done a ton of work on my wife’s 1999 RX300...struts, rotors, timing belt kit, etc. While legally parked during lunch with her friend, a 95 yo man got confused and hit the RX doing 45-50 mph. His insurance totaled it and gave me top dollar but I certainly wish I had waited on those maintenance items as none were required at the time. How no one got killed was beyond imagination. Old man was fine but did not remember anything.

I am of the thought of doing it no sooner than 105k. Stuff happens and you’d hate to spend $1k on service and 3 months later total the car for some reason. I do the service items when recommended and not earlier

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
The Maintenance Minder will set the code for the timing belt service after the the 14th oil change. It is based on the old 7500 mile interval. So the 30k stuff code shows up at the 4th oil change. Now that does get "off" with the oil life algorithm, but not enough to make a difference. You really have to neglect the timing belt service for it to break. Like waiting to over 140k. In fact, I don't remember any OEM belt breakage reported here. Crappy or fake replacement belts, replaced belts without replacing the tensioner, those are reported here. The truth is, the timing belt issues have mostly been a failing tensioner. That will make noise before it goes.

Have you been using the oil life monitor? If so, at what miles does it tend to get to 15%? If you change your oil early and reset the MM, you will never see the codes for other maintenance items. If you have been doing whatever the service writer tells you, I hope he talked you into a few trans fluid replacements...

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I agree with egads. The official number for Honda is 105K but as mentioned, it will pop up with the closest corresponding oil change so it will be in that neighborhood when the maintenance light comes on for timing belt interval. There's no reason to do it before the maintenance minder comes on for it unless you're over 7 years old. 105K is not some kind of "drop dead" mileage where it fails when you hit that. It's a 2016 so it's only 4 years old. Would I wait until 140K? Probably not. Is it going to fail if you go one mile over 105K? No. That's just the mileage that Honda engineers decided starts increasing risk of failure. Just put it in your budget to get it done around that time or shortly thereafter. You don't need to use the dealer but make sure you use a shop that uses either OE Honda parts or Aisin kit parts only. No eBay or Amazon kits, no Gates, Dayco or other brand aftermarket junk parts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I was mostly looking for confirmation of the 105k number as the dealer I purchased it from has told me it was "100k". FWIW I've had the same dealer perform all the service to date so there's no issues if I were to use the extended warranty to repair something significant - like the motor in the case of a "broken belt". Since my Odyssey is now due for an oil change at 96k miles, I'll have the belt, et al changed out at one of the two local Honda dealers at the next oil change at ~105k miles.

I appreciate all the information and advice from everyone, this is a great forum!

Thx, Jerry

Reactions: skelsall

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Saying 100k is just rounding. I don't think they were "lying" or being dishonest. Timing belt should be done around the 100k mark.105 to be precise.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Saying 100k is just rounding. I don't think they were "lying" or being dishonest. Timing belt should be done around the 100k mark.105 to be precise.
Does Honda actually put that number in writing anywhere? I pulled up the maint. schedules for a 2020 Ody, and everything is relative, as far as I can see.

The Maintenance Minder will set the code for the timing belt service after the the 14th oil change.
The 14th time it has "announced" a change is due, or the next one after 13 reminder resets? Or something else? If I change at shorter times and reset, will it tell me to change the belt at, say, 75k miles?

I appreciate your insight, guys. My frustration is with Honda playing the game and not making info readily available...info stored in my vehicle.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I don't believe they put it in writing anymore. It used to be in the owners manual on older models. They've dumbed it down a lot because people never read their owners manuals anyway. The 105k is inferred from the older models since the newer models use the same timing belt and associated parts. I haven't been under the hood of the 2018 and newer models so not sure they're exactly the same as the 2017 and older but don't see any reason they'd change the interval regardless.

·
Registered
378 Posts
They've dumbed it down a lot because people never read their owners manuals anyway.
Absolutely. And I resent being treated like an idiot. It's fine to have the idiot reminder system for people who can't be bothered reading. As a supplement/alternative. My sense is that in addition to any other reason, the "rely on the reminder" is intended to encourage people to rely on Honda service departments.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
Here's a page from a 2004 Odyssey manual:

Nothing has changed except the trans service interval. That is now officially every 30k for models in this subform. (2018+ models may be different) This engine has been used by Honda in many vehicles since being introduced in a V-6 Accord. They have messed around with the valve timing and cylinder management, but nothing else really.

Why is it so hard for folks to follow the Maintenance Minder? Just because your grandpapa told you to change the oil every 3000 miles does not make it true, especially in 2020. There is no reason to toss (well recycle I guess) perfectly good oil just because it makes you feel better. These engines will start leaking oil after 200k but barely burn it.

And while I'm ranting, please leave the initial oil fill in there until the oil life reaches 15% at least. 15% by the way, is just the number to start thinking about scheduling service. You could go all the way to 0%. I won't matter.

If anyone wants to lavish extra on any Honda, change the trans fluid more often. Every other oil change is not too often.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I do my oil changes at the 15% just to get rid of the annoying light. I sent in an oil analysis a few years ago and was told by Blackstone I could go longer on the oil if I wanted to. I use full synthetic oil, though. Some may not. I won't say the brand as I don't want to start down that rabbit hole and make this about oil. On my 08 it usually comes out to around 6500-7000 miles when I change it at 10-15% but that may vary based on how you drive your vehicle. The maintenance minder knows. My bigger concern is the filter. Honda actually says to change the filter every other oil change but I've seen some filters fail internally before one interval, let alone two. I've always used a Honda filter (good or bad I'm not looking to discuss) and I've not cut the Honda filter apart to look but I just feel better replacing it.

I do a trans fluid change (1x drain and fill) every other oil change.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Why is it so hard for folks to follow the Maintenance Minder?
Who said it was hard? It's a system designed for idiots and lemmings. I don't know why they won't share the actual algorithms. It's convenient enough for the ones who let a dealer or shop do the work.

For me, it's a planning/scheduling thing, because I do virtually all my own work. It may be difficult for those with year round temperate climates to conceive of, but winters in the snow belt can be unpleasant times to be doing timing belt changes, coolant replacement, etc. I will even accelerate a brake job that I think could possibly be needed before April. Because I like doing the work, if I can do it on a sunny day with pleasant temps, out on my driveway.

You focus on oil changes. That's not even what I'm frustrated about. Actually, it's everything else.

I

1 - 20 of 40 Posts