Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm on my 10th Honda (not including the 10 I bought for a corp fleet once) and Mr Clark is a master mechanic who flys jets. I think you could trust us. We have no reason to try and fool you.
Don't know why you are so closely identifying with Honda that my complaints against the company seem to be taken personally by you. I have never doubted that you or John or really, anyone else, is giving anything but your considered opinion and best advice. But you ain't Honda, who should be addressing it in a better fashion than "Trust our absolutely flawless maintenance reminder system." Speaking of flying, have you heard of MCAS? I'll bet Boeing put a lot more development hours into MCAS than Honda put into the maintenance reminder system. Just sayin'.

But that's me. I like to have knowledge shared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 105K number stems from a California requirement that emission items are warranted for 105K miles. If they recommended mileage below that it would have to be covered under warranty. So, the number was modified to avoid the warranty liability. In other jurisdictions the number is significantly less.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,145 Posts
The 105K number stems from a California requirement that emission items are warranted for 105K miles.
Can you post a source for that? CA emissions warranties are not that long unless the vehicle is PZEV rated.

-Charlie

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would wait for the next oil change. Timing belts will usually last well over the 105k mile interval. I would be more concerned with the water pump going bad. If that goes bad there is a good chance it will take the belt with it. But if you stick to the Honda recommended interval you should be fine.

·
Registered
14,387 Posts
Actually the water pumps do not go bad. Some dealers don't even change them. What does go bad is the tensioner. It must be replaced with that service. (although the water pump usually gets changed as well. That is why the coolant gets replaced then instead of the 120k the schedule calls for.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Seriously, WP’s do not go bad? Guess I must be cursed.

Actually the water pumps do not go bad. Some dealers don't even change them. What does go bad is the tensioner. It must be replaced with that service. (although the water pump usually gets changed as well. That is why the coolant gets replaced then instead of the 120k the schedule calls for.

·
Registered
14,387 Posts
Well, they should only be replaced with OEM or an Aisin one. If your original failed I think it was a one off. I might also have misspoke, because there used to be some dealers that didn't change them. But they always get changed now.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well, they should only be replaced with OEM or an Aisin one. If your original failed I think it was a one off. I might also have misspoke, because there used to be some dealers that didn't change them. But they always get changed now.
I have not seen a Honda water pump leak or go bad since the 80's.

so its rare for sure, since the cost is negligible, while youre in there either the first or second timing belt service, change it out.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,145 Posts
I have not seen a Honda water pump leak or go bad since the 80's.
Aisin water pumps (also used on Toyotas) usually last past the second timing belt change. They are generally 200k+ mile parts. I still replace them at every belt change anyway, along with the thermostat.

-Charlie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jerry:

I have a 2014 Odyssey EXL and we replaced the timing belt ourselves at around 105,000 when the maintenance minder gave us the code. The original timing belt was still like new. But what I noticed was that the timing belt tensioner was already bad. It showed oil leak and when we removed it, it did not push the little rod. I assume if we continued driving the van, we could have damaged the engine. My recommendation is that you follow the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had asked a dealership near me last year about their timing belt package, and they also said they don't include a water pump in the service, as they found that the pump will easily last until the next 105,000 service. Every other dealer I contacted did include the water pump, however.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had asked a dealership near me last year about their timing belt package, and they also said they don't include a water pump in the service, as they found that the pump will easily last until the next 105,000 service. Every other dealer I contacted did include the water pump, however.
When you are installing a new timing belt, all the labor cost to open the front end has been included. The cost of replacing a water pump is just the cost of the pump and may be labor cost of undo and redo the pump mounting bolts. It is a no-brainer.
My be the dealer wants to charge you in the future for changing the water pump.

·
Registered
14,387 Posts
Replacing the pump does involve the coolant. Only real Honda long life coolant should be used to replace.
(because you will never get all the existing out)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts