Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

One thing shown in the pamphlet given to me by Clear Lake Honda on delivery of my new LX was that they will add an oil additive called Krex Graphite during each oil change.

I'm not sure I'm too happy about this. I've done some web research and haven't found much concerning graphite additives. There's lot's out there about teflon additives and there's no way I'd put them in my engine.

Does anyone have any experience with this Krex graphite, or any other graphite oil additive? I've appreciate any input.

Thanks & Drive Safe,

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I'm assuming they add it at extra cost to you. Don't let them. Modern oil doesn't need additives. These motors run really tight tolerances and I would think anything suspended in the oil would be bad.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree, change your oil and filter regularly and your engine will last a long time. Mixing dino oil with synthetic oil is better than adding any type of oil additive. Dino oil number one enemy is heat, synthetic oil will help reduce viscosity breakdown at higher temperature.

-Harry

·
Registered
75 Posts
you probably already found these in your search and I didn't see anything specific in them on Graphite but here's a couple links.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/snakeoil.html

http://amsoilrs.hypermart.net/sections/test/add_main.html

several years back I worked at a company that had engine oil samples sent for analysis at each change. I must have tried over a half dozen addatives in one of the company trucks and there was never any reduction in wear metals in the oil. I can't comment on gas milage since as a company truck the throttle only had two postitons, off and full.
Several of the companies sent reps out to do their side show tricks for us to sell us on their products and most all of them had the sales pitch of "All the other pruducts are a joke... but ours is for real"

-Trevor

·
Registered
192 Posts
Stay away from ANY additive to your oil. Modern oils, whether dino or sythnetic, do not need additives... if they did, then the manufacturer would have put them in. Anything suspended in oil is bad... just look at the Slick 50 mess. It doesn't matter if someone tells you it is "lubricating" or a "slippery" material. ANY material in an engine can build up or clog oil passages. Zinc is another hyped additive that has not been proven except in short-term race environments (even there, it is not entirely accepted). However, a few manufacturers add zinc to their products for marketing reasons. Once again, it does NOT matter that zinc acts as a lubricant during thermal break down... it is still a metal being suspended in oil and can clog tight-tolerance engines.

There is also an issue with the oil filter -- which is supposed to REMOVE suspended items! Some may say these particles are too small for the filter to catch (and they may be right), but any material going through oil filter medium can eventually build up. This would cause lower oil pressure. This would especially be true with "high end" or premium filters that brag about smaller and smaller microns being filtered.

·
Registered
585 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
Anything suspended in oil is bad... just look at the Slick 50 mess.</font>
??

What is the 'slick 50' mess...I'm a newbie regarding oil. I remember the 'put it in before your engine does something to heat you up.' commercials..I take it that it caused problems? Was it taken off the market? Lawsuits? Hmmm, time to go type 'slick 50 problems' into google...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Slick 50 was an oil additive that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Everyone HAD to put it in their engines. It provided an extra level of lubrication that did everything from improved gas mileage to restored worn parts.

Now they have determined that the stuff has actually CAUSED engine damage. There is a class-action lawsuit (maybe it's settled by now?) and now everyone is running from the stuff. It is the same story with Prolong... another engine additive that was magical. Maybe to the company's pocket book!

My brother swore by the stuff (Slick 50) and used it religiously... I never used it and told him he was full of crap. He restores cars and was on a racing team, so he should've known better. Well, one of his babies was up for an engine overhaul. When he tore it down, it was an absolute mess... gunk everywhere from his magical oil additive. He thinks now that is why he had to overhaul it. Poor boy! Some of us have to learn the hard way.

Until they come up with a product that LUBRICATES better than oil, stay clear. Every product now uses suspension technology (particles "floating" in oil) to provide "better" lubrication. Well, engines disagree and don't seem to like things floating in the oil. And those poor oil filters are so confused... maybe they should come up with a "smart" filter. It would know which free-floating particles to zap and which one's to let go.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
??

What is the 'slick 50' mess...I'm a newbie regarding oil. I remember the 'put it in before your engine does something to heat you up.' commercials..I take it that it caused problems? Was it taken off the market? Lawsuits? Hmmm, time to go type 'slick 50 problems' into google...

</font>
Slick 50 is a teflon based oil additive. There is lot's of info out there on the effectiveness of teflon based oil additives and none of it is good. The first thing I learned was that the company that "invented" teflon is absolutely against it's use as an oil additive. This is not what the material was designed for and it will not work in an internal combustion engine the way it's supporters claim.

Basically, that they claim is that the teflon will bond to the moving parts, creating an area of lowered friction which is good for piston rings, cylinder bores, and main and rod bearings. Whether or not this is true is debatable. What has been found is that the teflon particles will adhere to other internal surfaces of the engine, like "oil passages!!" The end result is that the material builds up until it actually cloggs these passages and the engine self destructs from a lack of lubrication.

I've haven't found anything significant for or against a graphite additive (and I've done a LOT of looking) but I tend to agree with you folks. If they insist on adding the Krex Graphite, they're not doing the oil change.

Thanks for the input,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
The scary thing about them wanting to add the Krex graphite is how to stop them from it. They guy you give your keys to may say they won't put it in, but does that information get transmitted to the guy changing oil in one car after another. I would be afraid that he would do the exact same thing to my car that he did to the 10 before it and the 10 after it.

I could be wrong, but I did end up with a dealer sticker on my Ody when I had been assured twice I would not get one. I think it is a similar situation. The guy that puts the stickers on does it on every vehicle that comes through.

Travis

------------------
2001 MB EX, Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Wheel Locks, Pioneer Speakers

·
Registered
318 Posts
For your information, you do not have to go back to the dealer for an engine oil & filter change.

You can choose which ever shops you are confident in that are using quality products.

Just keep all those invoices to protect your warranty and to show proof that the service was performed as required.

Had my 2000 EX since March 2000 and I never got the oil change at the dealer because I do not have the time to loose half a day for an oil change. I have it done at Quick Lube Service type operation and I supply my own oil filter.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by travis:
The scary thing about them wanting to add the Krex graphite is how to stop them from it. They guy you give your keys to may say they won't put it in, but does that information get transmitted to the guy changing oil in one car after another. I would be afraid that he would do the exact same thing to my car that he did to the 10 before it and the 10 after it.

I could be wrong, but I did end up with a dealer sticker on my Ody when I had been assured twice I would not get one. I think it is a similar situation. The guy that puts the stickers on does it on every vehicle that comes through.

Travis

</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts