Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question last month re: a main seal oil drip. It is still a small drip, so I am not doing anything, at this time.
I am the original owner and all service has been performed by the dealer.
First question, what type of oil should I be buying to replace whatever leaks out.
Also, what about additives. There is controversy on other auto forums about them. I have read that people have had success with Lucas or other additives, in getting the seals to swell and stopping the leak. Others have said that the additives ruined their engine.
Anyone have any experience with additives?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
You should add the same oil as you filled at the last change.

As for additives, they are either useless or damaging. Engine oil contains all the additives that an engine needs. Keep adding oil until the leak becomes intolerable, then have the seal replaced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree you should stay away from oil additives, but you might consider using a high mileage oil that contains seal conditioners that may help reduce the leak. This method will take some time to become effective. I started using Mobile Super HM 5W30 in my 97 Accord hoping it might help reduce the rear main seal leak. So far after 5 months & 4K miles since the oil change, I believe it has helped to slow the leak, but it hasn't completely eliminated it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments re: additives. With respect to my first question, the dealer took care of all of the oil changes and I have no idea what was put in.
I'm trying to determine what oil that I should buy.
I'm in hot central Florida.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If your Honda dealer changes the oil, it's probably Honda branded oil that's going in; I believe 5W30 is recommended for your 99 model. I live in Arizona and have used Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 in my 2004 Odyssey ever since it was brand new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts