Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my oil changed at a place I normally go to. Was sitting in the car watching the guy change the oil and saw that he was putting the wrong grade oil in the engine. DUH!
:confused:

I was getting Mobil 1 synthetic put in, but he started putting 5W-30 in the crankcase instead of the 5W-20. I know, not a huge difference, but I stopped him by the time he had the 3rd quart in the crankcase and told him to drain it and redo it with 5W-20 as recommended.

He did drain it and refilled it, but come on...the cap says 5W-20 right on it! He said that he looked at his computer info and went with that. Sounds like they have some incorrect info and told him so. He was apologetic and such, but I'll have to keep an eye on them next time.

:duh: :duh: :duh:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Hardly a doofus. :rolleyes:
You get what you pay for I suppose. Go to quick lube joints and most likely a minimum wage kid with other things on his/her mind.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Most people have horror stories with these places. Smart kids have other options, these places usually get maroons. Typically the oil filter and plug are way overtightened, and sometimes oil is over/under filled, etc. You'd think it was tough to screw it up....:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
Well, I use 5W-30 all the time in my Accord and my Oddy. Both have 5W-20 written right on the oil cap. Read up on the 5W20 v/s 5W-30 debate on here. Its just fine to use 5W-30 oil in our vans especially if you're going synthetic. I use 5W-30 full synthetic on all my cars. :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I use:
- Synthetic 5W30 in WINTER
- Standard 10W30 in SUMMER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts