------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, well, I noticed that too. Glad to know it wasn't just me.

He's got an interesting site overall, though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
At his rate of usage, the Accord guy is changing his oil around every three months. I have always thought time was the more important thing than mileage, unless the mileage was VERY high. Since I do not drive high miles, I have always used time as a guage, forget mileage. Sometimes I have changed oil with as few as 1500-2000 miles on my vehicle. The stuff I drained out was pretty nasty, even though it had few miles on it. I'm sure it had more than a fair share of harmful crap in it. I always cringe when someone who drives short trips and accumulates little mileage tells me they change oil every 5-6K miles. Sometimes that is a whole YEAR or more! Not on my watch!!!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I did a change at 3750, 7500 and will now go 6 months or 7500 miles from here out. I usually qualify for the normal maintenance schedule requirements, and I'm using Mobil1 5W-30. I used to do my own changes every 3K on previous cars, but I don't forsee us keeping our cars past 7 years or 100k miles, so I'm not going to be religious about 3k changes anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There was a review of the Mercedes C230 in the paper today (Cincinnati Enquirer - Alan Vonderhaar) and he mentioned that it had a light on the dash to indicate when an oil change was needed. It would come on between 10,000 - 20,000 miles! This is a supercharged 4 cylinder engine. It did not say if it was initially filled with synthetic or not. I was amazed that 10,000 was the soonest it would come on.

John

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BMW is doing the same thing, too. The computer keeps track of how you drive and under what conditions, and calculates the appropriate oil change interval dynamically. When the paramaters all come together, it lights up the dash.

If you're easy on the pedal and do a lot of steady highway driving, you're likely go to many miles between changes. If you rabbit from light to light and do a lot of 2-10 mile trips in extreme weather conditions (cold or hot), you'll see far, far fewer miles between changes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
One of the magazines did a long term test of a Porsche of some sort and they did not see that little light come on until around something like 18K miles. Wow, even if it was started, run at highway speeds and never shut off for 18K, that would be hard to believe in.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
188 Posts
The dealer wants me to change the oil every 3,000 miles. They use Castrol 5-30. I am used to getting the oil changed every 3,000 miles, but, if I can go more without voiding the warranty, I would do it. I drove the first 7,000 miles with the original oil that came with the car but now it seems to be 3,000 intervals. Is this just a dealer thing or can I go beyond 3,000 without screwing up the warranty?

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors, Honda Cargo Tray

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the dealer is suggesting 3K miles, it's because he wants you to spend maybe twice as much with him as you need to.

FWIW, my 92 Civic has had the oil changed every 3K miles--at my request, no one else's--and it's responded like a champ. Cheap insurance. One can tell with the valve cover off and looking at the camshaft that those oil changes have paid off. As I like to keep cars AND I like them not to let me down, this effort has been well worth it.

That being said: engines are better now, and so is oil. I plan on keeping the Ody a long time, but I have faith that 5K oil changes are perfectly fine overall except for those who meet virtually all the standards for operating under severe conditions.

It's up to you. Decently frequent oil changes, if you have any doubts whatsoever, are cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Adam1991

Thanks for the input. I will read the warranty and the owners manual to see what the perameters are. In the "old days", we changed our oil every 3,000 miles using straight 30 wt. With improved engines and motor oils, the 5,000 miles you mentioned may be better.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors, Honda Cargo Tray

·
Registered
205 Posts
Alot of folks change their oil every 3,000 miles and report great longevity from their vehicles etc. How many people have actually run a vehicle where they have only changed the oil every 10,000 miles for example (while still regularly checking the level and topping up as necessary) and seen their vehicles fail prematurely as a result?

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that the whole 3,000 mile oil change philosophy has been anything other than a huge marketing success by service departments, oil companies and quickie oil changing shops...

If Porsche and BMW have enough confidence in their automated reminder systems and those systems are telling owners not to change their oil for 10,000 miles+ (granted this would be on newer engines), it makes you wonder...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yeah, ya hafta think that in these new motors, with fuel injection, that the contaminants build up at a slower rate. In the old days, with carbs and looser engine tolerances, you had a lot more contamination reaching the crankcase a lot faster. That is not to say that it is not a problem anymore, but it must be diminished by quite a factor. For those of us who are type-A, it is quite a leap to go to much longer intervals, especially if we do our own work and recycle faithfully, which I do. I've seen a lot of folks who seem not to take much care of a vehicle, at all, go to some pretty high miles before they are forced to "walk". For me, I NEVER want to "walk", unless it is my idea........

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I've had my 2001 for 11 months and I changed the oil at 5K, 9K and 10.8K ... I wanted to go with Mobil 1 5W-30 before our Thanksgiving trip. I'll be using Mobil 1 from
now on and at 5K intervals. Sorta split the difference.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sounds like a safe and sane plan, Jim.

Jerry O.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Sounds like a safe and sane plan, Jim.

Jerry O.
</font>
That's what I did with my '90 Isuzu Pickup. I put 160K miles on it before someone t-boned me.

I was just about to repaint it too.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
75 Posts
I changed the oil in my old accord every 5000-7500 miles. It now has 150,000 miles on it and is still running great (my father-in-law has it now). Seems to me I recall there being a sticker somewhere on the engine that said 7500 miles.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
Alot of folks change their oil every 3,000 miles and report great longevity from their vehicles etc. How many people have actually run a vehicle where they have only changed the oil every 10,000 miles for example (while still regularly checking the level and topping up as necessary) and seen their vehicles fail prematurely as a result?

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that the whole 3,000 mile oil change philosophy has been anything other than a huge marketing success by service departments, oil companies and quickie oil changing shops...

If Porsche and BMW have enough confidence in their automated reminder systems and those systems are telling owners not to change their oil for 10,000 miles+ (granted this would be on newer engines), it makes you wonder...

</font>

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oil performs TWO important tasks. It lubricates, and it CLEANS. Modern oil lubrication abilities far exceed those of older oils. My Royal Purple rep tells me that the lubricates as well after 20K miles as it does out of the bottle. "Just change the filter every 7500 miles and top up". However, no one has written a credible assessment of detergents holding up after the normal change time. This is why you change oil in three months, even if 3k miles have not past.

In my 92 Accord which I traded for the Odyssey I changed oil between 3-5k without fail, and used synthetic probably half the time. When my mechanic adjusted the valves at 70K or so, he told me to change the oil more regularly because there was covered caking on all the valve adjusters and he had trouble breaking them loose. To me this was a sign of detergent depletion, because my oil never had ran beyond 5k miles.

Someone said it and I concur, it could be marketing hype, but it is cheap insurance. If ever the head need to be disassembled, whether I do it myself or have it done, it will be nice to know that there will be no caking and no sludge in this Ody and parts will look factory fresh even after 80K or more miles. I am using 5-20 Royal Purple and will change it every 4-5K miles. I will change the oil filter at 500 miles and top up with high quality dino 5-20. I will change at 3500 to dino 5-20 and from 7K on it will be RP 5-20 and nothing else.

Tranny fluid will be changed at 2-3x required intervals for the same reason. Trannies are probably the weakest link. Even three quarts of Honda atf can't break the bank once a year.

My plan is to get 10 years out of this car or more, fkuid changes are cheap insurance, which may be unnecessary, but why debate it?

John

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi All, I have just changed my breakin oil and filter at 4800 miles. I refilled dino Penzoil 5w - 20 as suggested for the first oil change. I was quite familiar with the routine which I did on my '99 EX. I switch the tires at the same time, makes changing the filter very easy.
Question, What oil is Royal Purple? I am still trying to find a good synthetic 5W 20.
Fomoco is making a simi synthetic that I will consider if nothing else like a Moble 1
5W- 20 shows up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What is fomoco?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A. B. Hair:
Hi All, I have just changed my breakin oil and filter at 4800 miles. I refilled dino Penzoil 5w - 20 as suggested for the first oil change. I was quite familiar with the routine which I did on my '99 EX. I switch the tires at the same time, makes changing the filter very easy.
Question, What oil is Royal Purple? I am still trying to find a good synthetic 5W 20.
Fomoco is making a simi synthetic that I will consider if nothing else like a Moble 1
5W- 20 shows up.
</font>

------------------
Ron - Ody EX L Navi 2002, silver with fog, subwoofer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts