Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and understand both sides of the argument about when and how often to do an oil change. However I have never owned an Ody till now and wonder what you all think. Town driving 98% of the month with trips less then 5 miles round trip a day. Is a 2001 Ody still in the realm of vehicles that need it changed every 3 months...or can I get away with 5 months, 6,8,yearly etc. I realize shorter trips are harder but I knew the Ody was superior in some aspects and wanted to know if this was one of them. Let me know and Thanks in advance!

Bill

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Ody engines do run cleanly and don't contaminate the oil with much combustion byproducts.

The oil change interval is determined in part by the oil itself. At the low end of the scale is the no-name natural while at the high end is the full synthetic. The additives vary widely between the two. It's those that determine oil life. The oil doesn't wear out - the additives get used up.

That said, your 5 miles round trip means just 2.5 miles each way. That's barely enough to warm up the engine and certainly not enough to vaporize any condensation. I would definitely change a natural oil after 3 months in this situation. At least, check the dipstick for signs of water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts