Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, when I change my oil & filter I always fill up the new oil filter with oil prior to screwing it on. I think it minimizes the few micro-seconds of "no oil flowing yet" ...John L '01 Ody LX

·
Registered
564 Posts
Good idea. I'm still wondering why cars don't have a pre-pressurizing systems. Seems simple enough to have a little electric pump to push the oil up before starting. Think of the wear it would save on those cold mornings when the oil doesn't really want to get up and go.

- Darell

·
Registered
564 Posts
Adam -

Yup, that would be what I'm talking about. If truly 95% of wear occurs during the first 10 seconds after start, we should see million mile engines if they have pre-lubers. I know of no vehicle that comes with these, however. Too much extra weight? Too expensive? I wonder.

-d

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I just did my second oil change. 10 minutes flat!

A filter wrench is a must for any Ody DIYer.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
There's more of this in another thread discussed some time ago. I think it's under "Jim's First Oil Change".

</font>

Thanks Rob. Some good info down there that I missed (and here I thought I'd read ALL The posts here).

I need to add one more item for those of you interested in a "clean" oil change. Fumoto valve. http://www.fumotovalve.com/ Ever used one? If you get the one with the nipple attachment (for $2 more) you just slip a vinyl tube on there, and aim the tube into your container. NO spills. It is so slick, I get all giggly just thinking about it!

I have them on all my cars, and wouldn't be wthout one. No wrench needed to drain. Now, if they could just come up with a cleaner way of changing that filter, we'd be set.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me." - Steve Marin
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 V70 T5 - White w/ graphite leather

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
Ody DIYer.
</font>
Jim -

Would that be ODIYER? Or does that sound too much like OD-er?

- Darell

·
Registered
564 Posts
Whoa! Good catch. Strange that it then tells you you may need an adapter right after it tells you they won't fit. I wouldn't trust the site though. They were also wrong on my Volvo fitment (and that engine has been out for six years!). I will certainly email them when my van arrives to find out what's up. Crawling under and looking will probably tell me everything I Need to know. That would be depressing if I couldn't get a Fumoto for the new Van. Dang.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts