Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is off percent but around what mileage do you have your oil changed in the 2011? Is the oil percent off of the miles or is the van testing the oil breakdown?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maintenance Minder tells you when it is time to change. Mileage varies based on how the van is driven and the type of driving conditions.

Currently my wife has 3815 miles on the 11' and the remaining oil life indicated is 60%. Should be good for at least 8K miles between changes. The 06' went about 7K between and if I remember correctly the 02' was about a 5.5K interval.

JD

·
Banned
728 Posts
There is another thread on this. It is true that the maintenance minder tells you when you need to change your oil, but I'm not sure what it is based on. We have had our van 5 months and have 9,000 kms on it (5,400). Our % life is at 10%. There are a couple of people who have posted they have similar mileage and they have 60% oil life left. We drive mostly in the city, don't have hot extremes here (as compared to Texas, Arizona, southern CA, etc.), and although we have extremely cold winters, we got our van in March after all of that was over.On a scale of 1 - 10 (with 10 being the most aggressive driver), I'd say I'm about a 4.

In any event, you'll know when you need to change the oil when the maintenance system tells you. For the first oil change, the owners manual warns against changing the oil prematurely as there is oil in the engine specific for break in purposes. After the first oil change it shouldn't matter how often you change it as long as you don't go past when the maintenance system says you should change it.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
It is true that the maintenance minder tells you when you need to change your oil, but I'm not sure what it is based on.
As jdskycaster indicated, the MM calculates when to change the oil based on how the van is driven, and your driving conditions. From the 2011 manual: Based on the engine operating conditions and accumulated engine revolutions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining engine oil life and displays it as a percentage.

The van is not testing the oil in any way. If you reset the MM, and change the oil using dirty recycled oil, the computer isn't going to know the difference. The computer will use a mathmetical algorythm to calcuate when to change the oil again.

·
Banned
728 Posts
As jdskycaster indicated, the MM calculates when to change the oil based on how the van is driven, and your driving conditions. From the 2011 manual: Based on the engine operating conditions and accumulated engine revolutions, the onboard computer in your vehicle calculates the remaining engine oil life and displays it as a percentage.

The van is not testing the oil in any way. If you reset the MM, and change the oil using dirty recycled oil, the computer isn't going to know the difference. The computer will use a mathmetical algorythm to calcuate when to change the oil again.
Thanks. My point was I can't imagine someone subjecting their vehicle to a less strenuous driving style (I try to "hyper mile" drive when I can) and our environment is pretty low stress on a vehicle. Given that others have gotten more mileage and still have 60% oil life left makes me wonder if the thing really is related to driving style and environment. I'm thinking the algorithm is based on something else or isn't well designed. In any event, I don't have the interest to have the oil quality tested at 60% and then at 0% and then compare it to others, so I'll just change the oil when it tells me to. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks. My point was I can't imagine someone subjecting their vehicle to a less strenuous driving style (I try to "hyper mile" drive when I can) and our environment is pretty low stress on a vehicle. Given that others have gotten more mileage and still have 60% oil life left makes me wonder if the thing really is related to driving style and environment. I'm thinking the algorithm is based on something else or isn't well designed. In any event, I don't have the interest to have the oil quality tested at 60% and then at 0% and then compare it to others, so I'll just change the oil when it tells me to. :)
Maybe it uses something like average speed to calculate the MM? I'm guessing your van is telling you to change it early due to the heavy city driving.

My van currently has about 3500 miles on it and our MM is only at 70%. However, we do almost exclusive highway driving about 85% vs only 15% city. I notice the same thing about my Honda Fit's MM. I do almost exclusive highway driving in that car as well, and I'm at pace to change the oil every 10K miles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is an interesting point and would agree that higher sustained speeds equate to highway driving. My wife drives highway back and forth to work with very little to no stop and go. We have always received fairly long intervals between changes because of this.

Not sure that hyperdriving would make any difference if you are still making a lot of stops and/or rolling at slow speed as this would still equate to higher engine temperatures and shorter oil life.

JD

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Here is your answer:
We drive mostly in the city,
I'll venture to guess that the algorithm is heavily biased towards changing the oil more often in an enviroment where you have frequent starts and stops, frequent idling, frequent variantes in RPM, etc. Crusing at a constant 65 MPH is less strenuous on the engine than mostly city driving.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Maybe it uses something like average speed to calculate the MM? I'm guessing your van is telling you to change it early due to the heavy city driving.

My van currently has about 3500 miles on it and our MM is only at 70%. However, we do almost exclusive highway driving about 85% vs only 15% city. I notice the same thing about my Honda Fit's MM. I do almost exclusive highway driving in that car as well, and I'm at pace to change the oil every 10K miles.
Perhaps that is it. We do about 60% of our driving in the city with most trips 6 miles or shorter. Our highway trips are about 60 miles each way every weekend in the summer. In the winter/spring (March/April/May) about 95% of the driving is in the city.

When the MM gets to 5%, I expect our mileage will be about 6,000 miles (van will be 6 months old). That works out to about 2 oil changes/year, which is fine with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts