Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
planning on doing my first oil change on 2006 model. If i use Mobil1, which oil should I use - 0W20? Is there a way to get oil and filter cheaper in bulk.

Changing oil with regular oil seems to be the same cost wise or am i missing something. With coupons, local mechanic changes it for 25 bucks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
25 bux for synthetic oil and filter!!! wow! smokin deal.......syn change at a lube place here in w canada is $80. I use a 5w30 M1 because its cheaper....i hate paying a premium for a 5w20

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
25 bux for synthetic oil and filter!!! wow! smokin deal.......syn change at a lube place here in w canada is $80. I use a 5w30 M1 because its cheaper....i hate paying a premium for a 5w20
I am sorry, I meant for regular oil change its 25 not synthetic. My comment was if I am going to do oil change by myself using regular oil then buying the oil and filter itself is around $25 so does not make much sense to do it by myself.

With synthetic is makes sense, as the stores overcharge for the synthetic oil and filter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just changed my oil today - the cost breakdown would be $26 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-20, $4 for a Fram oil filter. Total: $30 and about 25 minutes of my time.

Most oil change shops around here want upwards of $50.

If you're in Virginia, you probably don't need to be running 0w oil, although you won't hurt anything. Out here on the plains, I've found that engine wear is minimal running 5w-20 per "the book." If I lived a ways north of here, I'd likely run 0w oil...

Nate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed my oil today - the cost breakdown would be $26 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-20, $4 for a Fram oil filter. Total: $30 and about 25 minutes of my time.

If you're in Virginia, you probably don't need to be running 0w oil, although you won't hurt anything. Out here on the plains, I've found that engine wear is minimal running 5w-20 per "the book." If I lived a ways north of here, I'd likely run 0w oil...

Nate
Wow, where can I get Mobil1 oil for that price. please let me know. google search comes up with almost $10 per quart

·
Registered
128 Posts
Walmart here in Texas carries 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 in all weights for about $25.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Actually if you watch NAPA autoparts, twice a year, they have sales for synthetic (made by Valvoline).

I bought a whole bunch of 5W30 Napa Synthetic for $3.40/qt!
When the Napa sales is on, I buy enough for one-year supply.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Alternatives to dealer oil filter (which is made by Honeywell, Fram):

- Bosch 3323 (available at Autozone $5). This is what I have been using for 4 years.

- Mann ML-1008. FYI: Mann is the OEM filters for Volvo, Mercedes, BMW etc. so Mann is quality stuff.

Does anyone have an autopsy picture of Honda filter (which presumably has cardboard end cap!)?

-------------------
BTW, the Bosch 3323 is very solidly built, here is the autopsy of my Bosch 3323 after 5-6K miles, notice metal end cap:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here is a review that includes the Honda filter. Language is NOT SAFE FOR WORK, but it is obvious about the Honda filter.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Nate
Hi guys. Just want to share and ask if this is normal. As much i like to do my maintenance, i just can't. So, just had an oil change about 3 weeks ago and the invoice says just 1 qtr of oil??? As i never had any experience with changing oil-- still 1 qtr i think is not enough.. And then i saw this thread which looks like you need 5 qtr???? Am i screwed? Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
First of all, check your oil dipstick. My 05 takes 3.5 qts with a filter change. It's likely that the place you went to change oil uses (1) as a quantity place holder in their invoicing system for 1 unit of an oil change, (could be 3.5 quarts, could be 6) but it's from bulk oil container, not individual quarts off of the shelf.

·
Registered
159 Posts
LOL... thanks for the laugh... Dude is sniffing the fram filter...LOL:laugh:
Glad you enjoyed it. I hope people can understand why I say: "Friends don't let friends use Fram". They are crap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use Mobile 1 5W30, and buy them at Costco whenever they have $9 or $10 off per 6 qts pack, which comes out to like $25 for 6 qts box.

Also, I only use Honda oil filters (15400-PLM-A01, Not A02) which if you do a google search, there are many information as to which one is better.

That's what I use for my 3 hondas (05 Ody, 05 Accord, 10 Civic)...No problem what so ever.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Friends don't let friends use Fram. Please use Wix, Purolator Pure One, K&N, Mobil1, or Napa Gold filters.
+1!! 5w30 synthetic with K&N filter here(mobil 1 filter is the same and cheaper, just not avail where i am). don't dick around with the dino lube......if you can afford it, syn is the way to go. I got my syn oil thru craigslist - $25 a 5l jug............smokin deal!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also, I only use Honda oil filters (15400-PLM-A01, Not A02) which if you do a google search, there are many information as to which one is better.

That's what I use for my 3 hondas (05 Ody, 05 Accord, 10 Civic)...No problem what so ever.

Please watch the video that I posted (which I mentioned there was some unfortunate foul language within). I know that in the past Honda was known for very good filters, but this video clearly shows Honda has cheap-ified the OEM filter and they appear to use the same crappy design similar to Fram. Maybe this is something "NEW" and Honda has gone down this path to save money - I'm not sure. But, I'd consider WIX, Mobil1, and K&N over the Honda.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Please watch the video that I posted (which I mentioned there was some unfortunate foul language within). I know that in the past Honda was known for very good filters, but this video clearly shows Honda has cheap-ified the OEM filter and they appear to use the same crappy design similar to Fram. Maybe this is something "NEW" and Honda has gone down this path to save money - I'm not sure. But, I'd consider WIX, Mobil1, and K&N over the Honda.
SFR: That's why I said I use 15400-PLM-A01 part number filter, not the 15400-PLM-A02 filter. 15400-PLM-A02 is the crappy Fram looking filter with the paper stuff on top.

15400-PLM-A01 is the one honda used to use on all their vehicles (well with exception of 2 vehicles I am aware), and it is far better one. If you google the difference between 15400-PLM-A01 vs 15400-PLM-A02, then you will know what I mean.

I always make sure to buy the 15400-PLM-A01 in quantities to last me at least 2 oil changes (total of 6 filters for my 3 hondas), so I know what I use is good stuff.

However, if I can't find the 15400-PLM-A01, then I will go use probably mobile 1 or something similar. However, I haven't had any issues getting the 15400-PLM-A01 filter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts