Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil yesterday and I couldn't get the crushable washer off. It really had a deep impression of the drain hole. I got it off using channel locks and a wrench, had to thread it off. I never had to do that before. The previous oil change was done by the dealer when they did my timing belt.:mad: Found out today that our 06 Mazda 3 also has a crush washer, and the dealer charges $.90 each!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Overtightened.
Use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
14,241 Posts
Then do call the dealer's service manager and inform him. I have had to do so because of the incorrect tire pressures I was getting after having service. At a dealer, they are supposed to know and follow spec. Remind them.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
jkues said:
Like I said, it was done by the dealer....
My dealer didn't even know that my A/T had a replaceable canister filter. I can attest that overtorquing the crush washer will flatten it (I missed the "click" indicating I'd reached the proper torque, and went a bit over...it was noticeably flatter).

Even good dealers sometimes have one goober of a mechanic who makes mistakes.

Regards, OF

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've decided to start replacing the crush washers and start torquing the drain plug because of all the discussion. The first washer had some circular scores from repeated use, but never noticed any leaking (I've done all my own changes since new).

Can someone post the torque for the bolt? I've searched but couldn't easily find it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
According to the 99-04 manual....29 ft-lbs. Probably the same for the 3rd gen as well.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Never buy another crush washer

This is why some of us use a fumoto valve and I used a Fram Sure Drain. Once its installed and properly torqued you never have to worry about crush washers again (or stripping threads)...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Another thumbs up for the Fumoto!

Now if I could ever get it torqued correctly. One of these oil changes I will. I hope. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought van used. Recently completed first oil change. Dealer torqued plug so tight the crush washer was smashed nearly beyond recognition (to me at least). I almost doubled up with a new crush washer cause at first i thought the old one was part of the bolt/plug since it was a different diameter, about half as thick as the new one, fully jammed up into the threads and wouldn't even wiggle. Took me about 10 minutes with a very careful hacksaw to remove enough of the washer that i could pry it off.

I can post on 11 year old threads if my odyssey is over 11 years old, right?

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
I can post on 11 year old threads if my odyssey is over 11 years old, right?
Heck yeah, especially with an absolutely relevant post like the one you just made.

Man, I'm almost getting to think that the crush washer is there to protect the oil pan from dealer-induced oil plug tightening over-torque malfeasance.

OF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts