Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is this...Why is it that when I order "oil filters and washers" from Handa Accessories, I receive metal washers from them? I was expecting the blue nylon type washers. I've ordered twice and have received the metal washers both times. Aren't they supposed to be of the plastic crush type?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've been buying oil filters for years from different Honda dealerships and I've always received the aluminum washer. They use aluminum washers for the auto transmission drain and the rear differential (CRV) drain and fill plugs as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
These Crush washers are used by Honda as OEM and they work.
This crush washers made of a softer metal and is effective in sealing the nut and resisting heat. I think Honda did not use plastic because plastic cannot handle much heat.
I change them everytime I change my Oil & ATF.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
famguy said:
These Crush washers are used by Honda as OEM and they work.
This crush washers made of a softer metal and is effective in sealing the nut and resisting heat. I think Honda did not use plastic because plastic cannot handle much heat.
I change them everytime I change my Oil & ATF.
Strange, I could swear my oil filler cap is plastic, with a plastic gasket.

Personally, I think it is a gimmick to get you to use their dealers. Just like their requirement that only Honda brand brake fluid be used.

I've never had an oil pan drain plug come loose or drip, and I have owned many brands. Just put it on at the right torque and it's fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just change the washers everytime. Plus the dealer usually gives it to me at no charge. I think it wouldn't hurt if you don't use it but why not since it doesn't take any effort or time to use the washer. Best to keep with Honda specs. Same goes for fluids. Using non-Honda products would not hurt, but to be safe, using Honda fluids ensure the best performance. Maybe Oil and ATF excluding.

You've got a point with the plastic cover though.....:p

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
manualman said:
Strange, I could swear my oil filler cap is plastic, with a plastic gasket.

Personally, I think it is a gimmick to get you to use their dealers. Just like their requirement that only Honda brand brake fluid be used.

I've never had an oil pan drain plug come loose or drip, and I have owned many brands. Just put it on at the right torque and it's fine.
Yeah, I, too have never had a problem, except that my Caravan came WITHOUT a gasket on the plug and it did drip a little. I never did find out if it was supposed to seal that way, but, I went over to the local Generous Motors dealer and got one of their "plastic" gaskets and in the following seven years I never lost a drop. My Chevy Citation also had the same sort of plastic/nylon seal and also never leaked in ten years. The main problem I have with these Honda washers is the price. Unless they are made of kryptonite or something else exotic, I fail to see that they are anywhere near $1.50 worth. I can go to my local "Jesse James Hardware" and get a whole handful of may washers for that much. My guess is that they could be reused quite well.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm pretty sure the washers are aluminum, and only 5 or 10 cents each.

Going without them is a bad idea. Reuse them if necessary.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dealers should charge, if they do charge, around 50 cents for those washers. $1.50 is overpriced. I think the washer can be reused several times as long as its condition is still good. I've reused one for 2 oil changes already and it still looks good as new.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Honda oil drain plug washer is listed 25 cents. H and A is selling 19 cents each. Typical dealer will replace it as oil filter. Why re-use it for 25 cents? If you are a DIY to me to spend extra 25 cents is worth than to have any oil dripping on my drive way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts