Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have used one of these before, different company, and it worked fine. However, I was never certain that it got all of the old oil out. I went back to the drain plug. I like getting under cars to see what is going on under the car on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have used a small hand operated pump to empty that last 300 cc's from the sump. Have not tried it on the Odyssey yet. It has a brass barrel with a flapper valve on the plunger and is designed for draining oil from an inboard motor on a boat thru the dip stick hole. Available at most marine supply stores. I'll see if I still have the package insert.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from the arctic (or close to it right now),
Just a thought to consider...
Using an extractor, would there be an increased likelihood of sludge buildup over time, depending on the quality of oil you use, service severity and frequency of change? It would seem that by sucking the oil out vs. draining it,sludge, if any, would not flush out and may tend to accumulate.

------------------
2000 Odyssey EX (my girlie's)
1991 Accord EXR (mine)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I drain it from the drain plug and next, in addition, suck out the last 300 cc's with the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts