Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2002 Odyssey with 280k on it has more that one oil leak. My shop tells me that one of the larger oil leaks is coming from the oil filter adapter. I can't find anything online to show me the part or it's location. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Yeah, the oil filter adapter is a known leak point. I replaced recently the o-rings #13 and #15 on mine, as shown in this diagram.

Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
I replaced the o-rings on our ody a couple years ago. It was not hard to do.
You might want to consider replacing #17 - The oil pressure sensor for the variable valve timing VTEC. It failed on our ody while towing a trailer going up hill. Not the best time to have this happen. The engine would simply shut off if going to higher RPMs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Try some ATP AT-205 Re-Seal seal conditioner. Worked like magic on my Odyssey (2003, 212,000 miles).

Reactions: siscot

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
To the best of my recollection, just a dribble.

I think I removed the oil filter first. If you do your own oil changes, you already know that can be messy. However, I use a modified soda bottle to make it a clean operation (a tip received many years ago from a fellow forum member).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the best of my recollection, just a dribble.

I think I removed the oil filter first. If you do your own oil changes, you already know that can be messy. However, I use a modified soda bottle to make it a clean operation (a tip received many years ago from a fellow forum member).
Can you explain the soda bottle modification please. Less mess is less work.Thanks.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Quite simple really.

Cut enough off the top of a 2-liter soda or juice bottle that it fits between the frame and the filter base, leaving some space for your fingers to unscrew the filter (loosen it first before inserting the bottle). The oil drippings from the loosened filter go into the bottle rather than over yourself or the ground.

After you fully unscrew the filter, let it also fall into the bottle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts