Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I bought ten Honda filters from Manchester Honda, www.manhonda.com, for $39.95 and they came with a filter wrench at no extra charge.

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
70 Posts
The link you posted is a good one.

This is a similar study.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

They both come to basically the same conclusions, including the fact that Fram now makes an absolute horror of an oil filter.

It's also interesting that you can save money by buying different brands of the same basic filter (I learned through both of these links, for example, that the Motorcraft filter is basically a Purolator Pure One filter in a Purolator Premium Plus case, and at less than three bucks it's cheaper than either).

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my 2001 Car Manual, Honda recommends changing the oil filter only EVERY OTHER oil change. In other words, only every 15,000 miles! That is all the manufacturer requires to maintain warranty coverage. Honda does not dictate filter brand, either. Assuming I change the oil with the filter every 5000 miles or so, I will use whatever filter is convenient and cheap. I have put many hundreds of thousands of miles on Honda engines and have never regretted this philosophy.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
While materials and construction are better guides than nothing, keep in mind that these websites do not actually measure how well these filters acutally work. It's all speculation as to how efficient they are, and how effective they are for smaller particles. Ones which do very well may also clog up more quickly. As with anything there are tradeoffs. If you change your oil every 3750 and don't have any real severe service (towing, extreme temps, etc), I suspect whichever name brand oil and filter that is on sale would be fine.

I've been using OEM filters for our Odyssey and Subaru, since they aren't too expensive online so I order them when I buy other parts and accessories...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts