Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what company manufacturers the oil filter (for Honda) for the 2010 Honda Odyssey?

If I had to guess I would say WIX

·
Registered
847 Posts
Why does this matter buy a oil filter and use it there are so many options out there all with there own pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
They used to be made by Filtech. Now I think they might be made by Fram. The Filtech ones are very good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had a definite answer on this. There's no way in hell I would put any filter made by framing my vehicle. As far as the filtech one is concerned, I would do some research.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently (have been for years) run a Wix XP oil filter.
I've been told multiple times that wix is an excellent filter.

Recommendations

·
Registered
32 Posts
The XP are nice filters, as are the ultra series of Fram. Contrary to popular belief, Fram currently makes one of the best oil filters out there. Check out BITOG.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wish I had a definite answer on this. There's no way in hell I would put any filter made by framing my vehicle. As far as the filtech one is concerned, I would do some research.
I'm often struck by what appears to be inconsistent behavior. Here's what I'd say if we were sitting together at a bar:

So, you trust Honda engineers to create a very good vehicle by writing specifications for manufacturing operations from engine clocks to ECUs, both within Honda and by suppliers. But ya don't trust 'em to get oil filters good enough to protect the engine. Why not?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use the Fram Ultra (did a bit of research, nothing wrong with this filter) and here is my reason. I buy my oil at Walmart so since I'm in the same aisle I get a filter and because I don't want to drive to the dealer just for a filter. I could order online and get the supplies delivered but prefer to get them in person, I'm weird like that.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use the Fram Ultra (did a bit of research, nothing wrong with this filter) and here is my reason. I buy my oil at Walmart so since I'm in the same aisle I get a filter and because I don't want to drive to the dealer just for a filter. I could order online and get the supplies delivered but prefer to get them in person, I'm weird like that.
Let me clarify...I'm not advocating for sticking only with Honda. I'm wondering why someone would avoid a Honda branded product, made to Honda specs, because it's manufactured by Fram.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Let me clarify...I'm not advocating for sticking only with Honda. I'm wondering why someone would avoid a Honda branded product, made to Honda specs, because it's manufactured by Fram.
In the past I've used Honda filters, it's just a convenience level for me to grab a Fram filter.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I'm often struck by what appears to be inconsistent behavior. Here's what I'd say if we were sitting together at a bar:

So, you trust Honda engineers to create a very good vehicle by writing specifications for manufacturing operations from engine clocks to ECUs, both within Honda and by suppliers. But ya don't trust 'em to get oil filters good enough to protect the engine. Why not?
I hate to tell you this, but manufacturers are not interested in making a vehicle last much beyond the current expectations. In reality right now that is 10 years and 150-200K miles. There are many "better" filters out there than OEM. The questions are is it really necessary, is it worth it, etc. Some here do want "good enough", some whatever is the cheapest, and others want much better. To each his own.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hate to tell you this, but manufacturers are not interested in making a vehicle last much beyond the current expectations. In reality right now that is 10 years and 150-200K miles. There are many "better" filters out there than OEM. The questions are is it really necessary, is it worth it, etc. Some here do want "good enough", some whatever is the cheapest, and others want much better. To each his own.
wix all the way.......

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
wix all the way.......
Nothing wrong with them obviously. Over the 230K miles on my Ody I've used Fram Tough Guard (gasp) primarily. Full synthetic oil every 5K and engine is pristine when you peek in the fill cap, set the oil level at the top of the full range at the time of the change, and level doesn't drop over the course of 5K miles. That includes a mix of 1 mile commutes each way for my wife to work and weekly 100 mile each way trips to my MIL's house. Add in a few 10-20 mile local trips over the course of the 5K and that's the kind of driving it gets. I've picked up 10 Wix filters off RockAuto because of the Ody and MDX both using the same filter and Walmart has crept up on their pricing and just spun one of those yesterday, but the engine is obviously no worse for the use of Fram. IMO diligent timing on the oil changes is far more important than which filter is used, but I'll admit I've never used the cheapest thing I could find always picking something in the mid-range price wise.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For gods sake dont buy fram. People who cut apart filters and make random observations will make fun of you.
I went with supertech last time. $3. Looks as good as any, a little small.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I stocked up on the old Honda oil filters made by Filtech. I think you can still buy them at some places. I bought a couple cases of them so I have about 50 in stock. Should last me awhile. My son’s Accord uses the same filter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
No way in hell I'm going to use a fram filter PERIOD!!!!!

Fram has a reputation for the pressure valve getting stuck open and not filtering.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
No way in hell I'm going to use a fram filter PERIOD!!!!!
THEY ARE JUNK!!!!!
I understand the sentiment and occasionally encounter someone with the same opinion, but I've used them for almost 40 years without an issue. Never had a problem. I'm not advocating for them or advising against. I've always heard good things about Wix and have used them here and there. Glad they work well for you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand the sentiment and occasionally encounter someone with the same opinion, but I've used them for almost 40 years without an issue. Never had a problem. I'm not advocating for them or advising against. I've always heard good things about Wix and have used them here and there. Glad they work well for you.

Sorry. I didn't mean to come off too harsh. I know you're trying to help.

I really don't like fram and I really don't like Quaker State (conventional oil).

Fram had a reputation for the pressure valve sticking open (so the oil doesn't get filtered).

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I used to buy the Filtech "A01" filters on eBay but they are getting pretty scarce. There is a new part number, 15400-RTA-003, for filters made by Mahle Tennex that I bought last time. Mahle is a Japanese company that makes some great quality stuff. These filters are likely better than the A02 Fram filters but probably not quite as good as the Filtech A01 filters.
My opinion on the Honda oil filters is this. With variable valve timing engines it is important to have the proper pressure and flow. While you can go over to BITOG and find opinions on oil and filters as numerous as the sands on the beach, Honda engineers decided what filter specs the engine needed. As long as they filter and don't break down prior to the every other oil change interval that Honda recommended for these engines, I stick with them. I've fixed a few P3400/P3497 codes just by changing oil and filters and going with an OEM filter. It's not that they're "the best" for this or that but they are known good starting point for assuring this engine performs as expected.

If you change your filter at every oil change then the filter only need to last half as long as Honda spec'd them for. Not sure why they ever decided to go with a filter change every other oil change as nobody ever does that, including the dealers.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
816 Posts

Just went down to my garage to check the one I got a few years ago. I remember to have read something about like what @John Clark was saying.

Reactions: thscott
1 - 20 of 28 Posts